Hi;

I was lucky enough to receive a Playbook for Christmas and based on the time I've spent with it since yesterday the Playbook appears to be everything good that they have been reported to be. I presume that because my Playbook is new I was able to upgrade to version 1314 without any problem.

This forum is an excellent resource and as an fyi, I did try searching for the answer to my question but didn't have any success in finding a response. If I've missed something obvious please let me know. Meanwhile I would appreciate any assistance that might be available for the below sync questions.

I've setup an email account and have a question on the sync process. The actual email setup was quick and easy but the issue is that it wants to sync and download to the Playbook the 2894 emails that I have stored on the server. Is there anyway to stop this large a sync or to perhaps adjust the number of emails that are/can be downloaded? Conversely if I continue with the download and then delete 2885 of the emails will the sync feature want to download the original 2894 or so emails again? Is there a means to delete multiple emails from the Playbook?

Thanks
    12-26-12 10:06 AM
    Hey there and congrats on your new PlayBook. I hope you'll love it. I don't know the answer to your syncing question as I'm fairly new as well and when I set up my account, it didn't sync every email in my account.... just the new ones that come in. As for the deleting multiple emails at a time, while in your message centre, swipe down from the top bezel, select "select", and it will allow you to select multiple messages and delete.

Enjoy and I hope someone here will be able to answer your other question.
    Play_time likes this.
    12-26-12 10:19 AM
    Not sure if his will help, but have you tried saving your stored emails to a different folder on your server! Its not something i am familiar with.
    Play_time likes this.
    12-26-12 10:24 AM
    Okay, so you should look into learning about the differences between POP3 and IMAP. Basically, POP will download whatever is on your server and delete it from your server. Only one copy of the emails is present. IMAP, which I personally prefer is when the emails get downloaded but do not get deleted from the mail server. So you can delete the local copy (the one on PlayBook) and the same email still remain on the server.

the issue is that it wants to sync and download to the Playbook the 2894 emails that I have stored on the server.
    Is there anyway to stop this large a sync or to perhaps adjust the number of emails that are/can be downloaded?
    Try Advanced Options when you're setting up, there is an option that let's you choose how many days you want to sync initially. I believe you can also choose to sync nothing!

Conversely if I continue with the download and then delete 2885 of the emails will the sync feature want to download the original 2894 or so emails again?
    I can't say 100% but, I'm pretty sure that if you delete mail from PlayBook, they will also get deleted from the mail server so they won't be downloaded again. (Assuming it's set up using POP)

Is there a means to delete multiple emails from the Playbook?
    Nope! BUT, what you can do is delete the email account from the PlayBook and set it up again keeping the above info in mind!

I suggest you set up "manually" using IMAP. Good luck!
    12-26-12 11:07 AM
    Hi JameB;

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question. Actually through some of the provided input from cjcampbell and BigwhiteUK the issue is now sorted out. I'll provide a quick overview of how it was solved in case anyone else runs into this problem.

First off, I do have my email account set up for IMAP and for the very reasons you've identified. However I can say that my server emails did not delete when I deleted them from my Playbook, which for me is a good thing. Thank you for conveying this very sound advice.

I've looked and there is a manual sync feature in the time line to setting up the sync periodicity but I don't know that using it would prevent the Playbook account from wanting to download the entire server of emails so perhaps someone out there can answer this. For my part the optimal bottom line would have been to first re-create another Archive folder in my server email account and transfer the emails I didn't want to sync with my Playbook into it. By the time I did this I had to delete approximately 1650 that had downloaded onto my Playbook....thank you cjcampbell for enlightening me about the Select option because I thought I'd have to do it one email at a time. Lesson learned though!
    12-26-12 02:35 PM
    Hi JameB;

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question. Actually through some of the provided input from cjcampbell and BigwhiteUK the issue is now sorted out. I'll provide a quick overview of how it was solved in case anyone else runs into this problem.

First off, I do have my email account set up for IMAP and for the very reasons you've identified. However I can say that my server emails did not delete when I deleted them from my Playbook, which for me is a good thing. Thank you for conveying this very sound advice.

I've looked and there is a manual sync feature in the time line to setting up the sync periodicity but I don't know that using it would prevent the Playbook account from wanting to download the entire server of emails so perhaps someone out there can answer this. For my part the optimal bottom line would have been to first re-create another Archive folder in my server email account and transfer the emails I didn't want to sync with my Playbook into it. By the time I did this I had to delete approximately 1650 that had downloaded onto my Playbook....thank you cjcampbell for enlightening me about the Select option because I thought I'd have to do it one email at a time. Lesson learned though!
    Glad I could help. I wondered the same thing when I first got mine. Oddly enough though, is that using Bridged email is different than native email to select multiple messages at a time. Not sure why they couldn't have been the same.
    12-26-12 02:47 PM