So I always put my phone in standby mode and quite a few times my little nephew was been playing with the phone and has dialed 911. I always wondered. Well, the other day, I caught him playing with it and I took it from his hands; while in standby mode, I saw something at the top of the screen... with a red background and white lettering while in standby mode at the top of the screen, it said "ATTEMPT EMERGENCY CALL." Getting the option for unlock, emergency call, and cancel were not a part of this because the phone was unlocked, just in standby mode. Anyone know how this happens?
    08-16-11 01:40 AM
    Well, even with the phone locked you can dial the emergency number. This is not something that happens only on a Blackberry but it does on a Nokia and an LG too.
    08-16-11 01:45 AM
    most, if not all cellphones on the market, allow for emergency calls to 911 or 112 or whatever other local emergency the network sets regardless if the phone is locked, unlocked, active/inactive, SIM/no SIM. this is for obvious safety reasons. some phones will default to an emergency call if only the "9" or "9-1" keys are depressed.

do us a HUGE favor in the LE world, STOP letting your kids play with your cellphones. they are not toys. there are thousands of misdialed 911 calls each day from cellphones.....most are **** dials, but alot of them are kids playing with parents phones. its a HUGE waste of resources.
    BravoZuluDelta likes this.
    08-16-11 04:42 AM
    Do all the 911 dispatchers a favor and buy the kid a Bic lighter.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-16-11 08:48 AM
  5. T
    I know. Totally ridiculous. Bad enought it happened once. It happened "quite a few times.". Hopefully the kid breaks the phone while "playing" with it and wasting emergency department resources.

08-16-11 09:33 AM
  6. T
    Do all the 911 dispatchers a favor and buy the kid a Bic lighter.

Good one, lol! Or a handgun ...

08-16-11 09:34 AM
    I just couldn't resist, the smartass in me often prevails! Haha

08-17-11 07:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD