01-19-17 03:25 AM
    Everything he notes BlackBerry has denied, clarified or agreed with in the past. He's just digging up old stuff but you know, it's Snowden, so the hype train will run with it.

http://crackberry.com/indian-governm...p-bbm-messages
    http://blogs.blackberry.com/2015/11/...ting-pakistan/
    http://crackberry.com/blackberry-rea...ty-and-privacy
    http://crackberry.com/shots-fired-bl...t-your-privacy
    http://crackberry.com/john-chen-priv...dware-business
    http://crackberry.com/john-chen-spea...-stands-it-all

It's up to customers to decide who they feel is dishing out the truth when it comes to security and privacy. That said, I expect someone at BlackBerry is already working up an Inside BlackBerry blog post to address this. If not, they should be lol.
    01-19-17 03:33 AM
    Giving up some measure of your absolute freedom is a necessary precondition for living in a society.

This whole idea that everyone should be totally free to do whatever they want comes from a fundamentally mistaken understanding of the U.S. constitution.

I recommend that 'libertarians' do a bit more reading and reflection and a bit less pompous moralizing.

Start by having a read of Thomas Hobbes' 'Leviathan' and work your way from there.

I wonder how closely he is being watched in Russia, BTW.
    01-19-17 03:47 AM
    BlackBerry isn't the same company anymore since Mike Lazaridis was forced to leave. Costumers should keep in mind that John Chen and his board aren't trustful. They are lying a lot, about BlackBerry, BlackBerry10, app support, privacy, future plans, their servers, backdoors etc. - sure, BlackBerry still is more secure than many other players. But I wouldn't trust them anymore if I had a company with really important or 'secret' data e.g. data of prototypes of a car company etc. BlackBerry had rough years - but now their trust and strengstens are dying.

This makes all of us suspects. This isn't the term of "a free world" when a government sees ALL(!) of it's people as "potential criminals". Its about power and control and money - not that much about security.

My view on BlackBerry has changed a lot the past 2 years.

And it still leaves a bad taste to see Giuliani including that deep into BlackBerry.

If I'm wrong I'm sorry for that words and it's really about security.
    maybe I'm just paranoid.

Posted via CB10
    wilber1, Dunt Dunt Dunt and sorinv like this.
    01-19-17 06:39 AM
    BlackBerry isn't the same company anymore since Mike Lazaridis was forced to leave. Costumers should keep in mind that John Chen and his board aren't trustful. They are lying a lot, about BlackBerry, BlackBerry10, app support, privacy, future plans, their servers, backdoors etc. - sure, BlackBerry still is more secure than many other players. But I wouldn't trust them anymore if I had a company with really important or 'secret' data e.g. data of prototypes of a car company etc. BlackBerry had rough years - but now their trust and strengstens are dying.

This makes all of us suspects. This isn't the term of "a free world" when a government sees ALL(!) of it's people as "potential criminals". Its about power and control and money - not that much about security.

And it still leaves a bad taste to see Giuliani including that deep into BlackBerry.

maybe I'm just paranoid.

Posted via CB10
    Apology accepted.
    01-19-17 07:12 AM
    I remember a #factcheck they use to promote better than a a new phone

Posted via CB10
    01-19-17 07:13 AM
    Giving up some measure of your absolute freedom is a necessary precondition for living in a society.

This whole idea that everyone should be totally free to do whatever they want comes from a fundamentally mistaken understanding of the U.S. constitution.

I recommend that 'libertarians' do a bit more reading and reflection and a bit less pompous moralizing.

Start by having a read of Thomas Hobbes' 'Leviathan' and work your way from there.

I wonder how closely he is being watched in Russia, BTW.
    Being watched? Wasn't Snowden helping Russia to disrupt the US election and hack the democratic email servers? It's either that or Siberia. Lol.
    Jrox74 and anon(9721108) like this.
    01-19-17 07:59 AM
    Apology accepted.
    "This bickering is pointless. Vader, release him!"
    conite likes this.
    01-19-17 08:01 AM
    I think I disagree with Snowden about the "unlock these communications that we want for investigations that are going through your enterprise service", because he makes it sound like he is talking about BES connnections mediated though the BB infrastructure, although he probably is talking about BIS.

Apart from that, he is perfectly right with everything else he said.

Still I wonder how he can prefer iOS.
    From a legal point of view, yes, Apple is certainly defending our privacy much better, also in the public political debate.
    But from a technical point of view, iOS is still a s...show (probably slightly better than Android, though).

He is right though, Apple does a much better PR job in the public and make sure their customers continue to trust their phones and iCloud.
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    01-19-17 08:25 AM
    I think I disagree with Snowden about the "unlock these communications that we want for investigations that are going through your enterprise service", because he makes it sound like he is talking about BES connnections mediated though the BB infrastructure, although he probably is talking about BIS.

Apart from that, he is perfectly right with everything else he said.

Still I wonder how he can prefer iOS.
    From a legal point of view, yes, Apple is certainly defending our privacy much better, also in the public political debate.
    But from a technical point of view, iOS is still a s...show (probably slightly better than Android, though).

He is right though, Apple does a much better PR job in the public and make sure their customers continue to trust their phones and iCloud.
    Your PR has to be good when you have data breaches of iCloud lol.

Posted via CB10
    Jrox74 likes this.
    01-19-17 08:30 AM
    Well maybe Apple pays him for the sake of PR. )
    01-19-17 08:45 AM
    Your PR has to be good when you have data breaches of iCloud lol.

Posted via CB10
    Weren't all those "breaches" a case of bad reused passwords?
    ssbtech likes this.
    01-19-17 09:01 AM
    Being watched? Wasn't Snowden helping Russia to disrupt the US election and hack the democratic email servers?
    No. Where did you come up with that nonsense?
    Carl Estes and iamagod like this.
    01-19-17 09:23 AM
    The Internet....

If someone writes it, someone will believe it.
    01-19-17 09:42 AM
    You can bet that Putin will not keep him around if he isn't useful to Russia. And Putin has a long track record of taking care of people he doesn't have use for anymore.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    01-19-17 10:22 AM

It is not necessary precondition when society affords you those rights within the laws of whatever society you're living in.

Posted via CB10
    Jrox74, shaleem and medic22003 like this.
    01-19-17 10:35 AM

maybe I'm just paranoid.

Posted via CB10
    Some of the issues Bla1ze and the original article mention predate Chen and even Heins. They've become more transparent about it in recent years (as the above links show) but there's still room for improvement.

BlackBerry has 'no plans' to issue transparency reports on gov't data requests | ZDNet
    01-19-17 10:47 AM
    Some of the issues Bla1ze and the original article mention predate Chen and even Heins. They've become more transparent about it in recent years (as the above links show) but there's still room for improvement.

BlackBerry has 'no plans' to issue transparency reports on gov't data requests | ZDNet
    That's true.
    Still I'm sure that they can't tell more about that, because if they did there would be a lot of "bad surprises" for their costumers.
    01-19-17 11:06 AM

Nasty, brutish, and short...
    FF22 and ppeters914 like this.
    01-19-17 11:23 AM
    It's up to customers to decide who they feel is dishing out the truth when it comes to security and privacy. That said, I expect someone at BlackBerry is already working up an Inside BlackBerry blog post to address this. If not, they should be lol.
    Guest post from Rudy Giuliani...
    SirSti23 and Superdupont 2_0 like this.
    01-19-17 12:25 PM
    Everything he notes BlackBerry has denied, clarified or agreed with in the past. He's just digging up old stuff but you know, it's Snowden, so the hype train will run with it.
    Unfortunately, everything remains in a state of flux.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/12/u...nications.html
    The change means that far more officials will be searching through raw data. Essentially, the government is reducing the risk that the N.S.A. will fail to recognize that a piece of information would be valuable to another agency, but increasing the risk that officials will see private information about innocent people.
    It should be about protecting the individual's rights.

Being from Canada, more likely than not, you have similar instances.
    01-19-17 12:27 PM
    Guest post from Rudy Giuliani...
    He's hacking one together right now.
    01-19-17 01:31 PM
    The Internet....

If someone writes it, someone will believe it.
    True, must be why you post here dozens of time a day. Someone is bound to believe you. ;-)

FWIW I was joking (in case you didn't pick up on it) but if anyone believes the beacon of truth and freedom enlightening the world is from Putin's back pocket (aka Snowden, who is firmly stuck in it) they had better think again...
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    01-19-17 01:36 PM
    BlackBerry has to be careful with their messaging on privacy and security. They have to emphasize their cooperation with lawful government requests for customer data because many of their largest and most loyal clients are governments!

I would like to see BlackBerry release a government transparency report on the number of requests they receive, how many of those requests they actually fulfill, etc.

Microsoft, Google, Apple, and others publish such transparency reports for public viewing. BlackBerry should, too.
    FF22 likes this.
    01-19-17 03:43 PM
    BlackBerry has to be careful with their messaging on privacy and security. They have to emphasize their cooperation with lawful government requests for customer data because many of their largest and most loyal clients are governments!

I would like to see BlackBerry release a government transparency report on the number of requests they receive, how many of those requests they actually fulfill, etc.

Microsoft, Google, Apple, and others publish such transparency reports for public viewing. BlackBerry should, too.
    I wonder how many BBOS device and BBM accounts went dark after El Chapo was caught with BlackBerry's help. It's not that BlackBerry did anything wrong, just that far too many didn't fully understand what level of "privacy" BlackBerry really offers. Sometimes being fully transparent with your customers... is what's best for your bottom line.
    FF22 likes this.
    01-19-17 03:55 PM
75 123