Noob stuff i guess.
    I read the 101 articles about email, BIS, BES and stuff...
    But here are my questions.
    Do BB's only work with emails interacting with a BIS / BES server or do BB's also have a client email application that talks straight to your email server (be it yahoo, gmail or whatever) without going through your carrier BB servers?

What would be the pros and cons if the 2 options are available?

One that i could think of would be that your BB could still be able to check emails via WIFI if you are in another contry and you dont want expensive roaming charges with your carrier.
    Thanks
    Last edited by axo; 02-27-10 at 08:20 PM.
    02-27-10 08:14 PM
    Noob stuff i guess.
    I read the 101 articles about email, BIS, BES and stuff...
    But here are my questions.
    Do BB's only work with emails interacting with a BIS / BES server or do BB's also have a client email application that talks straight to your email server (be it yahoo, gmail or whatever) without going through your carrier BB servers?

What would be the pros and cons if the 2 options are available?

One that i could think of would be that your BB could still be able to check emails via WIFI if you are in another contry and you dont want expensive roaming charges with your carrier.
    Thanks
    If you are hooked up via WiFi you could launch Opera or Bolt and surf to mail.yahoo.com or gmail.com, or whichever other service you may select and see your email, but it wouldn't be downloaded to your phone. When I was in Sweden I could use our internal WiFi and log into my accounts, but it was more difficult to use through the web browser than the built in email application. I would highly suggest using the mobile web sites than the traditional ones if available.
    02-27-10 08:50 PM
    So that means that there is no way to set up the BB email clients to work without using their servers right?

Are there any 3rd party clients?
    02-27-10 09:12 PM
    So that means that there is no way to set up the BB email clients to work without using their servers right?

As far as I know that is correct.
    02-28-10 12:07 AM

If you don't want to use the RIM servers for email on your phone, then don't use a BlackBerry. You need to get a different device.

BlackBerry isn't the right device for you.
    02-28-10 08:16 AM
    You can still achieve your push email via Wi-Fi. If you disable the mobile network access and just leave Wi-Fi active then your connection to BIS via Wi-Fi will still give you your data access to use email, web, BBM etc.
    02-28-10 09:13 AM
    You can still achieve your push email via Wi-Fi. If you disable the mobile network access and just leave Wi-Fi active then your connection to BIS via Wi-Fi will still give you your data access to use email, web, BBM etc.
    It seems as if the OP doesn't want to use BIS/BES. He/She just wants to access emails without the RIM servers
    02-28-10 09:20 AM
    It seems as if the OP doesn't want to use BIS/BES. He/She just wants to access emails without the RIM servers
    Possibly but ...

Thanks
    I was just answering this bit that with the mobile network disabled and an active wi-fi connection active then the OP could still get his email via BB push service without incurring expense roaming charges
    03-02-10 08:20 AM
    Possibly but ...

I was just answering this bit that with the mobile network disabled and an active wi-fi connection active then the OP could still get his email via BB push service without incurring expense roaming charges
    How? Without BIS or BES, what is doing the pushing?
    03-03-10 10:48 PM
    Install BES Express on a WH2008 server? Or I think you can use Z-Push on Linux but I'm not for sure.
    03-04-10 12:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD