Hi everybody, I came across Eelo OS
    https://e.foundation/

A mobile OS which aim at increasing our data privacy, not sending tons of data to Google servers etc.

They already have quite a few phones compatible for the OS and I was wondering if anybody knew about it and how it compare to the our specific version of Android that has been worked on by BlackBerry?

Quite a few of us are looking to BlackBerry for Privacy, but we still have Google services all over the phones. Using this Eelo OS might be another step in the right direction. What do you guys think ?
    04-19-19 09:56 AM
    Hi everybody, I came across Eelo OS
    https://e.foundation/

A mobile OS which aim at increasing our data privacy, not sending tons of data to Google servers etc.

They already have quite a few phones compatible for the OS and I was wondering if anybody knew about it and how it compare to the our specific version of Android that has been worked on by BlackBerry?

Quite a few of us are looking to BlackBerry for Privacy, but we still have Google services all over the phones. Using this Eelo OS might be another step in the right direction. What do you guys think ?
    I like the concept. If you can't live without a BB though, you can disable all Google Apps on a BB Android device without negative affects.
    04-19-19 10:13 AM
    That's a starting point that's true. However on the foundation website, they say that "even when using no Google service, the phone connects to Google Servers tens of times per hour (91 times per hour for an Android mobile) with a total amount of 11,6MB of data sent on a single day."

This is kinda nuts.
    04-19-19 10:25 AM
    They have some community pages... might want to ask people there.

It's still Android, they are tweaking LineageOS - but not sure what level it is. But unlike Sailfish, it will run Android Apps... issue is so many today are built to utilize Google services. And if Google is moving to Fuchsia might make these Android clones a dead end at some point in the future....

Would be great if they can do what they want to do. Wish the EU would funnel their "fines" into projects like this.
    04-19-19 10:32 AM
    But unlike Sailfish, it will run Android Apps...
    Sailfish 3 has an Oreo (8.1) runtime. I'm not sure what it has for Android push capabilities though.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Forums v1.3.3.
    anon(10218918) likes this.
    04-19-19 11:33 AM
    Sailfish 3 has an Oreo (8.1) runtime. I'm not sure what it has for Android push capabilities though.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Forums v1.3.3.
    I didn't know they had finally upgraded it.... last I hear Sailfish 3 released the end of last year still just had the 4.4.4 ART. I know that was the thing many Sailfish owners were asking for.

Need to check it out, and see which device were able to get updated.

Update: Looks like only one Sony phone has it... Sony X2A. Jolla's own phones, the Tablet nor the older Sony's have gotten it yet.
    Last edited by Dunt Dunt Dunt; 04-19-19 at 01:09 PM.
    anon(10512033) likes this.
    04-19-19 11:51 AM
    I didn't know they had finally upgraded it.... last I hear Sailfish 3 released the end of last year still just had the 4.4.4 ART. I know that was the thing many Sailfish owners were asking for.

Need to check it out, and see which device were able to get updated.

Update: Looks like only one Sony phone has it... Sony X2A. Jolla's own phones, the Tablet nor the older Sony's have gotten it yet.
    Good catch. I didn't see that.
    04-19-19 01:32 PM
    Good catch. I didn't see that.
    More like a beta right now... but going from 4.4.4 to 8.1 is VERY impressive in my book. I'm wondering if Russia being more involved has given them some additional funding and direction. Russia doesn't want Google, but like everyone else they want apps.
    04-19-19 01:38 PM
    The phones are designed such that you can't install another OS in them. Depending on your perspective, this is either a security feature or draconian overreach.
    04-19-19 01:39 PM
    The phones are designed such that you can't install another OS in them. Depending on your perspective, this is either a security feature or draconian overreach.
    Yeah I kinda missed that point of the OP post... BBOS, BB10 and BlackBerry Android Secure phones, won't run any other OS. Good, Bad... that's the way it is.

Personally, I would have loved to have seen even an Android ROM for my PlayBook.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-19-19 02:01 PM
    Yeah I kinda missed that point of the OP post... BBOS, BB10 and BlackBerry Android Secure phones, won't run any other OS. Good, Bad... that's the way it is.

Personally, I would have loved to have seen even an Android ROM for my PlayBook.
    There is an alternative, any android device with OTG and bluetooth keyboard, just keep it plugged in all the time and the battery never dies. then again, that is cumbersome for most.

Submitted via blackberry passport on freedom mobile HSPA+ or LTE
    04-19-19 06:23 PM
    thanks for the feedback guys, I was hoping it was possible to install it on BlackBerry phones.

I guess, I'm gonna have to choose if I want to keep my PKB or go to a phone that has strengthen privacy.
    04-19-19 11:30 PM
    thanks for the feedback guys, I was hoping it was possible to install it on BlackBerry phones.

I guess, I'm gonna have to choose if I want to keep my PKB or go to a phone that has strengthen privacy.
    While I agree BB Ltd can do more with their version of Android to increase it's privacy, there are things we as users can leverage to increase it for ourselves.

1) Simply disable Google Play Services and stop using Chrome
    2) Install a Firewall to control all outbound connecitons
    3) Use Tor or Firefox with VPN and privacy extensions
    4) Avoid using applications. Instead try the website first (using tor/firefox).
    5) Use E2E encrypted messaging

Doing those things, coupled with the fact that a BB Android device is the most secure device on the market (as far as we know publicly), is going to be your best option for security and privacy in my opinion.
    04-20-19 07:41 AM