Title says it all, picked up my phone while eating and lost my grip, fell face first into some ketchup. It didn't get the keyboard but got the screen/front speaker. I was able to get the screen surroundings cleaned up but now I'm noticing that my earpiece speaker volume is muffled. I've tried compressed air and wiping it off to no avail . Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
    07-28-11 06:32 PM
    Hmm, if wiping or compressed air isn't doing the job you might want to try taking the battery out of your phone and using a cotton swab dipped in isopropyl alcohol to dab at the speaker and try to remove anything there? Make sure you leave the phone without it's battery for 30 mins or so afterward to make sure the alcohol has evaporated.

This might fix the sauce of your problem.

My apologies for the awful pun, I just couldn't resist.
    07-28-11 07:08 PM
    Title says it all, picked up my phone while eating and lost my grip, fell face first into some ketchup. It didn't get the keyboard but got the screen/front speaker. I was able to get the screen surroundings cleaned up but now I'm noticing that my earpiece speaker volume is muffled. I've tried compressed air and wiping it off to no avail . Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
    Round wooden toothpick?

I suggest taking it apart via youtube instructions...clean out the ketchup from the speaker holes put it back together - it will void your warranty if you break the seals on the internal screws but I doubt you will have to go that far to get the ketchup out...

compressed air would only push the ketchup in deeper, you have to push from the inside. I wouldn't mess with isopropyl alcohol either - its like your ears - cotton swabs only push the wax deeper in...
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 07-28-11 at 07:47 PM.
    07-28-11 07:44 PM
    Man, I can swear by the Isopropyl Alcohol. It worked wonders for me when I got mine wet.

Just be sure that you know how to take your BB apart and put it back without having "extra parts".
    Good Luck
    07-28-11 07:50 PM
    Man, I can swear by the Isopropyl Alcohol. It worked wonders for me when I got mine wet.

Just be sure that you know how to take your BB apart and put it back without having "extra parts".
    Good Luck
    Yes just not sure about the reaction with ketchup...just water is another thing...plus I think it needs to be taken apart to get to the ketchup properly, it likely wont just evaporate...ketchup crud could remain inside...helping oxidation possibly?
    07-28-11 08:22 PM

Thanks
    Was it Carl's Jr. by any chance?
    rollingrock1988 likes this.
    07-28-11 08:25 PM
    Blackberry's - for they are crunchy and go well with Ketchup.

Think you may have voided the warranty already; I think blackjack's idea is the way to go - take it apart, blow through the casing from the inside to clear the openings, then carefully use a wooden toothpick because they soak up some of the thinner fluid. Don't use compressed air around the internals though, too hard and you'll just drive it in more. Also try rolling the edge of a paper towel so that it looks like a toothpick, flatten it and get in the crannies.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-28-11 09:14 PM
    let it dry, then peel it off.

do a complete tear down to clean the innards after
    07-28-11 09:21 PM
    You can use a vaccum cleaner to get most of it out. Then use a compressed air to free up the rest of it and vaccum again.
    07-28-11 09:25 PM
    Wait. If its the 9650, you can pry off the top without voiding warranty.

I don't think the other bolds (97xx) or Curve 8900 or tour are so different.

07-28-11 09:39 PM
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I wiped the metal piece down with alcohol and let it dry then poked out the holes (gently and carefully of course) with a needle. Volume seems to be back to normal.

Since I'm going on year 2 with this phone, I may tear it down and clean it up correctly sometime (haven't done a tear down since my 8310 haha).

Thanks again.
    07-28-11 09:39 PM
    berry with ketchup on it.new treat for you to devour lol.
    07-28-11 10:18 PM
    He was eating a blackberry sammich lol.

07-28-11 10:41 PM
    Also do yourself a favor,with your next bb purchase buy an otterbox case for it.

damule6666 and iphoneuser2017 like this.
    07-28-11 10:44 PM
    Also do yourself a favor,with your next bb purchase buy an otterbox case for it.

Took the recommendation outta my mouth! lol

07-29-11 05:27 AM
    You can use a vaccum cleaner to get most of it out. Then use a compressed air to free up the rest of it and vaccum again.
    YES!!!! That's what I used to get all of the water out of mine without taking it apart, since I don't have the tools nor do I know how to do it. Lets just say it got sucked dry. Over a few hours to do so. Nearly killed the vacuum, it tripped twice due to overheating XD

07-29-11 05:31 AM
    Alcohol is good for cleaning the phone, BUT you want to get denatured pure alcohol from your local hardware store or home store. The higher the percent the better!

K Bear and rrrebo like this.
    07-29-11 07:51 AM
    Alcohol is good for cleaning the phone, BUT you want to get denatured pure alcohol from your local hardware store or home store. The higher the percent the better!

When working with electronics, you need to make sure you are using 99% isopropyl alcohol, or denatured alcohol, NOT 70% rubbing alcohol, which contains water.

See also: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...lcohol-174574/
    pkcable likes this.
    07-29-11 09:23 AM
    This might fix the sauce of your problem.

My apologies for the awful pun, I just couldn't resist.

This was perfect.
    07-29-11 09:48 AM
    When working with electronics, you need to make sure you are using 99% isopropyl alcohol, or denatured alcohol, NOT 70% rubbing alcohol, which contains water.

See also: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...lcohol-174574/
    DAMN how did you dig up that old gem? Denatured alcohol is the drinking kind (think everclear) that has been made unfit for drinking. It is used for cleaning, in particular paint and electronics. It's desired because it evaporates quickly.
    07-29-11 10:06 AM
    DAMN how did you dig up that old gem? Denatured alcohol is the drinking kind (think everclear) that has been made unfit for drinking. It is used for cleaning, in particular paint and electronics. It's desired because it evaporates quickly.
    My Google-Fu is strong. *flex*
    07-29-11 10:13 AM
    before you tear your phone apart, i would try the cleaning putty. Radio shack or The source carries it. it looks like slime but holds together very well. just press it into the speaker and pull it off. i've used it on my BB keyboard and it pulled lots of junk from under the keys. Worth a shot before dismantling a phone.
    07-29-11 10:54 AM
    that green goo actually works?!?!??

it's like $5 in canada, eh? maybe worthwhile investment. thanks!
    07-29-11 11:07 AM
    Ttiuwp!!!!
    07-29-11 11:19 AM
    I would like to know what happened. Was there a bowl of ketchup and you droped in that? Or, were you eating somthing with ketchup and droped it into your food?

Not really relevant to your problem but I'm interested.
    07-30-11 12:02 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD