Lets have a gathering of the minds People....

In my opinion... It is evident that blackberry as well as Verizon understand that the GPS device has been crippled. This can be seen from the hundreds of posts and replys from verizon as well as from the blackberry technical solution center...Blackberry Technical solutions has this to say regarding the GPS functionality

"The Start GPS option in BlackBerry� Maps, which allows BlackBerry smartphone users to track their movements using a Global Positioning System (GPS), is not available on the BlackBerry 8830 World Edition smartphone from Verizon Wireless. This is by design."

In other words:
    Blackberry is apparently ok with the phone being crippled as well....yet on their site they say that the blackberry 8830 WE comes with a functioning GPS which paired with their maps program can give directions and such...

My Request
    ------------
    ALL PEOPLE WHO KNOW ANY HOT KEY COMMANDS...for example typing ##000000 send will enable the "CDMA Service Edit Screen" please post them here...There must be a way that verizon tests these phones and the GPS chip which is built inside of them. If we can learn how they test them...I am sure we can learn to unlcok them.

Please explain what you know about any screen that is brough up...for example the "CDMA Service Edit Screen" has an abundant amount of options...if someone can explain them please let me know.

BRAINSTORM PEOPLE
    03-26-08 01:56 PM
    its all in the service books
    03-26-08 03:19 PM
    I would tent to agree - it is in the service books allowing access (or not) to GPS. I don't think you will be able to circumvent the GPS crippling without Verizon opening up access.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-26-08 05:58 PM
    its all in the service books
    No it's not.

You can fix not having "Start GPS" in Blackberry Maps by simply deleting the version that's installed on the 8830 and then load up a version from RIM's website. However, even with this the GPS won't work. The two things are NOT related. There's only one cod file missing from the lbs (Blackberry Maps) program that makes it have the "Start GPS" function on the menu in the app. GPS is locked in a couple of other ways. PDE IP assignment is one and slight firmware manipulation is the other. aGPS would work if we knew the PDE IP for Verizon... most likely.
    03-26-08 07:21 PM
    I am going to play dumb....

What are the service books?

Also, Is there any way to change the firmware....similar to moding an xbox where you change the firmware of the CD drive such that it can read burnt discs? I would imagine that getting your hands on say a non crippled version of firmware would work. I would also Imagine the entire phone BB OS would have to be re-installed...

1. Wipe blackberry clean....start from the ground up
    2. Update firmware with 3rd party software
    3. Reinstall the OS
    4. Acitive GPS

Does this sound feasable
    03-27-08 07:15 AM
    No it's not.

You can fix not having "Start GPS" in Blackberry Maps by simply deleting the version that's installed on the 8830 and then load up a version from RIM's website. However, even with this the GPS won't work. The two things are NOT related. There's only one cod file missing from the lbs (Blackberry Maps) program that makes it have the "Start GPS" function on the menu in the app. GPS is locked in a couple of other ways. PDE IP assignment is one and slight firmware manipulation is the other. aGPS would work if we knew the PDE IP for Verizon... most likely.
    I would have to agree. I don't believe it has anything to do with service books. We just need to know the PDE address VZNav uses.
    03-27-08 07:16 AM
    I would not agree, who has ever heard of a stand alone GPS unit needing an IP address to function? for aGPS yes you would need the verizon IP but for a true stand alone GPS, that is all firmware or hardware. Just my 2 cents
    03-27-08 10:34 AM
    I just want to throw out that I hope someone hacks the heck out of this GPS issue. I have talked to RIM and althought it may not be anything to take for granted, but they say it is service books.

Hack the Planet!
    03-27-08 12:12 PM
    I would not agree, who has ever heard of a stand alone GPS unit needing an IP address to function? for aGPS yes you would need the verizon IP but for a true stand alone GPS, that is all firmware or hardware. Just my 2 cents
    Our devices don't use standalone. Even the carriers who have GPS working don't work if you delete the PDE adress info.
    03-27-08 01:30 PM
    Our devices don't use standalone. Even the carriers who have GPS working don't work if you delete the PDE adress info.
    Unfortunately I do believe this is the way it is. They are not a stand alone gps. They can not get X & Y coordinates without the data. It ticks me off, but we are at their mercy.
    03-27-08 03:34 PM
    If that is the case (aGPS) then it is just more of a reason to buy a GPS puck. Also what do you do when you are overseas and do not have a data connection, I have heard that arguement time and time again as to why the gps should be unlocked. Take that one off the list of valid arguements.
    03-27-08 04:13 PM
    Also what do you do when you are overseas and do not have a data connection, I have heard that arguement time and time again as to why the gps should be unlocked. Take that one off the list of valid arguements.
    Yet another reason that was added to the list by people who don't actually comprehend what type of GPS these phones have in them. The GSM version of these phones have full GPS chipsets.

Now, here's the kicker. The 8830 uses the same Qualcomm chipset that the Windows Mobile XV6800 phones use. That perticular phone just like it's Sprint counterpart can use standalone GPS without PDE associations. So, technically speaking, the chipset in the 8830 may be able to do standalone GPS, but I'm willing to bet NO ONE and I mean NO ONE, except for maybe the engineers who work on an intimate level with these devices at RIM, don't know if the phone actually has these features enabled, the proper GPS antenna (yep, gota have one of those for standalone GPS), and OS drivers to interface with it. Right now, there's very little that we know about these devices. You see, the real geeks hack on WM phones, not Blackberries. WM is very customizable and actually rocks if you know what you're doing. Blackberry on the other hand has very little support for apps and customizations as it sits at the moment. Hopefully this will change, but it'll take some time.
    03-27-08 08:10 PM
    From a 3rd Party Aps Developer view, we think this is the pits as well. VZN isn't the only carrier that has the GPS data feed locked. YES the data is in the device, yes the chips can get the GPS signals. Nothing is in there that isn't fully functional.

BB probably would prefer that VZN users have access to this feature as it shows the full capabilities of the device they designed and build.

VZN considers their niche as the business user - until that user segment starts to vote with their purchase orders, nothing will change.
    03-27-08 08:37 PM
    Unfortunately I do believe this is the way it is. They are not a stand alone gps. They can not get X & Y coordinates without the data. It ticks me off, but we are at their mercy.
    The GPS in all cell phones are 'stand alone' - or autonomous. They have to be - it's an FCC requirement for E-911.
    03-27-08 09:10 PM
    The GPS in all cell phones are 'stand alone' - or autonomous. They have to be - it's an FCC requirement for E-911.
    Okay so maybe they are. Either way, if our provider doesn't allow access to the use of it, it is still no good to us. I'd kind of like to see that in the FCC requirements, not that I disagree, just to read it.
    Last edited by cchapman; 03-27-08 at 10:08 PM.
    03-27-08 10:04 PM
    Just stumbled onto this thread and find it very interesting. As you can see I am a Sprint user and have been for 6+ years. I'm just a regular Crackberry User like everyone else.
    Just to mention the GPS and Google maps are great. I select satellite view and I can see my house and the car that was parked on the street in front. That said, I just don't understand why you would stay with a Co. that doesn't provide a service you want.
    I travel the country and Sprint has never disappointed me. And I'm sure other Cos. are the same. I would find another that provides service and the features that I need and forget the other one. That is why I left and the world became a better place as far as I was concerned.
    03-27-08 11:17 PM
    Hey guys, I agree with the last post. I have had Sprint for years now and have had great coverage and service the entire time. I love the GPS my 8830 has and use it all the time. For example...say you are driving in an unfamiliar neighborhood, and get a craving for ice cream...all you gotta do is type in "ice cream" and next thing you know you got a map showing all the ice cream shops around you within a couple miles.

Screw Verizon and their disabling of GPS. I would leave 'em in a heartbeat and go to a company that gives me what I need.
    03-28-08 12:14 AM
    Hmm, after reading from the golfer-guy (sorry, don't recall name) - I wonder if Verizon is engaging in anti-competitive (monopolistic) practices by locking out competitors' software solutions using gps. How much different is it than MS forcing IE down everyone's throats?
    03-28-08 12:43 AM
    You can't fault RIM. They make all the BlackBerrys the same way, it is up to the providers to program them to operate with the features they want to provide you with. That is why you get the response you get from the manufacturer. They have no control of that part of the puzzle. Nor, I suspect, do they want too.
    03-28-08 12:49 AM
    Hey guys, I agree with the last post. I have had Sprint for years now and have had great coverage and service the entire time. I love the GPS my 8830 has and use it all the time. For example...say you are driving in an unfamiliar neighborhood, and get a craving for ice cream...all you gotta do is type in "ice cream" and next thing you know you got a map showing all the ice cream shops around you within a couple miles.

Screw Verizon and their disabling of GPS. I would leave 'em in a heartbeat and go to a company that gives me what I need.
    What if Sprint had no coverage at your workplace? As well as no coverage from AT&T? Then what would you do?

I'm effectively screwed. I get to choose between GPS and a non-working phone when I'm at work, or no GPS and a working phone.

If you guys are on about Verizon and GPS crippling, make sure you see the thread that I have plugged in my signature.
    03-28-08 09:07 AM
    Hmm, after reading from the golfer-guy (sorry, don't recall name) - I wonder if Verizon is engaging in anti-competitive (monopolistic) practices by locking out competitors' software solutions using gps. How much different is it than MS forcing IE down everyone's throats?
    There is a class action lawsuit forming over this. Contact The Cohen Lawfirm:
    [email protected]
    03-28-08 09:09 AM
    Just stumbled onto this thread and find it very interesting. As you can see I am a Sprint user and have been for 6+ years. I'm just a regular Crackberry User like everyone else.
    Just to mention the GPS and Google maps are great. I select satellite view and I can see my house and the car that was parked on the street in front. That said, I just don't understand why you would stay with a Co. that doesn't provide a service you want.
    I travel the country and Sprint has never disappointed me. And I'm sure other Cos. are the same. I would find another that provides service and the features that I need and forget the other one. That is why I left and the world became a better place as far as I was concerned.
    Sprint has their own faults. For instance, no MMS support. Plus, their coverage blows for me. I've hard nightmares about customer service, etc. Honestly, if VZW just stopped crippling devices and nickle and diming us all to death, they would be the Number One carrier in the country. I think they need to change their slogan from "It's the network" to "It's the network... cuz it ain't anything else we do for you."
    03-28-08 09:38 AM
    I understand that no one carrier is perfect but Sprint has gotten the job done for me. As far as the "nightmare" stories,well, we only hear from the few who have had a bad experience. Personally, I have had no nightmares in my years with them.
    03-28-08 10:35 AM
    So if Sprint phones have the correct firmware...and the FCC requires they stand alone and use GPS NOT aGPS, what is stopping verizon users from reflashing their firmware....I mean it was possible with the xbox so you could play burnt games...why not do it here...

Also...Verizon/sprint obviously flashes the firmware themselves (WITHOUT OPENING THE CASE THROUGH USB bc I am sure RIM is not installing the cripling software....soooo all you techs that work for sprint/verizon lets get on this and re-flash us some working GPS!

So after re-flashing the firmware on the device.... I would imagine you can then call *228 and/or some 1-800 number to set your phone up for verizons CDMA flavor. The CDMA screen settings can be found as I said:

##000000 send

Input please :-)
    03-28-08 10:54 AM
    I think the key is during the provisioning or registration phase, therefore, you can re-flash til the cows come home and it will do you no good.
    03-28-08 11:18 AM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD