Hey guys,

Under my options>encryption setting, the encryption is set to disabled. Should I leave it as that or enable it. What is the purpose of having it enabled?
    10-10-10 08:44 PM
    Those options give you the ability to ecrypt the data like device memory and memory card files. If you have very sensitive info on your phone or memory card then you might want to try it.
    10-10-10 08:56 PM
    Just a caution - I've read that if you encrypt your sd card and something happens to the current phone, you cannot UNencrypt it on a new phone so your data would be lost. Now, as noted above, if you have sensitive data it might be worth the risk.
    10-11-10 12:46 AM
  4. T
    These are actually very good questions. If we leave the media card out of the dicussion (it's removable, and therefore it's understandable why it might be desireable to encrypt the files on it), why would a user want to encrypt device memory data if the device is password protected? Is it to protect the backup file? Is it so no one can physically disassemble the blackberry and get to the data by somehow circumventing the password? Some other reason? The only reason I can think of is the address book. If encryption is enabled, and the address book is included, the caller ID will show only the number instead of the contact name, pic, etc. I hope to read some more thoughts on this.
    Last edited by Tnis; 10-11-10 at 08:15 AM.
    10-11-10 08:09 AM
  5. T
    Okay, I thought of one important concern, and it's a biggie. Are saved emails stored on the media card? But even if that's so, media card encryption seems to be a seperate encryption setting. I found two:

1. Options>Security>General Settings>Content Protection (enabled or disabled)

2. Options>Media Card>Encrypt Media Files (yes or no) with a choice of encryption mode.

Therefore, my question is as follows: if content protection (setting #1 above) is disabled, and media files (in setting #2 above) are set to be encrypted, are IM conversations and saved emails (if those are actually stored on the media card) encrypted???
    10-11-10 08:38 AM
    Encryption on the SD card is not a good idea if:

1. You have to wipe and reload the OS (or upgrading it, which sometimes DOESN'T transfer the decrypt key)

2. Lose your berry and need to get a new one.

3. Use the memory card on a computer, because copying files to it will not encrypt them that way.

E-mails aren't stored on the card.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-11-10 10:15 AM
  7. T
    E-mails aren't stored on the card.
    Thank you!
    10-11-10 11:56 AM
    Well I dont password protect my phone. And if I ever have any sensitive information on my berry, it is all in the password keeper application. So can I just leave encryption on disabled?
    10-12-10 05:15 PM
  9. T
    Well I dont password protect my phone. And if I ever have any sensitive information on my berry, it is all in the password keeper application. So can I just leave encryption on disabled?
    Well, the content protection (encryption) is either on (enabled) or off (disabled). You're not worried about your information? You should consider using a password even if it's just to prevent some riff raff from sending picture mail of his crotch to all your contacts. I've heard of it happening, lol. Just saying ...

PS -- If you're a password user, don't forget to vote in my content protection poll:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/cont...w-users-538043
    Last edited by Tnis; 10-12-10 at 05:48 PM.
    10-12-10 05:22 PM
  10. T
    Anyone care to provide the answer:

What is the purpose of having it (encryption) enabled?
    Before you simply answer, "It adds a layer of security," please consider the following supplemental question: How does it add a layer of security if a device password is already in use? A password even has to be entered before it's possible to make a backup using DM. Please share if you know the answer ....
    10-21-10 08:35 PM
    I have seen some blackberries where the use said it was encrypted to the max pretty much and it costed them about $1000. Is that true?
    11-06-10 03:04 PM
  12. T
    I have seen some blackberries where the use said it was encrypted to the max pretty much and it costed them about $1000. Is that true?
    Not sure what this means. Could you please clarify?
    11-06-10 03:06 PM
    Not sure what this means. Could you please clarify?

I have seen blackberries where there were multiple 3rd party apps i believe, or some settings that said it was encrypting the data. I assume it is a 3rd party app due to the fact of being $1k
    11-06-10 03:13 PM
    I use encryption because it keeps all my sensitive data safe, if someone was to steal an iPhone for example they could easily remove all your personal information and use your phone, not so easy with a bricked berry that needs an encrytion key to be restored.
    11-08-10 04:55 PM
  15. T
    From the BlackBerry Security Knowledge Base:

"If Content Protection is enabled on the smartphone, then user data on the smartphone is stored encrypted using AES-256. Thus, even if someone reads the user data directly from the device hardware, theres no way to decrypt the data without the smartphone password."

It would appear that, without content protection, it might be possible to get around password protection by using forensic equipment to read data directly from the device hardware. Therefore, my content protection is set to ON.

12-18-10 07:10 PM
    From the BlackBerry Security Knowledge Base:

"If Content Protection is enabled on the smartphone, then user data on the smartphone is stored encrypted using AES-256. Thus, even if someone reads the user data directly from the device hardware, theres no way to decrypt the data without the smartphone password."

It would appear that, without content protection, it might be possible to get around password protection by using forensic equipment to read data directly from the device hardware. Therefore, my content protection is set to ON.

Oh wow, AES 256 is pretty neat. I guess ill enable it so I can be fully secure. That's what berrys are for right? Lol

12-18-10 08:50 PM
  17. T
    More valuable information from the BlackBerry Internet Service Security Feature Overview (v. 3.2) that explains the benefit of using content protection in addition to a password:

"When you set up encryption of your BlackBerry device data using the content protection feature, your BlackBerry device is designed to be protected against users with malicious intent who could attempt to steal your data directly from the internal hardware. No one can read your encrypted data without your device password.

"In the Security Options, you can set the Content Protection Strength level. The BlackBerry device then encrypts your data (for example, messages, contact entries, and tasks). The Content Protection Strength level optimizes either the encryption strength or the decryption time. When your BlackBerry device decrypts a message that it received while locked, the BlackBerry device uses an encryption key. More encryption strength means a longer decryption process.

"If you set the content protection strength to Stronger, use a minimum length of 12 characters for the BlackBerry device password. If you setthe content protection strength to Strongest, use a minimum length of 21 characters. These password lengths maximize the encryption strength that these settings are designed to provide." [emphasis mine]

Sometimes I turn content protection off. But I do that only on occasions when it's critical that I remain online and signed in to instant messaging programs. I've found that when encryption is enabled, and the device is locked, IM clients have a tendency to go offline until the device is unlocked, at which point automatic sign in signs me back in.
    01-26-11 09:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD