I found this in Howard Forums and thought i should share. I can't post links yet but the thread at HF was titled "Pearl Flip GPS" in the uscc group.

I bought my 8330 this past Saturday and have had the same issues with GPS. I have 138 software and had no way of doing the hex dump solution to get my SPD and have been desperately wanting to use GPS.

User cjbajbo8 said he loaded the Garmin GPS trail version of software and has since had luck with using GPS on his bb, even with bbMaps. He downloaded it and installed it using the desktop manager.

I downloaded it from softpedia.com titled Garmin Mobile for blackberry 5.0.4, installed it using desktop manager, ran the Garman program once, closed it, started bbMaps up and litterally in 1-2 seconds, 9 satalites popped up and location was fixed. So I can confirm this works!!! Good luck everyone.
    07-15-09 12:41 PM
    Thanks for the info man. Mine works pretty good but it just takes a while for it to lock on with the sats. This is supposed to help that right?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-15-09 01:17 PM
    This is more for the people who couldn't get their BB's to lock onto any satalites as I guess there was a bit of information missing in the BB software. The garmin software must insert that info in. Prior to this, people had to hack their phone and insert this code.
    07-15-09 01:28 PM
    whats the download link for that? mine wont lock on satellites, i went to softpedia and couldnt find any by garmin, please help!
    07-15-09 07:23 PM
    whats the download link for that? mine wont lock on satellites, i went to softpedia and couldnt find any by garmin, please help!
    There's the link to the thread on HoFo. The link for the Garmin trial is found therein.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1548292

07-15-09 07:44 PM
    The Garmin software is also available in the BlackBerry Owners Lounge, and on Garmin's website.
    07-15-09 08:22 PM
    so ive tried the garmin trial and no luck, my gps stopped working once i upgraded to .138, any other fixes?
    07-15-09 08:26 PM
    just installed it on my us cell 8330, and sitting here on my couch in my living room I can pick up 9 sats, I couldnt get a lock at all before. It will be interesting to see what happens after the 3 day free trial.
    07-15-09 09:21 PM
    so ive tried the garmin trial and no luck, my gps stopped working once i upgraded to .138, any other fixes?
    Downgrade?

07-15-09 09:39 PM
    just installed it on my us cell 8330, and sitting here on my couch in my living room I can pick up 9 sats, I couldnt get a lock at all before. It will be interesting to see what happens after the 3 day free trial.
    I deleted garmin as soon as bb maps started working.
    once installed it is no longer needed!!!
    i suggest getting amaze or similar app, as i have gotten the can not acquire gps lock error since the fix, but firing up amaze fixes it..
    07-16-09 07:21 PM
    My God, this actually worked. I was NEVER able to get a satellite lock before, and now I get 10 within 2 or 3 seconds, indoors, on a cloudy day! I have not tried deleting the Garmin, I will simply let the 7-day trial expire. Both Garmin and BB Maps work great, will probably stick with BB Maps because I like the price (free) and I actually like how it works. Thanks so much for posting this; I l love USCC and the Curve, but always felt something was missing because I couldn't get the GPS working. I now feel like I have the perfect phone on the best network! Thanks so much.
    Last edited by jrr2020; 07-17-09 at 02:53 PM.
    07-17-09 02:48 PM
    My God, this actually worked. I was NEVER able to get a satellite lock before, and now I get 10 within 2 or 3 seconds, indoors, on a cloudy day! I have not tried deleting the Garmin, I will simply let the 7-day trial expire. Both Garmin and BB Maps work great, will probably stick with BB Maps because I like the price (free) and I actually like how it works. Thanks so much for posting this; I l love USCC and the Curve, but always felt something was missing because I couldn't get the GPS working. I now feel like I have the perfect phone on the best network! Thanks so much.
    damn, I only got a 3 day trial on the Garmin
    07-18-09 11:59 PM
    It's beautiful. This worked like a charm on my USCC 8330. I downloaded the free trial. Started it up and got almost instant satellite acqusition. I then deleted the Garmin Software and BB Maps continues to acquire signal and works beautifully. I am very pleased. Thanks so much for sharing this fix.
    07-19-09 08:01 AM
    The Garmin software is also available in the BlackBerry Owners Lounge, and on Garmin's website.

I went to both sites but all I see is a link to purchase the software. I don't see a "free trial" link anywhere. Am I missing something?

ETA: Here's the info...

Garmin Mobile for BlackBerry
    Take a free test drive on your GPS-enabled BlackBerry

Simply enter the following link in your BlackBerry browser: "http://getmobile.garmin.com/trial"

This 7-day free trial includes everything you need — maps, millions of POIs and easy-to-use navigation software.

Once I downloaded and installed the Garmin app, I had to run the app and let if find the satellites. Then I exited Garmin and went into BB Maps and it found satellites right off. Before the Garmin install, it would time out and never find satellites. I used Desktop Manager to remove Garmin and tried BB Maps again. It took it about 10 seconds or so to find 12 satellites.

Awesome!
    Last edited by CheesyD; 07-19-09 at 01:52 PM.
    07-19-09 01:18 PM
    I deleted my Garmin trial and BB maps still works fine. Sat. lock almost instantly, even indoors. Why doesn't USCC know this? As recently as last week, I was advised by a tech at a corporate store that GPS would likely never work on my Curve due to network limitations, they had all they could handle just accommodating E911. Is is possible USCC intentionally crippled the GPS in these phones for that reason?
    07-19-09 02:16 PM
    I downloaded GPSed, @ Download GPSed mobile application | free Mobile GPS Tracking Service
    It woked great and made it so Amaze would work. Found me 13 sats. The you don't mneed to download trial ware and GPSed isnt to bad.
    07-19-09 02:34 PM
    BBMaps works much better after downloading the Garmin App (orange.garmin.com/ctia from your Blackberry's browser),
    but Google maps still seems to be using cell towers instead of GPS. Any ideas?
    07-22-09 03:45 PM
    Project37

I like your idea, but when I downloaded the file to my bb it saved it somewhere as a zip file. Do you perchance know how to run it, find it or what I did wrong.

Thanks
    EngTeacher
    07-22-09 08:19 PM
    BBMaps works much better after downloading the Garmin App (orange.garmin.com/ctia from your Blackberry's browser),
    but Google maps still seems to be using cell towers instead of GPS. Any ideas?
    Google Maps only uses cell towers or external bluetooth GPS units. This may change in the future.
    07-23-09 07:42 AM
    Project37

I like your idea, but when I downloaded the file to my bb it saved it somewhere as a zip file. Do you perchance know how to run it, find it or what I did wrong.

Thanks
    EngTeacher
    You have to extract the file and use BB Desktop manager to install it.
    07-23-09 07:43 AM
    OK USCC customers how do you get it to download ??? I have an 8330 Curve and have tried several times and get this message: "Sorry,but the 7 day free trial of Garmin is not supported on this BlackBerry device.To purchase Garmin Mobile for your device please visit www.garmin.com."
    07-23-09 04:20 PM
    OK USCC customers how do you get it to download ??? I have an 8330 Curve and have tried several times and get this message: "Sorry,but the 7 day free trial of Garmin is not supported on this BlackBerry device.To purchase Garmin Mobile for your device please visit www.garmin.com."
    That sounds to me like it's already been installed once on your phone.

07-23-09 05:44 PM
    Google Maps only uses cell towers or external bluetooth GPS units. This may change in the future.
    Garmin got my BBmap to lock in perfect but google maps on mine is still way off from where I really am.
    07-23-09 06:44 PM
    I have not had a problem with bb map getting satellite lock until today. It worked yesterday and it would not work today. I tried for a couple hours today open sky and no joy. Just installed the garmin app, it locked on birds instantly, switched over to bb maps locked on 9 birds in 2 seconds. I am still scratching my head as to why? But am pleased it works again. Thanks for the tip!

07-23-09 07:35 PM
    Just go to google and search Garmin for BlackBerry. Should be one of the first websites, the address will be www8.garmin.com blah blah blah. And yes, it does have the number 8 after the www . Obviously the program puts in the missing pieces of the BlackBerry gps puzzle. Garmin does not require a credit card or anything like that for the now 7 day free trail. Great fix!!! GPS works in a minimum of 3 seconds now.
    07-24-09 12:51 AM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD