Hi,

I am new to the Blackberry device and have a very elementary doubt on how the Blackberry Push email service work.

What I gather is:-

1) The BIS polls my mail server to see if there is a new mail.
    2) If it finds one, it sends the first 2kb of the message to the mobile device.

Now, how does the BIS send the notification to the mobile device?
    -> Does the device has an always on GPRS connection with the BIS / or polls to the BIS for new mail updates?

Could some one please clarify my doubt.

Thanks
    Surbhit
    02-26-10 06:47 AM
    Here you go, follow this link and this should tell you everything you need to know

BlackBerry Internet Service - Manuals and Guides
    02-26-10 07:56 AM
    Hi,

I am new to the Blackberry device and have a very elementary doubt on how the Blackberry Push email service work.

What I gather is:-

1) The BIS polls my mail server to see if there is a new mail.
    2) If it finds one, it sends the first 2kb of the message to the mobile device.

Now, how does the BIS send the notification to the mobile device?
    -> Does the device has an always on GPRS connection with the BIS / or polls to the BIS for new mail updates?

Could some one please clarify my doubt.

Thanks
    Surbhit
    Your device is always on, meaning it's constantly connected to BIS, this is how you get your e-mails instantly, BBM messages instantly, etc.
    02-26-10 07:58 AM
    The RIM servers evaluate when there's a change i.e. you get a new email and push that change to the device.
    02-26-10 08:06 AM
    Mark thanks for the doc links. Though the docs uses the phrase "The BlackBerry Internet Service delivers the email message to the subscriber's BlackBerry device over the wireless network." , So the question is the mobile device has a constant gprs connection to the Blackberry Server? Keeping my mobile with a constant GPRS connection should be then tough on battery life of the device rite?
    02-26-10 08:42 AM
    That is correct, the handheld is connected to BIS, but it has minimal impact on battery life compared to Voice use.

In practice, there are several different types of email. Web based email, Google for example, pass the message nearly instantly. Other types of email, POP and IMAP require BIS to poll for new messages every 15 min, or 1 min if there has been activity in the past couple minutes.

Finally, there are emails that can not be polled by BIS becasue they are behind firewalls. In that case, the mail client can be forwarded to a special purpose account @carrier.blackberry.net.

In each case, you will receive the first 2 Kb of the message. There are times when that can be an issue, but it fine for the vast majority of your communications.
    02-26-10 12:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD