I notice a lot if people posting that Blackberry should release an Android device. Why don't they just release a device that can boot up in Android and boot up in BB10? They could have something similar to bootcamp on Mac computers. It would offer the best of both worlds.
    06-08-15 11:16 AM
    This old silly discussion again?
    06-08-15 11:19 AM
    Close thread

Posted via CB10
    06-08-15 11:42 AM
    The main reason is that it simply wouldn't solve the problem that you're wanting to solve, which is Apps.

In order to get the app support that most people want, you need Google Play Services (not just the Play Store, but the services that make things work). You can only get Google Play Services on a Google-certified Android device, and dual-boot devices cannot be certified. But even if they could, BB would have to join the Open Handset Alliance (a requirement of getting access to Google Play Services), and OHA membership requires that the member does not use non-Google-certified Android, so, the Android Runtime would have to be removed from BB10 (on all phones), and that would kill about half of the apps in BB World, as they are converted Android apps.

And even if that were not true, there are practical issues, such as, very, very few people would want to reboot their phone all the time to switch modes, and it would require BB to develop for and support 2 OSs, when they can currently barely handle one.
    06-08-15 01:29 PM
    Install an android loader and your pretty much there anyway.

Posted to CB via my Passport | FileArchiveHaven
    06-08-15 01:34 PM
    Oh goodness. This again.

Just go to your Android phone already

Posted via CB10
    rthonpm likes this.
    06-09-15 12:29 PM
    The main reason is that it simply wouldn't solve the problem that you're wanting to solve, which is Apps.

In order to get the app support that most people want, you need Google Play Services (not just the Play Store, but the services that make things work). You can only get Google Play Services on a Google-certified Android device, and dual-boot devices cannot be certified. But even if they could, BB would have to join the Open Handset Alliance (a requirement of getting access to Google Play Services), and OHA membership requires that the member does not use non-Google-certified Android, so, the Android Runtime would have to be removed from BB10 (on all phones), and that would kill about half of the apps in BB World, as they are converted Android apps.

And even if that were not true, there are practical issues, such as, very, very few people would want to reboot their phone all the time to switch modes, and it would require BB to develop for and support 2 OSs, when they can currently barely handle one.
    Getting access to Google play services does not require OHA membership just ask Apple. BlackBerry could cut a deal with Google just I don't think they want to sell their soul to the devil so to speak lol

Loving my Passport!
    abwan11 likes this.
    06-09-15 01:17 PM
    Getting access to Google play services does not require OHA membership just ask Apple. BlackBerry could cut a deal with Google just I don't think they want to sell their soul to the devil so to speak lol
    Loving my Passport!
    There's Google Play Services on Apple IOS? You may talking about Google apps in IOS but I haven't heard of Google Play Services APIs available in IOS. Those are different things. Could you clarify your post?

Posted via CB10
    06-09-15 01:40 PM

Loving my Passport!
    Apple does not have Google Play Services.

Google has however coded many iOS apps for Apple that have similar features.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.798
    06-09-15 01:44 PM
    Didn't bbry buy a company within the last year that would allow them to do a dual boot kinda thing, with both os running at the same time? Can't remember what they were calling it, but makes sense with the octacore rumors that the glide is rumored to have. Was it the same company that would allow 2 seperate Sims as well?

Posted via CB10
    06-09-15 02:01 PM
    Didn't bbry buy a company within the last year that would allow them to do a dual boot kinda thing, with both os running at the same time? Can't remember what they were calling it, but makes sense with the octacore rumors that the glide is rumored to have. Add Secusmart with the dual sim thing and it makes more sense.

Posted via CB10
    The point is even of they could technically, it's not permitted. It's that simple.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.798
    06-09-15 02:04 PM

By now Troy probably has this OHA explanation paragraph saved as an automatic keyword substitution...

Posted via CB10
    06-09-15 02:05 PM
    Even with 2 Sims or virtual Sims in the phone?

I don't know, just curious that they may have found a loophole.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-15 02:05 PM

Just go to your Android phone already

Posted via CB10
    It was kinda cute saying that back in 2010, but it is just sad now. In my opinion, the last thing BlackBerry needs is even more people switching to Android.
    06-09-15 02:13 PM
    There's Google Play Services on Apple IOS? You may talking about Google apps in IOS but I haven't heard of Google Play Services APIs available in IOS. Those are different things. Could you clarify your post?

Posted via CB10
    What I meant was getting access to google specific apps, like maps etc coded over to BB10 naively is possible if BlackBerry would cut a deal with Google same way that Apple has done in the past. Google was an early partner with Apple when IOS launched. Sorry for confusion.

Loving my Passport!
    06-09-15 02:46 PM
    What I meant was getting access to google specific apps, like maps etc coded over to BB10 naively is possible if BlackBerry would cut a deal with Google same way that Apple has done in the past. Google was an early partner with Apple when IOS launched. Sorry for confusion.
    Google is never going to break their OHA rules to let BB or any other company have access to Google Play Services - it would undermine the entire OHA, which is what allows Google to maintain control over Android and make a ton of money from it. Anyone thinking that's even a remote possibility is delusional.

Yes, Google themselves could write native BB10 apps that bring many Google apps (Maps, G+, Google Music, etc. etc.) to BB10, just as they did for iOS, but they aren't going to do that either. As they've stated publicly several times, other platforms don't have enough marketshare or value to Google to make it worth developing and maintaining these apps - that's why Windows Phone doesn't have them either, despite nearly 10 times the marketshare of BB10 - it's still not enough.

Google wrote iOS apps when iOS owned over 50% of the smartphone market worldwide (they still own nearly 50% of the high-value US market, and a big percentage of the upper end of the market elsewhere), so it made sense to capture that market. BB10's 0.1% marketshare isn't exactly a huge motivation to Google to spend that money to develop for - neither is WinPhone's 3%, much less Tizen, Ubuntu, Sailfish, Firefox, etc. I'm sure they'd all love to have Google apps on their platforms too, but as none of them have the marketshare, they'll have to make do with the web version of those apps.

Still, do not confuse Google Play Services (which is exclusively Android) with Google-developed Google apps for iOS - they aren't the same thing at all.
    rthonpm likes this.
    06-09-15 06:19 PM
    With 50% market share of the infotainment systems, Google may have to reconsider.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-15 09:05 PM

Loving my Passport!
    Google needed to be in IOS because of the marketshare. Apple didn't cut any deals with Google. Just like Apple didn't cut any deals with BlackBerry to have BBM on IOS.

Having Google Specific Apps still doesn't help with the app gap. Having Google Maps (app) doesn't mean the apks that need the Google Map service will run. Or having Google Play (app) doesn't also necessarily mean all apks that need the Google Play Services will run. So the app gap will still not be solved even if Google writes their app natively for BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-15 09:16 PM
    It was kinda cute saying that back in 2010, but it is just sad now. In my opinion, the last thing BlackBerry needs is even more people switching to Android.
    That's where you and I differ.

These threads are just being posted over and over again and it's getting really tiring.

We all use BlackBerry for our own reasons. And obviously these people who post these threads want Android.

Posted via CB10
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    06-10-15 04:47 AM
    With 50% market share of the infotainment systems, Google may have to reconsider.

Posted via CB10
    QNX in the auto industry has very little to do with BlackBerry handsets. Besides there are already API's available that allow deep integration between Android handsets and QNX infotainment systems.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-15 05:19 AM
    QNX in the auto industry has very little to do with BlackBerry handsets. Besides there are already API's available that allow deep integration between Android handsets and QNX infotainment systems.

Posted via CB10
    Mp3 players also had very little to do with handsets. Look what that evolved into.
    One thing is for certain, know one here has any insight into the future of things, we're all just spectators.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-15 10:35 AM

Ok so how is it that samsung can run both android and tizen.

Send from the amazing powers of the  Z30
    06-13-15 11:32 AM
    Ok so how is it that samsung can run both android and tizen.

Send from the amazing powers of the  Z30
    Tizen doesn't come with native android compatibility the USER has to download a framework to allow that, as long as Samsung isn't officially promoting that its fine with Google. I suppose it would be similar if the runtime got spin off into an open source project and BB wasn't involved but we know that isn't going to happen.
    06-13-15 03:14 PM
    Tizen doesn't come with native android compatibility the USER has to download a framework to allow that, as long as Samsung isn't officially promoting that its fine with Google. I suppose it would be similar if the runtime got spin off into an open source project and BB wasn't involved but we know that isn't going to happen.
    So if they "outsourced" the Android runtime and made it a "downloadable add-on", all would be hunky-dory...?

:-D

�   Pastaporto aglio e olio... Mmmhhh!   �
    06-13-15 04:49 PM
    So if they "outsourced" the Android runtime and made it a "downloadable add-on", all would be hunky-dory...?

:-D

•   Pastaporto aglio e olio... Mmmhhh!   •
    Yes, I don't know how that would work technically because it wouldn't be a bar file and I don't think you can load non-BB files thru Sachesi. Or BB could make BB10 compatible with the ACL project where Tizen, WebOS, Firefox users get Android app ability.
    06-13-15 05:05 PM