A couple of years ago I entered into the smartphone world with a curve 8310 and I loved it. Tragically, I crushed it under the hood of my truck and had to go with an 8700c from ebay(30 bucks) and I loved it too. Upgrade time came and I went with a Palm Pre plus and I LOVE WebOS. Tragedy again: we're being dumped with no hope in sight(yet). So I'm seriously considering coming back to my first love with the bb7 phones coming out.

I guess my question is has anyone used WebOS and does bb7 compare? Are there decent news apps? password management app? RSS feed reader? Is the browser comfortable to use on the smaller 9900 screen?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Thank You
    08-31-11 08:59 AM
    I honestly have very little time with Web OS, so can't really comment on comparing the two. However thus far a lot of apps don't work with the new os7 devices. They all will, just will take a little time.

Besides that, the browsing experience is awesome on the os7 devices. Much better than even os6. I Do recommend you going into a store and test driving them so you can make a more informed decision. I was used to a 9700 screen size, so this would have fit the bill fine.

With that said I still occasionally use my 9700, but my daily driver is a mytouch4G. It is definitely nice to have the bigger screen.

Good luck on your decision.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-31-11 03:29 PM
    never used WebOS but then again i am a retro old school guy and RIM has the most similar-to-my-Nokia 5185i that i have used and i like simple and old-looking smartphone or feature phone OSs. i am not too big on apps or eye candy. if it does Facebook, web, banking online, Youtube and Pandora i am usually happy
    08-31-11 07:24 PM
    never used WebOS but then again i am a retro old school guy and RIM has the most similar-to-my-Nokia 5185i that i have used and i like simple and old-looking smartphone or feature phone OSs. i am not too big on apps or eye candy. if it does Facebook, web, banking online, Youtube and Pandora i am usually happy
    Just about any smartphone, including blackberry, does just that and more You'll love it once you try the new ones out. I haven't had any experience on WebOS, maybe testing out a device, but that was only for a few minutes in a store.

08-31-11 07:29 PM
    For password management, there is a BB app for Keepass. It works great on BB and can be exported to other Keepass clients for cross-platform use. Highly recommended.

The OS7 Social Feeds app should address all your RSS/news/podcast/social feed needs in one place. It rocks!

From the types of questions you've been asking, I would bet that you'll be very happy with a 9900 or a 9810.
    09-01-11 09:28 AM
    Yep OS 7 is cooler and better than WebOS. Oh yeah! Welcome back! (Still go to the store) THATS AN ORDER . Cmon the faster the better

09-01-11 10:28 AM
    in what way is os7 better and cooler than webOS?
    09-01-11 04:29 PM
    If you guys want something like WebOS. I'd say wait for QNX.
    09-01-11 04:48 PM
    in what way is os7 better and cooler than webOS?
    because you can actually buy a handset running BB7 lol.

to answer the actual question though, BB7 (and BB6) have the social feeds app, so you can get all your RSS feeds sorted in that. also while there are 3rd party password apps, theres also the password keeper app that comes on the phone which i find useful too. and yes the browser is comfortable, and you do of course have the use of a trackpad for the finer selections.

my honest advice would be set yourself some time aside and visit a store, get some hands on time and see how you find it. then if your carrier has a return policy if you think all is good then try it out. your of course the best judge of what is right for you.
    09-01-11 05:05 PM
    I used webOS for about a year and just returned to BlackBerry approximately two months ago. Coming back was like a breath of fresh air.

In the two months, I've used a Storm 9530 (with OS5) and a Bold 9650 (with OS5 and 6). My current setup is the Bold with OS5. It's SO refreshing to use a phone that's snappy and responsive. My Pre Plus was an absolute dog. Even overclocked, it was sluggish and the hardware was a joke. It's a shame, because webOS is a sophisticated operating system with real potential.

Sure, a Bold with OS5 on it is not as pretty or elegant as the interface you get with a Pre Plus, but it works. It's fast. It's rarely sluggish. The hardware is miles ahead. The camera is way better. I don't care too much about how prettified the OS interface is, which is why I'm not fretting about casting the Pre Plus aside for the 9650 with what some perceive to be an antiquated operating system running on it. In my book, the 9650 has been able to do everything my Pre Plus could do, and do it faster and more efficiently.

I tried the 9650 with OS6 (which, quite frankly, isn't all that far off from OS7) and it didn't run nearly as well as it does with OS5. I believe BB devices are designed and optimized for the existing OS's available when they're launched, which explains why 5 runs better on the Bold than 6. Your mileage may vary, however.
    squished18 likes this.
    09-02-11 06:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD