Hello everyone,

I am currently using an Iphone 3G on ATT which I am about to ditch both phone and service for more reasons than I feel like typing out here .

I am also using an 8700 (Government Issued) on Tmo.

Countless numbers of times I have typed the same address into the browser field on both the 8700 and Iphone and pushed send at the exact same time (Im want to get an 8900 and wanted to see how much slower Edge is than 3G)

Everytime the 8700 running on EDGE loads equally as fast as the 3G and abour 35% of the time actually beats the iphone to the page. Now I know it is a different story when talking about streaming media. As far as web browser is concernce I feel like the edge is just as good if not better.

I live in DC and my 8700 on Tmo always has service where as the ATT is soo hit or miss I cant stand it.

P.S. Im debating whether or not to wait for Tmo to produce the 9700 but not sure if its worth the wait, the only difference I really gather over the 8900 is trackpad and 3g. I dont know if I will like the trackpad or trackball better I am using the 8700 with track wheel and I love it haha.
    09-03-09 03:48 PM
    At times... I miss my old 8700. But to be honest, I am pulling back from buying the latest and greatest blackberry. Reason being..I just don't see that much improvement over older systems. Are the newer systems faster? Yes. More options? Yes. The problem with me is, I only use it for email and I don't see big improvements on that from RIM. I was just as happy on my 8700,8300,8310 and now my bold. Honestly-i loved my 8700. Do what you want. But I can't say you are getting a "better" product than wht you already have.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-03-09 04:01 PM
    I respectively disagree. The 8700 is not going to load as fast or close to as fast as 3G or the iphone. I think you are loading to mobile sites on the 8700 by default and the HTML site on 3G and iphone.

I owned an 8700 for 4 years and thought it the best ever phone and that the trackwheel had no competitor. Then I got an 8900 4 months and was blown away and brought into the 21st century. Graphics, processor speed, and ease of changing calendar entries greatly improved. Not to mention media and video advantages. And the trackball is far superior to the trackwheel.

I don't like the iphone and new phones come out as fast as OctoMom's babies, but if you decided on the 8900 you should be quite satisfied.

Ken
    09-03-09 09:29 PM
    You have to realize that the iPhone is loading actual web pages directly into its browser. The 8700 is going through a proxy, which is reducing the amount of data being sent to the BB itself.

One of the reasons carriers like BBs is bevause of the reduced bandwidth usage. The iPhone uses up a lot more bandwidth.
    09-04-09 07:33 AM
    I had an 8700 before my Bold and my Bold blows away the speed to load pages. It's like going from dial-up to DSL.
    09-04-09 08:52 AM
    As far as I know the 3G has to connect first, I remember having the option on my nokia e61 to keep it on or when needed. 2G is always connected so the first load up of the browser might take a bit longer on 3G. One place you notice 3g being much faster is when you download a file.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-04-09 10:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD