I'm not too concerned with the device name given to any phone I own but came across a webpage for a company also using the name and it appears they were founded in early 2001? Could this kind of thing be ab le to come back and bite BlackBerry in the rear? The webpage I am referring to is dtekcustoms.com they specialize in computer thermal systems. Have they been in contact with BlackBerry over the name?

Via the Classy Classic
    08-11-16 06:01 AM
    Apparently it's the name of the largest privately owned vertically integrated energy company in Ukraine as well.

Via the Classy Classic
    08-11-16 06:05 AM
    It's a horrible name for a phone, very '90s. Don't see the benefit Over the Z## naming. Better than Priv, but still dumb
    08-12-16 07:11 PM
    It's a horrible name for a phone, very '90s. Don't see the benefit Over the Z## naming. Better than Priv, but still dumb
    Lol anything would have been better than the perv from BlackBerry

Posted via G5 with hub+
    08-13-16 10:05 AM
    Should of called it blanch, or soda or 7 they are cool names.

Posted via CB10
    donnation likes this.
    08-13-16 10:30 AM
    Richard-Tek, or Pri.....v-Tek?

I'm not sure about the Privert (or bunch of them?) who's picking the names... ;-P

I'm sure there's not a lot of names left in the "-tek/-tech-/-teq-/anything" namespace... :-(

It's hard to find another name that doesn't already have an legal/legit occupier, resident, squatter, or trademark troll sitting on it, I guess.

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    08-14-16 04:18 PM
    The new GOOD�PHONE by Blackberry, since they bought good recently. Lol it's good. But not great. I'm sure it would live up to the name at least

Posted via G5 with hub+
    donnation likes this.
    08-22-16 09:01 AM

Posted via CB10
    Haha, the Widow Mantle would be proud.
    08-22-16 09:07 AM
    Actually its real name is Idol 4
    08-22-16 09:27 AM
    My main issue with "DTek" is that it's already the name of their Android security software (without the "50", of course), installed on all BB Android phones, not just the DTek50. I think that creates confusion. But I have no idea what they should have named it. Naming devices is walking a tightrope. You want the name to be connected with an image of some sort (not necessarily visual), but you also have to avoid existing trademarks.

I don't personally think the Z/Q-number scheme was good either. Those brief alphanumeric names only work if you have a strong enough brand image that the public keeps track of them. BlackBerry is long past that. "Bold", "Curve" and "Pearl" worked well enough back in the day. People knew what they were. They need something that hints at the security add-on to Android that they're trying to sell...

BlackBerry Deadbolt?
    08-22-16 10:56 AM
    The gaseous elemental codenames were frickin' amazing, I thought.

They might have just gone ahead and moved them into production. I think Argon, Neon, Mercury, Krypton (...?!?), .... would have been great.

And no fussing with trademarks and stuff, as these words can't be occupied, I believe... :-)

Einsteinium, Mendelevium, Kurtshatovium, ... probably not so much... ;-)

�   "Chenterprise. We are the future. Resistance is futile. Prepare to BBe... "   �
    08-23-16 12:52 AM

Posted via CB10
    Lol I get it nice!

Posted via CB10
    08-23-16 08:14 AM