Just wanted to tell everyone to keep you BB. I just went thru Hurricane Gustav and about to possibly go thru Hurricane IKE. The BB using Text and Email may be the only way to communicate with others and the outside world. I cannot say enough good things about Blackberry and Verizon. It worked when others would not. When voice calls fail which they do during Hurricanes, text and email may get thru. So keep you Blackberrys!!!!!!!!! I can say this because I also own a iPhone and AT&T and had real problems getting out. It may work fine in other times and places but during this Hurricane and location, Blackberry and Verizon won hands down.
    09-06-08 07:06 PM
    Glad you're able to get thru with the BB. Mine has bailed us out already during a couple of outages but nothing like the stuff your area is going thru.
    Stay safe and keep in touch.
    09-06-08 07:18 PM
    Stay safe. I'm watching out for Ike too.
    09-06-08 07:29 PM
    Just wanted to tell everyone to keep you BB. I just went thru Hurricane Gustav and about to possibly go thru Hurricane IKE. The BB using Text and Email may be the only way to communicate with others and the outside world. I cannot say enough good things about Blackberry and Verizon. It worked when others would not. When voice calls fail which they do during Hurricanes, text and email may get thru. So keep you Blackberrys!!!!!!!!! I can say this because I also own a iPhone and AT&T and had real problems getting out. It may work fine in other times and places but during this Hurricane and location, Blackberry and Verizon won hands down.
    Agreed! I used my blackberry during Katrina to communicate, I have Cellular South which uses Verizon's towers outside of MS and their towers in MS...as far as coverage Cellular South-Verizon in disaster situations are unbeatable in the south...att was down for several days afterwords! If i'm not mistaken they both use microwave technology to help with problems when landlines are down......::two thumbs up:: for both companies!
    09-06-08 07:40 PM
    Stay safe folks. We're thinking of you all.
    09-06-08 09:13 PM
    Thanks, we are without power and really watching out for IKE. I would really hate to go thru another one so close to Gustav. I can take only so much of this. The cold baths are killing me. ohhhh PU, stinky. Sweat and Beer do go together though.
    09-06-08 10:56 PM
    When voice calls fail which they do during Hurricanes, text and email may get thru.
    How does this happen? Why does one work but not the other?
    09-07-08 12:15 AM
    Could a separation at the tower between voice and data antennas and the voice at that tower could be overloaded in that area but the demand for the data services not so much and then you can use that to your advantage.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-07-08 12:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD