It's mentioned in the CB news article. Going to be available for download on both Android and iOS, from BlackBerry.
    Okay I haven't read that yet but I certainly will. Thanks!
    04-18-19 09:14 AM
    I love BBM. I like seeing the delivered and received icons. I like knowing my message went through. It's nice having a way to send messages even if all I have is a WiFi connection. Ah well. I'm not down to pay for messaging. Hopefully this all works out better for them but I'm not hopeful. This along with no new phone for all of 2019 is a little scary. My KEYone is showing its age. It's almost time to upgrade and I'm looking elsewhere. 10 years of loyalty down the drain.
    Why would you not upgrade to the Key2?
    I ordered one (PRIV battery was going bad) and the upgrade is MASSIVE - when mine arrived it had SIX GIG of main memory and 128 G of storage. It is FAST and I regularly get 2 full days of usage.
    04-18-19 09:15 AM
    I love BBM. I like seeing the delivered and received icons. I like knowing my message went through. It's nice having a way to send messages even if all I have is a WiFi connection. Ah well. I'm not down to pay for messaging. Hopefully this all works out better for them but I'm not hopeful. This along with no new phone for all of 2019 is a little scary. My KEYone is showing its age. It's almost time to upgrade and I'm looking elsewhere. 10 years of loyalty down the drain.
    We technically don’t have anything more than same approximately two years of loyalty with BBMo regarding hardware. The BBM aspect isn’t loyalty since you’ve been a client of Emtek once BB licensed it off.

Get anything you like, but you’re upset towards a company that broke up with you 2-3 years ago. Buying a Key2 doesn’t matter to BB and subscribing to BBMe does nothing for BBMo as far as I can tell.
    04-18-19 10:03 AM
    We technically don’t have anything more than same approximately two years of loyalty with BBMo regarding hardware. The BBM aspect isn’t loyalty since you’ve been a client of Emtek once BB licensed it off.

Get anything you like, but you’re upset towards a company that broke up with you 2-3 years ago. Buying a Key2 doesn’t matter to BB and subscribing to BBMe does nothing for BBMo as far as I can tell.
    Only surprise here... is timing. One would have taught that there would be more time between and announcement and a shutdown. First time I read it I taught it meant May31 a year from now, not in just over a month.

I doubt BBMo getting anything out of BBMe, even if it gets packaged with devices going forward. Especially as it's free for the next year... 5% of 0 is 0.

Does add more ammunition to the taught that BBM for BB10 and BBOS might end at the end of the year too. BBMe probable isn't going to capture but a fraction of the BBM users out there...
    04-18-19 10:16 AM
    taught
    What is the deal with the missing "h" in your taught process posts DDD? This has been going on for many, many posts. Sorry for my anal retentiveness and off-topic question.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    04-18-19 10:19 AM
    What is the deal with the missing "h" in your taught process posts DDD? This has been going on for many, many posts. Sorry for my anal retentiveness and off-topic question.
    Tweetyisms and Fuddisms are suspected....
    04-18-19 10:50 AM
    Glad I'm not the only one that noticed. Post upvoted!
    04-18-19 10:57 AM
    yeah...WTF?

Also, you'd think Crackberry would have already been all over this. Instead, crickets.

Another BlackBerry feature gone. Not much left of the "Blackberry experience."
    5 hours ago - https://crackberry.com/emtek-consumer-bbm. Pretty much the same time the message went out.
    04-18-19 12:30 PM
    It still exists. Free for the next year and then 6-month subscriptions of $2.50. So $5 a year if you need it that badly. Sadly I'm just gonna use SMS. It's free and it works.
    Good to know, true but I use it with family in 3 continents.

Do you have a link with this info?
    04-18-19 01:02 PM
    Good to know, true but I use it with family in 3 continents.

Do you have a link with this info?
    View the official post here https://blog.bbm.com/2019/04/18/time...glish-version/

Click on the FAQ link in the blog for the details on BBMe
    04-18-19 01:26 PM
    This will mark the end of BBM as we know it. People don't pay for messaging apps. Even if you are willing to pay for a subscription, your contacts won't. Whatapp even abandoned their $1 a year price after Facebook bought them as advertising and user monetization are better bets for consistent revenue.
    04-18-19 01:30 PM
    This will mark the end of BBM as we know it. People don't pay for messaging apps. Even if you are willing to pay for a subscription, your contacts won't. Whatapp even abandoned their $1 a year price after Facebook bought them as advertising and user monetization are better bets for consistent revenue.
    Well they have a year to figure out if it's worth them bringing back an advertising supported option...

But if BlackBerry were really wanting to keep it going... they'd take over from Emtek who has apparently defaulted on their deal with BlackBerry. And just use the existing application, and not require users to download something new.

Public Relations is all this offering of BBMe amounts to in my view.
    04-18-19 01:39 PM
    BBM as we know it ceased to exist when licensed and offshored to Emtek which in hindsight was a brilliant move by Chen and management.

I suspect Emtek already data mined the user base for it’s uses. As Conite said elsewhere, BBMe is BB just being nice for 12 months on some “in the middle” user base...
    Mecca EL likes this.
    04-18-19 01:44 PM
    I pay for messaging, though I know I'm an outlier: $13/year for a virtual machine (in Montreal) to host an XMPP server with 8 users. It's private, secure (with OMEMO encryption enabled and hashed passwords), stable, and doesn't come anywhere close to using up the server's bandwidth.

The thing is, there are so many great options these days that if people do pay, they have a lot of choice.
    04-18-19 02:37 PM
    I pay for messaging, though I know I'm an outlier: $13/year for a virtual machine (in Montreal) to host an XMPP server with 8 users. It's private, secure (with OMEMO encryption enabled and hashed passwords), stable, and doesn't come anywhere close to using up the server's bandwidth.

The thing is, there are so many great options these days that if people do pay, they have a lot of choice.
    yeah can host your own 'cloud' but few will, even something relatively simple like Plex is pretty small potatoes in the streaming world. People want something one-click and that has a large user base, how the 'free' part gets paid for is not their concern.
    anon(10512033) and ppeters914 like this.
    04-18-19 03:00 PM
    Well, just switched over to BBMe with a 1 year free trial then $5 per year there after. Problem solved! Also, there are a limited amount of stickers there too. Just sayin! Cheers,
    BBeast likes this.
    04-18-19 05:56 PM
    Well, just switched over to BBMe with a 1 year free trial then $5 per year there after. Problem solved! Also, there are a limited amount of stickers there too. Just sayin! Cheers,
    I can’t find the new BBMe app in the IOS store yet?
    04-18-19 06:52 PM
    It's the BBM enterprise app. Ours is in the Playstore. Hopefully soon then,
    04-18-19 07:00 PM
    It's the BBM enterprise app. Ours is in the Playstore. Hopefully soon then,
    I tried the enterprise app and it said if my company didn’t have enterprise, I couldn’t use it???
    04-18-19 07:34 PM
    Only the Android version of BBMe is available yet, IPhone version coming soon®.

Posted via CB10
    anon(10387168) likes this.
    04-18-19 07:38 PM
    I tried the enterprise app and it said if my company didn’t have enterprise, I couldn’t use it???
    On the android version it's the same. Press continue then select individual and check off the 1 year free trial. I would imagine the apple version is the same. Please let us know,
    04-18-19 07:38 PM
    The problem is that a message app's value is the SQUARE of its userbase count. BBM's userbase is already small, but it's now going to be positively tiny, and I wouldn't be shocked by a similar announcement about BBMe a year from now. $5/year isn't going to pay for server costs, much less any development or anything. It's just a "soft-landing strategy" IMO.

BB's focus is on enterprise software solutions, not phones or consumer apps & services. That means, as something outside of their core business, it could go away at any time (though they'll likely give some notice). That's also going to keep a lot of people away.
    ppeters914 and Mecca EL like this.
    04-18-19 09:10 PM
    The problem is that a message app's value is the SQUARE of its userbase count. BBM's userbase is already small, but it's now going to be positively tiny, and I wouldn't be shocked by a similar announcement about BBMe a year from now. $5/year isn't going to pay for server costs, much less any development or anything. It's just a "soft-landing strategy" IMO.

BB's focus is on enterprise software solutions, not phones or consumer apps & services. That means, as something outside of their core business, it could go away at any time (though they'll likely give some notice). That's also going to keep a lot of people away.
    My unicorn just died.
    04-18-19 09:28 PM
    Yes, the regular BBM app managed by Emtek for the last few years is throwing in the towel. But BlackBerry itself has stepped up and is offering the enterprise version to consumers. If you have an Andriod device, simply uninstall your BBM app. Then go to Google Play store and download and install the BBMe app, and you'll be back to normal.
    04-18-19 10:07 PM
    I wouldn't be shocked by a similar announcement about BBMe a year from now.
    And you wouldn't have been shocked if that had happened to BBMe two years ago. And yet here we are.

Sometimes the truth really is stranger than fiction. And fiction is, well you know, just plain old fiction.
    04-18-19 10:10 PM
159 1234 ...