I think it's safe to say that "Edge is not better than 3G". The difference is up for debate, but certainly 3G won't slow you down compared to edge.
    05-07-08 03:18 PM
    I agree that 3G eats up power BUT I miss it ...the capabilities alone of being able to send and receive email while on a voice call is awesome as well as chat on IM and hopefully BB msgr too!
    I guess I am used to multi-tasking and most folks that I talk to aren't 'textually' inclined
    05-07-08 03:20 PM
    I had a samsung sync (clearly not bb quality) but 3G... And I didn't see a huge difference in speed. It was def. there, but I'm content with the speed of my curve. Wifi is def. Something that would be nice since I'm around it almost all the time unless I'm on the road.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Again, a poor browser will significantly reduce 3G speed, and Samsung's browsers are, from what I have heard, quite poor.

I need to go back and restate something I said earlier by the way. Someone above mentioned the processor as the most important thing for speedy browsing, and while that isn't true at all, the processor still holds some weight over browsing. A slow processor will in fact reduce your browsing speed if it can't keep up with running the browser at a good pace. The connection provides the data to the browser, but it is up to the processor to enable the browser to work and render that data into a website.

-3G with a poor browser and a poor processor is about equal to EDGE in terms of overall speed.
    -3G with a good browser and a snappy processor is far faster than EDGE in terms of overall speed.
    05-07-08 03:28 PM
    I guess AT&T last year around the time of the iPhone launch did increase the speed of the EDGE network. (Google "Fine Edge" for more information.) Basically they just tweaked it and took care of some of the weak links. The result was that many users were and are consistantly getting between 150 and 200 Kbps, close to the theoretical maxiumum of 200 Kbps. A few reported speeds exceeding that, but we all know those reports can be inaccurate.

This is obviously still not nearly as good as 3G or EVDO, but for those of us who live in non-3G coverage areas, it has been a welcome improvement. It's at least more tolerable. For no more web browsing than I do, it works okay for me for now, I guess. Five years from now, we'll all look back and laugh at EDGE, and probably 3G, too.

It's all relative...
    05-07-08 04:07 PM
    Again, a poor browser will significantly reduce 3G speed, and Samsung's browsers are, from what I have heard, quite poor.

I need to go back and restate something I said earlier by the way. Someone above mentioned the processor as the most important thing for speedy browsing, and while that isn't true at all, the processor still holds some weight over browsing. A slow processor will in fact reduce your browsing speed if it can't keep up with running the browser at a good pace. The connection provides the data to the browser, but it is up to the processor to enable the browser to work and render that data into a website.

-3G with a poor browser and a poor processor is about equal to EDGE in terms of overall speed.
    -3G with a good browser and a snappy processor is far faster than EDGE in terms of overall speed.
    So would you rather be stuck in traffic in a Ferrari or Prius?
    05-07-08 04:30 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD