I am convinced that Waterloo is completely out of sync with brand reality of BlackBerry...I thought the shock of this quarter would be enough...But no its not... They are determined to run this company to ground....

Posted via CB10
    10-04-13 09:47 AM
    Yep

Posted via CB10
    10-04-13 09:47 AM
    +1
    You would think that sitting on that big pile of money (though not so big anymore) they could afford to cut their margins or even lose a little while the new OS and new devices gain traction, but yeah, they seem to be pretty determined to burn the house.
    divakar, IqWaN, Spencerdl and 3 others like this.
    10-04-13 09:50 AM
    It's bell for god sakes, wait to see if every carrier comes out at that price. Remember Z10 came out high by bell but kodoo had less off contract.

Posted via CB10
    divakar likes this.
    10-04-13 09:52 AM
    No, the price is right for the market, people will buy at this price to get their BlackBerry. BlackBerry doesn't care about the consumer that is looking for a cheap phone or keeps ******** about pricing because their target market is people that want a BlackBerry and will pay. They cut costs down on the company to make the costs match sales and turn a profit. Thats the business going forward .
    Compair specs on like priced phones and tell me it's too expensive, not that it matters because BlackBerry isn't trying to sell to iPhone and Android market anymore.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-13 09:59 AM
    No, the price is right for the market, people will buy at this price to get their BlackBerry. BlackBerry doesn't care about the consumer that is looking for a cheap phone or keeps ******** about pricing because their target market is people that want a BlackBerry and will pay. They cut costs down on the company to make the costs match sales and turn a profit. Thats the business going forward .
    Compair specs on like priced phones and tell me it's too expensive, not that it matters because BlackBerry isn't trying to sell to iPhone and Android market anymore.

Posted via CB10
    And it's been working quite well for them lately.
    10-04-13 10:06 AM
    Yup the pricing so disappointed...

Posted via CB10
    10-04-13 10:08 AM
    These guys are fools...they are going to destroy what is left of this company...

There is no way they can compete at a price of $700. Unnecessary greed which will leave them with stockpiles for no reason. They should sell this phone for $400!!
    kbz1960, Sparro, croman and 5 others like this.

Posted via CB10
    Because that's worked out for them so well the past couple of quarters?
    kbz1960, shaleem, Etios and 7 others like this.

Posted via CB10
    My wife just got the LG G2 for $600 from T-Mobile. It beats the Z30 in every spec category. Thinner, lighter, larger/better screen, bigger battery and better camera. I know you said you don't care about Android, but you asked about similarly spec'd phones.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using CB Forums mobile app

Posted via CB10
    sounds like you should join the marketing team for BB. same logic. did they mass produced 10k z30? cause that's how many they will probably sell at that price.
    10-04-13 10:09 AM

Posted via CB10
    (***Please note - post is written in Comic Sans. The font of satire/ sarcasm***)

You couldn't be more right. This is the price for people who really want and can afford a top end Blackberry. By my estimate about 200,000 folks worldwide. Given the cost to develop the device this should only lose Blackberry $100-200M. But so what? They'll take a write down.

Just because a device is solidly mid-tier, does not mean BB can't charge top tier+ prices. I mean this is BB - we have security that no one else doesthe best e-mail experience , more of the most requested applications....enterprise? Well, BB has something. And it doesn't matter if people buy their devices. BB makes devices for other people. Or something like that. This strategy has been a clear winner from the start. If they just stick with it a little longer, everything will turn out just.....just..... Well everything will just turn out.
    10-04-13 10:11 AM
    Their latest devices have proven without a shadow of doubt that BlackBerry is completely clueless. Or maybe it just proves that they think that their fans are ignorant.

My LG G2 cost $600 off contract and it simply beats the Z30 in every single category that matters to anyone that isn't a BlackBerry fanboy. You'd have to be a sucker to buy a Z30 when much better devices are avaliable and cheaper than it.

At this point, I honestly think that the majority of people who end up buying a Z30 will be those fans out there who have already bought a Z10, Q10 or Q5 (some fans have bought all 3) and simply want to buy a Z30 to make another charitable donation to a dying company. The market of people like that can't be all that big.

Normal consumers will see the Z30 for what it really is, a over-priced, underspecced smartphone with very little going for it, from a company with a very uncertain future. A person would have to be emotionally or finacially invested in the survival of BlackBerry to justify making such a bad purchase.

Its a shame, if they had priced it at around $400 off contract straight for the get go it might have been interesting. I would have bought one for $400 off contract, but at $700 it is just bad joke.
    10-04-13 10:12 AM
    My wife just got the LG G2 for $600 from T-Mobile. It beats the Z30 in every spec category. Thinner, lighter, larger/better screen, bigger battery and better camera. I know you said you don't care about Android, but you asked about similarly spec'd phones.

Yep, but then you gotta own an LG phone....which wont be updated, and has truly hideous UI. I mean LG UI makes Touch Wiz look sexy....and touch wiz is not attractive...

Posted via CB10
    10-04-13 10:13 AM
    Maybe this is why Rogers passed on the Z30.
    10-04-13 10:15 AM

Lol you beat me to it
    10-04-13 10:17 AM
    Don't worry, buy this $700.00 phone now and we promise to deliver a greater lack of apps when we announce 10.3 is comming soon.
    Last edited by Cynycl; 10-04-13 at 11:46 AM.
    10-04-13 10:20 AM
    Yep, but then you gotta own an LG phone....which wont be updated, and has truly hideous UI. I mean LG UI makes Touch Wiz look sexy....and touch wiz is not attractive...

Posted via CB10
    That is why you wait for the next Nexus. If the rumours hold true, the next Nexus will be based on the G2 just like the Nexus 4 was based on the Optimus G.

Rumours are also saying the pricing will be the same. If that holds true, you could buy 2 of the new Nexus smartphones off contract for less money than 1 Z30 off contract.
    10-04-13 10:21 AM
    I don't think BlackBerry is even excited about the Z30 chances at this point, they are just going through the motions at this point.

They know that there are a 100K -200K loyal fanatics that have already bought the Z10 and the Q10 and that they will also buy the Z30. So they might as well make as much as possible off of these loyalist. Pretty much the price doesn't matter, they could sell them at cost and it might only mean another 50K sells.
    10-04-13 10:21 AM
    If zee3po is right, I might add that they're overlooking the fact that users might consider getting the phone, but only if they feel the price is right. BlackBerry clearly think that's the right price, but will users think the same? I predict they won't. The only reason I got my Z10 is because I got a great deal on it (€300 instead of the ridiculous €550 it went for SIM-free in February) - because when it came out I was thinking it was NOT good value, given the mid-range specs, buggy OS and lack of important apps for me.

As a long-time BlackBerry user, I can say I was considering getting the Z30 because I thought they would have learnt something from the Z10 fiasco, which was IMO directly related to overpricing. But CAD$700 is just too high in my opinion so I won't be getting it.
    Last edited by lmsilvam; 10-04-13 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Not USD, CAD!! But my opinion hasn't changed...
    10-04-13 10:24 AM
    It makes me think that they are trying to keep the value down for the takeover. I'm not much of a conspiracy guy but the ineptitude and incompetence is so overwhelming that it's hard to believe that there is not an ulterior motive?

Posted via CB10
    SFWriter and xiaohuaxing like this.

Posted via CB10
    Oh that is so true. The "prosumer" or enterprise market wants to pay more for a phone lacking the business apps that they rely on.

Posted via CB10

That is a sweet phone, the battery life is bananas and the screen is gorgeous.
    10-04-13 10:26 AM
    I am convinced that Waterloo is completely out of sync with brand reality of BlackBerry...I thought the shock of this quarter would be enough...But no its not... They are determined to run this company to ground....

Posted via CB10
    You guys all make it sound like the price points are some arbitrarily priced values. "oh the competitors have a cheaper phone blah blah".

Fact of the matter is that when this phone was conceived (2 years ago?), it was meant to be high spec'd for all those who complained about BBs not being 'powerful' enough.

So they go out and release a phone with competitive specs. That costs money. I'm sure they're taking a hit on margins already, but goodness me prices aren't some magical value that they come up with out of thin air
    10-04-13 10:27 AM

Posted via CB10
    Totally disagree, the new LG UI is pretty tame and nowhere near TouchWiz. But if you really dislike it, you can always use a different launcher like Nova, Apex or Action Launcher.
    anon(4044683), JR A, Saiga and 2 others like this.
    10-04-13 10:28 AM
346 123 ...