I need some help with this e-mail delay I am experiencing. I set up a work e-mail account on my blackberry, through BIS, that uses Microsoft Office Outlook. There is a server at our office. As opposed to my gmail account which is instant, there is a delay. The way blackberry explained it to me is that since it is an outlook account, the blackberry checks the server every 15 minutes to see if a message is there. If so, it sends it and then checks every 3 minutes for another one. If one comes, it stays on the 3 minute time frame. If not, it reverts back to checking every 15 minutes. So when an email is sent to my work address, it comes immediately to my computer and takes anywhere from 5-15 minutes to come to my phone. Is there any way to fix this or eliminate the delay? Thank you!
    11-22-11 12:37 PM
    That is normal behavior. It is not a limitation of BIS. It is a limitation of POP3.

If the email account were IMAP, not POP3, you would receive new emails almost instantly on your BlackBerry.
    11-22-11 12:45 PM
    So that would explain why my gmail, being IMAP, is instant. So everything is okay with this account I set up on my phone then? I wish something could be done but I guess that is what POP3 is...thank you!
    11-22-11 01:56 PM
    Yeah I have almost the exact same setup on my BB, and work e-mails come through every 5-15 minutes. It's better than nothing of course!
    11-22-11 02:22 PM
    Yes I agree Elvin! I was just checking to see if something was wrong with the set up or if there was anyway to make it faster. However, it seems that everything is set up right and it is the right speed since you experience the same thing. Thanks!
    11-22-11 03:19 PM
    That's just the way it is. Until RIM decides to fully support Exchange ActiveSync. Which it won't until BBX.

That's how I handle my work email too, since my office dropped BES several years ago (when the bosses switched to iPhones). Even though it's not instant, it's good enough for what I do.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-23-11 09:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD