Hi all

About to receive my phone in the next couple of days and first jump into the world of Android (more like pushed) as unfortunately my Passport is slowly dying and can't see BB10 surviving long term.

DTEK is new to me however I have Bit-defender antivirus for my computers and have the option to add to Android phone. Would it hinder DTEK performing properly or benifit overall.

Thanks in advance
    11-06-16 12:04 PM
    The best antivirus is common sense, but that's in short supply. Being judicious w/r/t third party apps and apps from unknown sources is good, as well as using a browser with ad-blocking capabilities.
    TgeekB and IndianTiwari like this.
    11-06-16 12:07 PM
    I'm not a believer in anti-virus for a phone - they just hog resources. Just be sensible.
    11-06-16 12:07 PM
    Thanks guys

I've always been sensible in the past and only have a few apps on BB10, even switch off location as and when I use maps.I will therefore tread with extra caution with Android and refrain from downloading the antivirus software.

Shame about Blackberry OS but hopefully the DTEK60 will come somewhat near to the excellent experience of BB10 I've had in the past.
    11-06-16 01:16 PM
    Be aware of ransomware for phones when opening emails, etc...
    :-D

�   "BB10 dead?" - "Let's dance the Danse MacaBBRY! ... or is it..?" ;-D   �
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    11-06-16 02:51 PM
    Is there an app for common sense?
    tommytheb likes this.
    11-06-16 03:42 PM
    Its a minefield out there
    11-06-16 04:01 PM
    Oh, yeah, make sure you have 2FA set up as well. Depends on the service, but better than just a password.
    11-06-16 06:26 PM
    Oh, yeah, make sure you have 2FA set up as well. Depends on the service, but better than just a password.
    Thanks thurask

PS whats 2FA
    11-07-16 03:36 AM
    Thanks thurask

PS whats 2FA
    2 factor authentication
    11-07-16 03:37 AM
    2 factor authentication
    Yes just did a google search and interesting technology
    11-07-16 09:08 AM
    Even the best (mobile/computer) anti-virus won't actually protect you from opening a harmful file. Maybe they'll realize the problem a few hours/days later.

With Android, you have to put absolute trust in Google (because you gotta trust the base OS maker), and then all other apps you install have to be from trusted sources. Further, you should also take away permissions that apps shouldn't have.
    11-07-16 11:22 AM
    Even the best (mobile/computer) anti-virus won't actually protect you from opening a harmful file.
    Er, you should qualify that statement. Yeah if it doesn't either know about it (have signatures for it) or can't predict (heuristics) what it will do. Otherwise, antivirus has been doing this for decades.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-16 11:49 AM
    Even the best (mobile/computer) anti-virus won't actually protect you from opening a harmful file. Maybe they'll realize the problem a few hours/days later.

With Android, you have to put absolute trust in Google (because you gotta trust the base OS maker), and then all other apps you install have to be from trusted sources. Further, you should also take away permissions that apps shouldn't have.
    Yes always found that strange that certain apps wanted to ask for permission for this and permission for that when it didn't seem relevant to what the app was being used for and being super suspicious I always denied them anyway.

Guess they'll always be trying to keep on step ahead of the consumer.
    11-07-16 03:01 PM
    Er, you should qualify that statement. Yeah if it doesn't either know about it (have signatures for it) or can't predict (heuristics) what it will do. Otherwise, antivirus has been doing this for decades.

Posted via CB10
    I won't get in a debate on this but you can look up a few articles on their detection percentage. My personal experience has been that they always detect problems once they've already become a problem. They don't prevent them from occurring in the first place.
    11-08-16 10:52 AM
    2 factor authentication
    Thanks .
    11-08-16 02:51 PM
    The question is whether the apps will work if you deny the permissions, the apps from Amazon do not on my z30, if you deny them. If you can use the apps on the DTEK without having to give permission, I will buy one. If not, I expect a long life from my z30s.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-16 03:19 PM