A friend of mine has a Curve and it has dialed an emergency call while in standby mode (while in her purse). Any idea how this happens? Neither of us can figure it out.

My BB has a BES policy requiring a password, so I'm unable to simulate what she's experiencing.
    09-22-12 07:05 AM
    I had the same issue.

The touchpad scroller button thing... someone will come up with a better name... but when the phone is locked a slight movement will give 3 options.

One is to Unlock.
    One is call 000 (international standard for emergencies).
    One is to cancel I think... not sure.

Anyway if the phone was in her bag and rubbed against something, the option for emergency call selected... and a gentle knock to depress the button... then your making that emergency call.

She needs a case/holster for it.
    09-22-12 07:16 AM
    I had the same issue.

The touchpad scroller button thing... someone will come up with a better name... but when the phone is locked a slight movement will give 3 options.

One is to Unlock.
    One is call 000 (international standard for emergencies).
    One is to cancel I think... not sure.

Anyway if the phone was in her bag and rubbed against something, the option for emergency call selected... and a gentle knock to depress the button... then your making that emergency call.

She needs a case/holster for it.
    Hi Fmar,

I think you may be getting confused between password lock and standby. What you are describing is how the BB operates when password locked. My friend does not have a password set. She just puts her phone in standby mode and doesn't get these options. Thanks for replying.

Cheers,
    09-22-12 07:35 AM
    OK, I think I figured it out. It turns out I can simulate what is happening even though I have a password.

I found that if the BB is in standby mode, pressing the keys '9-1-1' will bring up a red bar along the top prompting you to confirm an emergency call. If you press the CALL button, it will initiate an emergency call.

So I'm guessing that in my friend's purse, the button sequence '9-1-1-CALL' happen to be pressed in that exact order.

She does have a case around the device, but perhaps a holster is in order.
    09-22-12 07:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD