Google Maps only uses cell towers or external bluetooth GPS units. This may change in the future.
    This is completely untrue.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-24-09 11:21 AM
    You have to extract the file and use BB Desktop manager to install it.
    yeah theres not OTA that I know of, and GPSed isn't to bad if you go for a hike and want to track it.
    07-24-09 11:52 AM
    This is completely untrue.

Others here have said the samething about gmaps not using internal GPS, so I took that to be true. I did some research and it looks like Google Maps mightbe having an issue with the new 8330m phones or OS 4.5. Looks to affect gmaps 3.0.2

Tech said they are aware of the issue and looking into it. I suppose it is just a matter of time before an updated version is out with a fix. I still can't post links but if you google "does google maps use internal gps", the very first link will go to a google forum about this issue.
    Last edited by kremus; 07-24-09 at 12:12 PM.
    07-24-09 12:08 PM
    Right, but its all gmaps on the 8330m. Its the only program that doesn't use my internal gps. Google has known about this for almost a year, and has pretty much given up on it. They may say they are, but after a year? Cmon...we're not stupid Google.

I've heard that the gps in the m is the same on in the tour, which may explain why gmaps doesn't work on some of them...who knows...

07-24-09 12:38 PM
    this honesty works! Just install, run once, then delete Garmin! Thanks so much!
    07-24-09 05:17 PM
    I could not get this to work for me. Can you give step by step instructions for the technically challanged like me?
    07-24-09 08:10 PM
    I assume you know how to use your browser, right? In the address bar, enter the link found in post #14- I am not allowed to have links in my posts yet- and press your trackball. Note that there is no "www" in the address- if your browser pre-fills the www then delete it. After you download, it will automatically install and ask you if you want to run it. Choose yes, and let it lock onto the sats. Then, you should be able to close the program, and in fact even delete it, and use BB Maps. Mine works so well now, I get a lock on 8-13 sats within 2-10 seconds, even indoors. Good luck.
    07-24-09 09:25 PM
    Yes Yes Yes Yes, i've been trying to get BB Maps to work since i got my phone about 2 months ago and was a little let down by the GPS not working. Google Maps was ok but not the same. But now its AWSOME. Thank you, Thank you Thank You Thank you thank you.
    07-27-09 07:08 PM
    I have a similar problem. My google maps locates me within 4500 meters, whereas my BB maps puts me dead on. Amaze maps puts me 204 miles away and Garmin seems to working fairly well, although when inside the house, it takes a minute to lock on.
    07-28-09 09:01 PM
    I deleted my Garmin trial and BB maps still works fine. Sat. lock almost instantly, even indoors. Why doesn't USCC know this? As recently as last week, I was advised by a tech at a corporate store that GPS would likely never work on my Curve due to network limitations, they had all they could handle just accommodating E911. Is is possible USCC intentionally crippled the GPS in these phones for that reason?
    I read in another post that there was talks of a class action against some carriers for disabling a factory setup in order to get you to purchase after-market programs or an external bluetooth gps unit.

today i installed the garmin setup too, ran as long as 30 minutes before and could not lock into gps, NOW, found 7 sats in 5 seconds and never lost 'em, now bb maps even faster than my ms trips on company provided laptop.

take that uscc, you cannot refuse to give the unlock code, we will just find a way around you then while you get a black eye..........
    07-28-09 09:44 PM
    I read in another post that there was talks of a class action against some carriers for disabling a factory setup in order to get you to purchase after-market programs or an external bluetooth gps unit.

today i installed the garmin setup too, ran as long as 30 minutes before and could not lock into gps, NOW, found 7 sats in 5 seconds and never lost 'em, now bb maps even faster than my ms trips on company provided laptop.

take that uscc, you cannot refuse to give the unlock code, we will just find a way around you then while you get a black eye..........
    I read both here and on HoFo that the issue is with Google, not USCC.

07-28-09 10:27 PM
    I read both here and on HoFo that the issue is with Google, not USCC.

The google issue has to do with the app not using the internal gps. Nothing else.

As far as us having to "jumpstart" our bb's to get gps to even work is a RIM issue. This issue is common with other carriers such as Sprint also. RIM has to provide a new OS or some sort of fix for this. Basically, it appears that they forgot to put some vital GPS info into the latest OS releases for our phones. As for why USCC peeps say that it will never work, I assume they don't know any better or they tell you that it doesn't work so you never get your hopes up.
    07-29-09 08:33 AM
    I just tested this fix with bbmaps and gmaps and both locked on within 10 seconds. And with gmaps it was very close to where I was actually located in my house on sat view. With bbmaps it put me in my front yard.

Also, this has nothing to do with maps, when I typed sec and pushed the space bar it automaticly finished the word for me. I've never noticed that before. Lol.

Thanks for the info. It worked great. I just hope it lasts.

Jamey

Update...
    I just deleted garmin and rebooted and both bbmaps and gmaps are still working great and picking up sats within 10-15 seconds.

Last edited by jj97blazer; 07-31-09 at 02:15 AM.
    07-31-09 01:40 AM
    I downloaded Garmin Trial. Tried to open Garmin on my BB and it says "Garmin Mobile has not detected a paired Bluetooth GPS reciever...blah..blah...blah

the only option it allows me is "exit".

What am I doing incorrectly?
    07-31-09 01:08 PM
    I downloaded Garmin Trial. Tried to open Garmin on my BB and it says "Garmin Mobile has not detected a paired Bluetooth GPS reciever...blah..blah...blah

It sounds like you downloaded the wrong version. There are two versions...one for use with a device that has built-in GPS capabilities and the other for use with devices that do not have GPS and instead rely on an external GPS receiver or "puck."

Uninstall the version you have and get the version that is for BlackBerry's WITH internal GPS.

EDIT: I also just saw that you have Verizon...I'm not sure if Garmin Mobile works with VZW given their propensity to meddle with GPS and Bluetooth configurations...I'm not saying it doesn't work but it might be a possibility.
    07-31-09 01:57 PM

I got the same error as you. I noticed that all the posts on here are for USCC and this little trick seems to only work for them.

It doesn't seem to work on verizon phones. I think they are locked in a different way.

BBmaps works solid with GPS already on my curve, but I tried the garmin route to see what would happen because I wanted to use gmaps.

Verizon needs to unlock the GPS for third party apps, but they won't on older models.

Edit: BigE, the link provided did an auto-download of garmin. must have been the gps puck version given
    Last edited by nmbbaddict; 07-31-09 at 02:23 PM. Reason: update
    07-31-09 02:20 PM
    The google issue has to do with the app not using the internal gps. Nothing else.

As far as us having to "jumpstart" our bb's to get gps to even work is a RIM issue. This issue is common with other carriers such as Sprint also. RIM has to provide a new OS or some sort of fix for this. Basically, it appears that they forgot to put some vital GPS info into the latest OS releases for our phones. As for why USCC peeps say that it will never work, I assume they don't know any better or they tell you that it doesn't work so you never get your hopes up.

in another thread there was a USCC tech who said he has given out the unlock codes unknown to him this was protected information. it is not a rim problem, i know of another recent 8830 from verizon that did the same thing, syn with my laptop and install garmin, booom, works just fine know, they were told in order to do any better than google maps with cell tower location of 2000 meters they needed to purchase the turn by turn app from verizon to open up bb maps.

btw, last weekend emailed USCC tech about getting my gps to work, and removing the auto signature from the end (no ones biz if i wrote on bb or not) said neither was possible through tech support, they did not have the proper access, only rim. when i said to never mind i broke the gps anyway, they asked if i used the garmin like everyone else

still have not figured out how to remove the auto signature, but someone has to know how
    08-01-09 01:25 PM
    Removing the auto-signature is easy. You just have to log into BlackBerry Internet Service on your PC and enter your BIS account info, then edit your e-mail account signatures.

Check out the How-To section for more info.
    08-02-09 01:17 PM
    I installed Garmin Mobil with no results. I rebooted by taking the battery out and all GPS applications work now!!

I see posts where people mention the number of satellites they are connected to. Where are you seeing this?
    08-02-09 03:54 PM
    bottom of screen on either Garmin or BB Maps, to able or unable that bottom 1/8 inch (dashboard) where it quotes number of sats/speed/time, use your space bar
    08-02-09 03:56 PM
    in another thread there was a USCC tech who said he has given out the unlock codes unknown to him this was protected information. it is not a rim problem, i know of another recent 8830 from verizon that did the same thing, syn with my laptop and install garmin, booom, works just fine know, they were told in order to do any better than google maps with cell tower location of 2000 meters they needed to purchase the turn by turn app from verizon to open up bb maps.

btw, last weekend emailed USCC tech about getting my gps to work, and removing the auto signature from the end (no ones biz if i wrote on bb or not) said neither was possible through tech support, they did not have the proper access, only rim. when i said to never mind i broke the gps anyway, they asked if i used the garmin like everyone else

still have not figured out how to remove the auto signature, but someone has to know how
    I read in another thread that prior to OS 4.5 on USCC that GPS worked. I don't know from experience as i just recently got my BB. Who knows, maybe USCC asked RIM to turn it off. Eitherway, as long as this works, and it is still working for me, I'm happy.

Also, for the people who can't get this to work. You should verify that you have GPS turned on in Options > Advanced Options > GPS. I think by default from USCC, only 911 aware GPS is working.

As far as verizon users, that's a whole different ball game. I have read that some have been able to crack Verizon GPS phones or that Verizon is unlocking some phones, but I don't know this for sure. You should probably stick to the Verizon threads for more info.
    08-03-09 12:51 PM
    Will this work with Sprint Navigation? and what are the differences/advantages of BB maps vs. Sprint Navigation? I get it free, so that's not an issue.
    08-03-09 05:56 PM
    I installed the Garmin trial on my wife's 8330m and it picks up GPS very quickly now - very nice find!
    08-05-09 07:28 AM
    I guess it was about a week ago now that installed, ran & uninstalled garmin and bbmaps and gmaps are still working great. Also Poynt is locking on now and I just noticed that the geo tagging feature for pictures is working now. Poynt locks on within 5 or so seconds and geo tagging is locking on within about 8 or so. I'm running 4.5.0.160 os. I tryed to do this with 4.5.0.66 os and it didn't work as good. I can't remember it working at all actually. I'm sure some if not most of yall are running the stock USCC os and it's working fine for yall. Maybe I didn't do something right before. It's all working great for me now so I'm happy.

Later,
    Jamey

08-07-09 04:17 PM
    I installed this to get my Alltel 8330m to work. Does anyone know what modifications it is actually making so we can reproduce them in the future without having to install 3rd party apps again?
    08-20-09 05:43 AM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD