JRSCCivic98: The OP starts Post 1 by quoting RIM as saying that the "Start GPS" option is deliberately not present in the Verizon 8830 WE. In Post 4, you point out that he can replace that version of BB Maps with one from another vendor that does have "Start GPS" capability. My point is, my Verizon 8830 BBMaps has "Start GPS." I didn't realize some didn't. I'm running OS 4.2.2.176, which as of Saturday was the latest version for Verizon. I did Saturday perform John Clark's memory optimization. The OS I loaded on my PC is 4.2.2.176, same as was on my blackberry. So I don't think that changed my BBMaps. Why would one Verizon 8830WE have "Start GPS" and another not?
    You only have "Start GPS" as an option if you have a Bluetooth GPS dongle attached to the phone and your GPS option set to use that device for GPS usage. If you set your option to internal GPS you will loose "Start GPS" as an option in BBMaps. That's because by default the BBMaps loads on the Verizon BB without the internal_gps cod api file. That's how it was in previous OS version and unless something has litteraly changed in the last 2 releases that's how it still is. I'll doublecheck today just to be sure, but these are the details on it. What'll suck even more is that with OS4.5 BBMaps is now going to be Service Book controlled. So, because of that, a carrier will have the option of not giving you access to the program if they wish to. cod loads can be manipulated on the BBs currently, but Service Books cannot so this sort of change could easily "help" carriers to push their own pay-for mapping apps. The change to the way BBMaps is controlled in OS4.5 is most likely due to some AT&T pressure towards RIM. Currently by default BBMaps does not load on AT&T BBs and there's an easily work around for loading it. It's possible that AT&T was loosing revenue for TelNav (and now their own branded version of TelNav) that they got RIM to change how BBMaps functionality actually worked. The bad part is that when you look up locations from your address book for a contact and ask to map them, by default a BB will pull up BBMaps. With OS4.5 this feature could have been stripped entirely (bad move) or it could have been tailored to use whatever mapping application is loaded, like Google Maps. (good move) But that's way off conversation here... but it's info you will find interesting.
    04-06-08 11:44 AM
    The bad part is that when you look up locations from your address book for a contact and ask to map them, by default a BB will pull up BBMaps. With OS4.5 this feature could have been stripped entirely (bad move) or it could have been tailored to use whatever mapping application is loaded, like Google Maps.
    I'm using the Freedom Keychain 2000 puck, so that explains the "Start GPS." I have BBMaps, Google Maps, and Nav4All currently installed. When I select a contact, I get options to "Navigate to (Nav4All);" "Display map (Nav4All);" and "Show on Google Maps." I'm using OS 4.2.2.176. Are you saying that functionality will go away with OS4.5?

Sorry for drifting off topic. I'll let this be my last post on this thread.
    04-06-08 12:03 PM
    I'm using the Freedom Keychain 2000 puck, so that explains the "Start GPS."
    Exactly, just what I said. I knew you use Bluetooth GPS and that's why I knew immediatly why you had that option. If you change to Internal GPS instead of your Bluetooth, the option will go away. However, I have that option with Internal GPS as well because I loaded up the missing internal_gps api cod.

As for the second part of your question, it depends on if the app built for BB has the api info to tie into the address book. If it does't, it won't work. We'll see how it behaves once 4.5 is out of BETA. Whenever the hack that'll be.

You know, with HTML email being introduced in 4.5, and memory being limited on these devices (with slight exception of 96MB in the 8330 devices) I wonder if anyone will try to sue RIM over having insufficient resources built into the device to properly cover core functionality on the system. After all, HTML email will take more room then the 1989 text based email we have now. I don't understand why RIM can't setup an OS to use caching of memory on a memory card for some of it's app data caching. Mapping software alone kills the internal memory with it's map data cache alone. Those silly Canadians better step it up....
    04-06-08 12:41 PM
    Hey JRS,

If you've got what certainly sounds like a solution, because you "have that option with Internal GPS as well because I loaded up the missing internal_gps api cod" then how about sharing how you did it?
    05-21-08 10:48 PM
    The GPS in all cell phones are 'stand alone' - or autonomous. They have to be - it's an FCC requirement for E-911.
    I know this thread is old, but I just came across this post and was wondering if kch50428 could provide more info about this requirement?

AFAIK, FCC rules require wireless carriers to provide latitude and longitude info to PSAPS for emergency callers, but the rules don't specify the exact technology to be used:

[can't post URL but I can provide on request]

If kch50428 is aware of a specific rule to the contrary, I'd like to know about it.

Thanx
    11-24-09 09:02 AM
    Hi all,

Did any one of Sprint User ever used GPS on their BB with GSM mode. I am able to get GPS fix on CDMA mode, while on GSM mode, there is no GPS availability. Does it require any trick or Sprint has blocked GPS services for GSM use.

Regards

Tarun
    12-05-09 01:17 AM
    According to this post, GPS is only available on the 8830 in CDMA mode. It sounds like your experience corroborates JRSCCivic98's.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f61/gps-maps-22213/
    12-05-09 08:50 AM
    Just to add to the confusion;

On BB Maps, I have the "Start GPS Navigation" option. I have no external dongle. My GPS settings are for "Device GPS" and "Location On".

When I press "Start GPS Navigation" it says "Searching for Satellites" but never does anything else.

This is with the latest firmware (v 4.5.0.138). Verizon phone.

I think I'm just going to get an external dongle, since the odds of cracking the GPS seems slim to none. What's the cheapest external dongle that works the best with this phone?
    12-08-09 11:29 AM
    Just to add to the confusion;

On BB Maps, I have the "Start GPS Navigation" option. I have no external dongle. My GPS settings are for "Device GPS" and "Location On".

When I press "Start GPS Navigation" it says "Searching for Satellites" but never does anything else.

This is with the latest firmware (v 4.5.0.138). Verizon phone.

I think I'm just going to get an external dongle, since the odds of cracking the GPS seems slim to none. What's the cheapest external dongle that works the best with this phone?
    BBMaps should work for you with no external GPS needed. Verizon enabled the internal GPS for BBMaps a year ago with OS 4.5. It only works for VZNav and BBMaps, but it does work. Make sure you are outdoors with a clear view of the sky, and that you have a cell signal. The 8830 GPS uses Assisted GPS, and won't work without a cell signal.

I used a Freedom Keychain 2000 with my Verizon 8830 before Verizon enabled the internal GPS. The Freedom is available in the CrackBerry store.
    12-08-09 11:35 AM
    Ohh. I see. So now I can use the maps, but still can't get any directions unless I use VZNav?

Well, at least if I'm lost I can stop and figure it out now, so I guess that's somewhat useful.
    12-08-09 11:38 AM
    BBMaps can give you routes, but if you mean verbal directions, the only options are VZNav or an external GPS. With an external GPS, you can use Nav4All, Garmin Mobile, and amAze, all of which give spoken directions.
    12-08-09 11:41 AM
    Yeah, I meant verbal directions.

I went outside and tested it, sure enough, it works now. Why did they decide to enable it? The written directions on BBMaps seem good enough. I'll probably save my money and not get an external.

I'm glad I finally updated to 4.5 and found all this out. I seem to remember trying to update a long time ago, but it didn't work and I just gave up.
    12-08-09 11:47 AM
    I don't know why Verizon enabled it, but I was very glad they did. At the time, I assumed all 3rd party GPS apps would soon work, but that hasn't proven to be the case. Either Verizon won't license the other vendors (Google, for example), the vendors won't pay Verizon's price, or there's some other factor at work.
    12-08-09 12:03 PM
    I have read thru this entire thread from 3 years ago when Verizon disabled GPS to 1 year ago when they have enabled it in version 4.5.

I have a Blackberry Curve 8330 thru Verizon
    When I press these three keys at the same time Alt-Shift-H (Help) I see that I have App Version 4.5.0.77

When I do a Blackberry Curve GPS self-test as follows: Options --> Status --> type T E S T --> press OK --> press Start --> Select GPS --> press Run --> press OK --> Start Fixing

This test fails immediately with the error Failure: GPS fixing times out!

Does this mean that GPS is not enabled with version 4.5 on this phone?

Thanks.
    01-29-10 12:04 AM
    4.5.0.77 is several revisions out of date. I don't remember which 4.5.n.n version turned on the GPS, but based on your results, it must have been a later version. You can find the latest OS 4.5 version stickied at the top of the 8330 forum. That version will enable the GPS for BBMaps and Bing. It still won't work with Google Maps or any other GPS apps that I know of today. Bing is a recent addition.
    01-30-10 09:16 AM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD