Obviously, the code is written into the VZNav (or whatever it's called) software that unlocks your GPS. So Verizon wants you to pay for it. I am sure their Techs worked hard to ensure there is no way for the end-user to unlock that feature of the phone. They knew people would pull their hair out trying to beat the system.
    03-28-08 11:41 AM
    Cant we just DL verizon navigator...and figure out what type of authentication key turns on the GPS functionality...

(I am not saying try and get free verizon navigator) I am saying figure out what part of the program enables the GPS and then create our own little GPS APP

Anyone have a good decompile program??
    03-28-08 02:36 PM
    My 8310 + AT&T + Google Maps = Excellent GPS functionality! I have no problems with it. Let VZ know you are on to their monopolistic practices!
    03-28-08 03:15 PM
    So if Sprint phones have the correct firmware...and the FCC requires they stand alone and use GPS NOT aGPS, what is stopping verizon users from reflashing their firmware....I mean it was possible with the xbox so you could play burnt games...why not do it here...

Also...Verizon/sprint obviously flashes the firmware themselves (WITHOUT OPENING THE CASE THROUGH USB bc I am sure RIM is not installing the cripling software....soooo all you techs that work for sprint/verizon lets get on this and re-flash us some working GPS!

So after re-flashing the firmware on the device.... I would imagine you can then call *228 and/or some 1-800 number to set your phone up for verizons CDMA flavor. The CDMA screen settings can be found as I said:

##000000 send

Input please :-)
    Ain't gona happen. I can load any OS version from any carrier I choose onto my 8830. It's not going to magically unlock GPS, it's been tried, and we know why it doesn't work. Where have you been?

And yes, I know you said Firmware... the firmware is included with the OS if you didn't already know.

Cant we just DL verizon navigator...and figure out what type of authentication key turns on the GPS functionality...

(I am not saying try and get free verizon navigator) I am saying figure out what part of the program enables the GPS and then create our own little GPS APP

Anyone have a good decompile program??
    There are no aviable decompile programs for cod files. VZNav is in cod format which is compiled and digitally signed with Blackberry program compiler. Many have tied to break this, but have been unable to. This is part of what makes a Blackberry so secure (for now anyways). The more people mess with it the more unlocked it will get. There's a lot of security involved in how a Blackberry works even to the level of DOD standards. It's hackable, but it very hard. Your general Internet Forum hacks are not going to work on it. Some things are already hackable on the device, like tethering and so forth. The time will come when GPS in hacked open on it... right now there's just some very important information that's still being closely guarded. Also, there's a lot of very formidable people out there that are more then capable of cracking this sucker... unfortunatly there's no immediate drive for them to do so as it's not a mainstream device in their leagues/daily lives, so they have no drive to help others by helping themselves.
    03-28-08 04:25 PM
    Get a puck or change carriers that don't lock your GPS, if it is that important to you and get on with your life!!!! Simple...
    03-28-08 06:23 PM
    I agree with grncherryl. You have the right to change carriers. So get on with it. I know it's the principle of you not getting what you pay for. So, move on.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-28-08 06:42 PM
    Agreed grncherryl, I can't switch carries so I got a puck and it works. Simple as that.
    03-29-08 06:44 AM
    I see a lot of threads regarding GPS and it seems many people are confused about it. I am a heavy GPS user but am new to the Blackberry phones.

Real GPS is a satellite based system using GPS hardware to obtain coordinates on a map. Accuracy for most consumer devices is to within about 12 ft. or so. In order to use these devices you MUST have a view of the sky. Satellite GPS will not work indoors although it will work through difficult weather.

GPS on the phone is different although, in some instances, you can purchase add on hardware to mimic real GPS hardware.

The 8830 does not have built in GPS hardware and will never work as a real GPS system.

The GPS system for the phone works by extrapolating data from the provider's wireless towers and estimating your location. It has nothing to do with global positioning satellites. The phone GPS will work indoors since a view of the sky is not necessary. My google map GPS software says that it is accurate within 1500 meters and I don't know that I would trust it for anything more than to tell me what city I am in and which direction to another city.

So, in order to clear the confusion I see on these boards, please be aware that the GPS many complain about is really not worth the effort.

If you want real GPS you can go to BestBuy and pick one up for about $150. The etrex is a great little machine.
    03-29-08 08:25 AM
    The 8830 does not have built in GPS hardware and will never work as a real GPS system.
    False.

The 8830, and every other cell phone, has a fully functional GPS receiver - they have to in order to comply with FCC regulations for E911 compliance. They are capable of receiving the GPS signal and determining your location in the form of Latitude & Longitude coordinates, to the same level of accuracy of the typical consumer GPSr. What phones don't do, is take that location information and display it like personal navigation systems do without additional software - and the limitations are due to the software, not the GPS receiver in the phone.

If you want real GPS you can go to BestBuy and pick one up for about $150. The etrex is a great little machine.
    I'm more partial to my Garmin Nuvi 660 & 750.
    03-29-08 08:59 AM
    I see a lot of threads regarding GPS and it seems many people are confused about it. I am a heavy GPS user but am new to the Blackberry phones.

Real GPS is a satellite based system using GPS hardware to obtain coordinates on a map. Accuracy for most consumer devices is to within about 12 ft. or so. In order to use these devices you MUST have a view of the sky. Satellite GPS will not work indoors although it will work through difficult weather.

GPS on the phone is different although, in some instances, you can purchase add on hardware to mimic real GPS hardware.

The GPS system for the phone works by extrapolating data from the provider's wireless towers and estimating your location. It has nothing to do with global positioning satellites. The phone GPS will work indoors since a view of the sky is not necessary. My google map GPS software says that it is accurate within 1500 meters and I don't know that I would trust it for anything more than to tell me what city I am in and which direction to another city.

So, in order to clear the confusion I see on these boards, please be aware that the GPS many complain about is really not worth the effort.

Seems you're not too far from confused yourself. AT&T Curves with autonomous GPS in them most certainly work INDOORS! I've used them and I was inside when I did it. Location data was accurate to within 3 meters. Google Maps My Location Beta is cell tower attachment location only with distance calculation so your location is way off, even more so with CDMA then GSM because of the way cell tower attachment works on that network topology. The Qualcomm MSM7500 Processor Chipset system has autonomous GPS built in. Support for the hardware is unfortunatly under firmware/software control for ALL phones that use this chipset. Like I said before, the XV6800 has this same chipset in it and with a cooked Sprint ROM I can run autonomous GPS on it all day long buddy, so don't come in here telling me what you "think" is correct, because you're the only one confused here.
    03-29-08 10:26 AM
    Sammythebarber, your information is incorrect. I have a Sprint 8830 and it is indeed a true GPS device and it is as accurate, as kch50428 stated, as any other consumer GPS device. I have a Nuvi760 and have compared the two. Your information is wrong on this one.
    03-29-08 01:41 PM
    In fact, using Google maps, in my livingroom, I get accuracy to within 10 feet on my 8830...same as on my Nuvis.
    03-29-08 08:46 PM
    One small correction guys. The GPS that you are "currently" using on the 8830 from Sprint is in fact aGPS (Assisted). If you don't believe me then pull out the PDE IP and PORT address from your gpsOne config screen on the phone's Qualcomm chipset configuration and see if it still works after that. It won't. While the chipset may be capable of autonomous GPS, unfortunatly that is not the currently enabled form of GPS on the unit. Sorry, but that's the truth. However, that doesn't mean its any less acurate. In some cases and on paper aGPS is sometimes better then GPS, but I really don't want to get into that.

Oh yeah, one last thing... if you don't know what I'm talking about in the third sentance of the above paragraph, then you don't know what you're talking about. Sorry, but that's the truth.
    03-29-08 08:59 PM
    I just know that it works as advertised. I couldn't care less how or why it works. As stated before I own a GPS device so the phone is never used for that purpose. It is a novelty as far as I'm concerned. I will take your word, JRSCCivic98, as to what makes it function.
    03-29-08 09:13 PM
    I'm new to BB but I found out right off that Google Maps is all you need. Turn on the GPS and google maps finds ur location and gives u directions. So I don't know what all the fuss is about.

03-29-08 10:42 PM
    No fuss, just a friendly discussion. Welcome to the madness.
    03-29-08 11:20 PM
    I just bought a GPS puck. I'm happy . I just leave it in my pocket and it works great!
    03-30-08 01:11 AM
    I'm new to BB but I found out right off that Google Maps is all you need. Turn on the GPS and google maps finds ur location and gives u directions. So I don't know what all the fuss is about.

Humor us and tell us what you did.

Is Google Maps giving your location as a small blue dot or as a dot with a larger blue circle around it? I think what you're seeing is My Location Beta.
    03-30-08 01:26 AM

I would agree with you but for me (and some others) Googlemaps does NOT keep tracking and refreshing with my GPS puck without my having BBMaps already running in the background. I'm working to solve that problem but still no success (I've got the 8830 with Verizon too...)
    03-30-08 08:12 AM
    I have this on good authority...Lets just say this person has intamate design knowledge of the BB....

Verizon specialy asked BB to include only a functional AGPS chipset in the BB 8830 WE (I know it must work for 911 so im sure it does when u need it)

what is AGPS versus GPS...

GPS works off the GSM modulations scheme which is synchronized in time to teh GPS sattelites....this synchronization allows the phone to place calls (ON A GSM NW) as well as connect to sattelites....it can connect on its own and not use the carriers tower...

AGPS
    AGPS uses the carriers tower to establish a time synchronization neccesary to connect to the satteleits....without this sychronization step there is no connecting to satteleties....and it does use the carriers NW. This is why verizon can theoreticaly cripple it legaly.

So i guess I answered my own question...there is no way around verizions scheme...and theoreticaly there is no point in suing. It does require use of their NW which they have controll of...then again they asked BB to cripple it so maybe BB is thone one to blame....

Sue Them Both...

Sucks
    04-05-08 10:24 PM
    So what does a standalong GPS unit "time synchronize" to? Better yet, what does a bluetooth puck "time synchronize" to to get it's sat lock?

BTW, you're dead wrong on your findings because there's fully functional GPS on an XV6800 Verizon phone with cooked Sprint ROM. That phone has the same chipset in it that the 8830 does. While the OS and functionality is different the core chipset and design capabilities are the same.

Next...
    04-05-08 10:48 PM
    JRSCCivic98: The OP starts Post 1 by quoting RIM as saying that the "Start GPS" option is deliberately not present in the Verizon 8830 WE. In Post 4, you point out that he can replace that version of BB Maps with one from another vendor that does have "Start GPS" capability. My point is, my Verizon 8830 BBMaps has "Start GPS." I didn't realize some didn't. I'm running OS 4.2.2.176, which as of Saturday was the latest version for Verizon. I did Saturday perform John Clark's memory optimization. The OS I loaded on my PC is 4.2.2.176, same as was on my blackberry. So I don't think that changed my BBMaps. Why would one Verizon 8830WE have "Start GPS" and another not?
    04-05-08 11:30 PM
    Whew....sounds as if Verizon really has such a grip that one has to give up their first born to switch to a carrier that features a functional GPS. I don't think any company will have that much control over my life.
    04-06-08 12:54 AM
    Verizon has already told everyone that you can get the GPS functionality if you "PAY THEM THEIR MONTHLY FEE"
    04-06-08 12:58 AM
    At this point, I have to admit, I don't know what kind of GPS is inside my Verizon 8830. I also don't know if it would work with 3rd party applications even if I paid them $10/month so it worked with THEIR application.

I have a separate puck and it works. I don't know if the puck "syncs" with anything. It is a gps and it gets its communications directly from OUTER SPACE! This one (Freedom 2000) picks up satellites inside my home in pretty fast time. It does not have any desktop software module - it merely uses Bluetooth to talk with the BB, presumeably sending whatever gps info that the 3rd party apps I use need.

Some apps seem to be more receptive to the communications and keep in constant "touch" with the puck. Others seem to need refreshing.

Here's a 4 hour cross-country ski trip that did not miss a blip:

Amab2 | Author Ff2 | Mobile GPS Tracking Service

Actually, almost 6 hours.
    04-06-08 10:36 AM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD