OP I know you are trying to put forward your own viewpoint, which is okay with me.
    To answer one of your questions, what is it that is liked by crackberrians about this device and they are supporting it for the sake of making BlackBerry successful ...well to start off with, when I first saw the prototype photos of Passport, I admit I didn't like it and panned it and called it ugly, even though I knew it was going to be launched whether we love it or not, I still panned it. But Once I saw JC holding it and initial finished product snaps, I started having a change of heart. Yes, I want BlackBerry to succeed just like you, but just like you, I wouldn't try and defend something about BlackBerry which is not dependable in my opinion.
    However, if you notice from my other posts, I'm a touch guy, but I would definitely try this device for the sheer fact that it is a unique device, it doesn't follow the 'standard ', it makes its own standard and might make people realise that there is something unique about this device, from the device that they are holding.
    Also please note, that the 'standard ' you are referring to, was not the standard before it became the standard.
    Also, I agree that this device might not sell well, but then again it might and I would give points to BlackBerry for the mere fact that in years for the first time they have tried to be innovative and tried something out of the ordinary.
    In short, you are entitled to your opinion, but I think collectively dismissing the views of fans of this device as merely wishes of people wanting BlackBerry success, might not be a good idea.

CAUTION : MAJ On Z30 Now!!!!
    Fair enough. Good point. Let's see how it is sells and maybe yes it will be a "breakthrough" device. I'm still skeptical. I'm due for an upgrade in january 2015. At that point hopefully verizon will have the passport, the classic, and the iphone 6. I will try all three. Then make a final decision...

Posted via CB10
    m1kr0, LuisCast and JJStripes like this.
    06-28-14 03:28 AM
    Also please note, that the 'standard ' you are referring to, was not the standard before it became the standard.
    But, when the iPhone was released it was pretty much critically acclaimed for its aesthetics. Even now the iPhone is widely considered the best looking smartphone in the industry.

If there's one major edge that Apple has got on its competitors is industrial design. You just can't teach that at an university and you certainly won't find it at Samsung.
    06-28-14 03:30 AM
    Fair enough. Good point. Let's see how it is sells and maybe yes it will be a "breakthrough" device. I'm still skeptical. I'm due for an upgrade in january 2015. At that point hopefully verizon will have the passport, the classic, and the iphone 6. I will try all three. Then make a final decision...

Posted via CB10
    Very right, you should definitely try all three and select the one that is best for you. Nothing wrong with it

06-28-14 03:35 AM
    But, when the iPhone was released it was pretty much critically acclaimed for its aesthetics. Even now the iPhone is widely considered the best looking smartphone in the industry.

If there's one major edge that Apple has got on its competitors is industrial design. You just can't teach that at an university and you certainly won't find it at Samsung.
    Thank you. That's my feeling also. People want it all right now. Good looks and a great performance.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-14 03:39 AM
    But why not make a sexier version of the Q10 or a totally retro Bold with the curved keyboard. Instead we get a square block.

Posted via CB10
    Those old phones are universally perceived as silly and people laugh at them when they see them. They shouldn't make phones that have a look that inspires derision.

Also, pointy corners are fashionable.
    06-28-14 03:49 AM
    Frankenphone! I think the thing is hideously ugly and do not think it will sell at all outside of the BlackBerry faithful and a relative few in some niche markets. Imo it's basically going to be a complete failure outside of BlackBerry enthusiasts. But hey..i hope I'm wrong because if this thing and the Classic don't do well then BlackBerry might be forced out of the handset business all together. Then we won't see any new all touch.

Z10
    LuisCast, JeepBB and lift like this.
    06-28-14 03:52 AM
    Those old phones are universally perceived as silly and people laugh at them when they see them. They shouldn't make phones that have a look that inspires derision.

Also, pointy corners are fashionable.
    So...be different for the sake of being "different"? let's see how that pans out...haha. anyway if BlackBerry's goal was to provoke heated debate it's working! I can't think of a recent device that could potentially cause more discussion...

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    06-28-14 03:53 AM
    Frankenphone! I think the thing is hideously ugly and do not think it will sell at all outside of the BlackBerry faithful and a relative few in some niche markets. It's going to be a complete failure imo. But hey..i hope I'm wrong because if this thing and the Classic don't do well then BlackBerry might be forced out of the handset business all together. Then we won't see any new all touch.

Z10
    Amen!

Posted via CB10
    06-28-14 03:55 AM

Yes, you are right, but that doesn't mean that the only path of being successful is that one or this one, the world has been full of surprises, that's all I'm saying. At the end of the day, IPhone has been successful, no questions about that, it's a good looking device with a great ecosystem, but does the whole world buys only that? No. Samsung emerged with their not so cool design, they are the market leaders and design has not been their forte, all I'm trying to say, let's give it a chance and give credit to BlackBerry for AT LEAST trying something new.
    Who knows, this might be the new kid on the block, or it also might turn out to be the biggest disaster design that BlackBerry came up with.
    You don't like the design, fair enough, just like DROID users would not like I Phone, BlackBerry users would not like windows and vice versa, but that would not stop them from churning out their new devices.
    Passport might not be the game changer, but then again, it might be as well.
    Who Knows....

wincyUt and spikesolie like this.
    06-28-14 04:07 AM
    A lot of people are mentioning Samsung being successful at selling ugly plastic phones. Samsung is heavily loathed in this site. The fact that some are referring to them I interpret as "If Samsung can sell ugly phones, why not BlackBerry with the Passport?"
    red_devil_fan_1999 likes this.
    06-28-14 04:44 AM
    A lot of people are mentioning Samsung being successful at selling ugly plastic phones. Samsung is heavily loathed in this site. The fact that some are referring to them I interpret as "If Samsung can sell ugly phones, why not BlackBerry with the Passport?"
    I don't think it's ugly, it's just that it's not as good as some of the other devices, but still it managed to sell well, calling it or feeling that it is ugly is something that I don't agree with.
    But is one of the best designed device, certainly not...

06-28-14 04:54 AM
    @Matador,

You have a right to your opinion just as much as anyone else o. These boards or elsewhere.

My opinion is that yes the concepts done in water artistic application chosen by the artists that conceived them is simply that = art. There is no constraints of hardware, engineering or quite simply costs fo supply and production or shipping involved. They're feelers to test the fans r�ception (I'm stoned so forgive the spelling). But the art doesn't evr cone out exactly as initially rendered in the real world where:

Forms may still be restricted either by chosen materials, costs in production to not realistically sell the product with enough of a margin to stay in business. Not to mention the finish of the chosen materials, and so forth.

Give the product it's fair chance

? BlackBerry Z30 ? If it Don't Make Dollars, It don't Make Sense ?
    app_Developer and ghundiraj like this.
    06-28-14 04:59 AM
    the problem is: we still think we decide what we like and what not. but there's that feeling inside that tells us differently; how everything we do is controlled by a sense of prestige, vanity and the urge to find new ways of consumption, and to fill that void it creates inside of us. anything sensible we could hope to offer to ourselves and our mates will not be heard or seen; and if we should stumble upon it by accident, we get this dumb feeling that somewhere on the internet something good has been said and nobody cared. and even if someone did care, we know that even the best ideas in technology have long been assimilated and corrupted by mass-consumption industries. we are not free; we are all sheep and we know it.

[edit] : my point is: I don't care what people want me to think is "sexy" or "stylish" or what not. I use a BlackBerry because I think it's the only smartphone that makes some sort of sense in communication. it tries to improve on it and not (completely) lure us away with outward fancy new ways of consumption.
    BeautyEh and MAJ009 like this.
    06-28-14 05:31 AM
    let's just wait what the device has to offer. Some of the specs are not yet out. I think the designers at blackberry are aint stupid to come up with a device that does not support very specific and significant functions. Who knows this might be revolutionary! Aren't we not told to think out of the box! Why do phones have to be rectangular anyway? And why can't there a design like the passport? Blackberry Passport, why not?
    wincyUt and MAJ009 like this.
    06-28-14 05:49 AM
    I'm sorry but after all this hooplah over the passport I have to ask. Why on earth do people think this is a good looking/sexy device!? I am not talking about OS, specs, or even price. Just strictly design and the proportions. The rectangle shape is now the standard for smartphones across the board. Even in the car industry there is standardization. For example with sport sedans, there is a universal proportion and 50/50 weight distribution (audi bmw MB etc..). I understand the concept of "form follows function". But what REVOLUTIONARY function could prompt BlackBerry to make such a grotesque device!? It will NOT sell well. Trust me. I have supported BlackBerry on/off for almost a decade but this is just ridiculous. The fan made concepts in the forums are 1000 times sexier than this passport. I know the BlackBerry faithful (i.e.- crackberry users) will buy this but trust me it will not do well outside of that. Am I missing something here? Somebody please back me up? My Q10 looks better with each new post about the passport. Haha.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, there is standardization and equalization everywhere.
    Therefore, sometimes, something that is strictly against all rules and standards, may appeal to many people, just because of that.
    I think that BB has chosen an interesting and brave approach, to try to swim against the current.
    This is very unusual in today's world. I keep my fingers crossed for them to succeed.
    THBW, Vorkosigan and MAJ009 like this.
    06-28-14 06:05 AM
    Kevin M. From crackberry once said the BlackBerry 9900 bold was one of the best looking devices. And now he is for the passport even after he thought it looked "ugly". I don't know. It's just seems the BlackBerry fans are "convincing" themselves this a good looking devices. It all seems forced.

Posted via CB10
    All the comments on the device being ugly and appalling were from earlier on, when only strange colourful plastic-cases or empty frames or greasy backsides of prototype units leaked.
    As soon as the first real pictures went live (i.e. after JC's "presentation" at the stockholder's meeting last week), public opinion changed dramatically. An estimated 8 out of 10 people now think the Passport is an extremely sexy and interesting looking device.

I went through exactly the same "development path", and calling this change of mind to be based upon fanboyish sugarcoating only is not right and not fair.
    JJStripes, MAJ009 and THBW like this.
    06-28-14 06:12 AM
    What are you trying to prove?

Posted via CB10 on 10.2.1.3139
    You sound upset that someone voiced an opinion.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    LuisCast, JeepBB, lift and 6 others like this.
    06-28-14 06:24 AM
    I had an Ericsson flip phone in high school. 1994. People thought it was a "drug dealer" phone. And even then the phone was twice as long as it was wide. Hell even rotary phone had the handpiece in that proportion. Square doesn't make sense. BlackBerry should have just made a phablet if they wanted more screen real estate. This passport device is "transitional" at best. Something to beta test their new physical "touch" keyboard. If that's the case then fine...but man wait till the media starts opining haha. I give up. To each his/her own I guess.....

Posted via CB10
    I don't think even BlackBerry (Chen & Co.) has hailed the Passport as "revolutionary" but to suggest that, "Square doesn't make sense" makes at least as much sense as holding a phablet to your head.

Posted via CB10
    currentodysseys likes this.
    06-28-14 06:27 AM
    You may be right. I mean I'm open to all possibilities. But doesn't this make "one handed" use really difficult!?

Posted via CB10
    You are exactly right. None of us who haven't had the luxury of using it knows the answer to your question.

Everyone is speculating at this point.

I can speculated that the intention of this device is not for one handed use. Just like it is very difficult to drive a car from the passenger seat, unlike a motorcycle which is very easy to drive from the passenger seat, since there is only one seat

The classic will take care of the one handed use, this passport is for a different function. And maybe people will learn to adapt to 2 handed cell phone use.
    I mean afterall, we all type with our thumbs now, hardly what I was taught in grade 10 typing.

I for one am really excited by this new form factor and the odder it seems, the higher the potential for success, and failure.

But if something is truly innovative, like the Passports design is looking like it will be, that is the risk associated with it.

I think we all hope it will be a huge success, but our questions are stemming from nervousness of failure

Posted via CB10
    06-28-14 06:40 AM
    You sound upset that someone voiced an opinion.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    More like "someone voiced an opinion that everyone who likes the device is biased because the device is made by BlackBerry, even though the device is objectively ugly"

That was pretty much the first few posts. Opinion is nice and all, but the guy's opinion is attacking others' opinion

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3175
    06-28-14 06:50 AM
    More like "someone voiced an opinion that everyone who likes the device is biased because the device is made by BlackBerry, even though the device is objectively ugly"

That was pretty much the first few posts. Opinion is nice and all, but the guy's opinion is attacking others' opinion

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3175
    And there's no truth in that opinion? I believe many people on here are doing just that. That's OK with me, I understand how they want blackberry to succeed. It's still an opinion which should be allowed.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    JeepBB and mikeo007 like this.
    06-28-14 07:00 AM
    Kevin M. From crackberry once said the BlackBerry 9900 bold was one of the best looking devices. And now he is for the passport even after he thought it looked "ugly". I don't know. It's just seems the BlackBerry fans are "convincing" themselves this a good looking devices. It all seems forced.

Posted via CB10
    Well the real thing looks a lot nicer than all the leaked stuff leading up to seeing it. It's not my ideal personal device. Yet if I think more like it's target market the enterprise user, I can see where it has appeal.
    06-28-14 07:07 AM
    And there's no truth in that opinion? I believe many people on here are doing just that. That's OK with me, I understand how they want blackberry to succeed. It's still an opinion which should be allowed.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    His opinion about people's opinions has been allowed. So should people's opinions about his opinion about other people's opinions. so should his opinion about people's opinions about his opinion about other people's opinions. Etc
    06-28-14 07:07 AM
    His opinion about people's opinions has been allowed. So should people's opinions about his opinion about other people's opinions. so should his opinion about people's opinions about his opinion about other people's opinions. Etc
    Lmao! That's so funny but true

Posted via CB10
    06-28-14 07:20 AM
    Not yet. Here is a better written opinion piece. Also make sure to check the comments below: http://n4bb.com/hope-im-wrong-blackb...sport/?paged=2

Posted via CB10
    Thank you for pointing out the comments section, wherein a couple of butthurt exCBers who got banned essentially get told to stop behaving like trolls on a site where they congregated to trash talk CB and posters here and thought they could turn it into their own personal playground. That was the funniest thing I've read all week. Sincerely, thank you because that was incredibly entertaining!
    Last edited by reeneebob; 06-28-14 at 09:13 AM.
    06-28-14 07:24 AM
688 1234 ...