And the Droid boots up in like 30-40 seconds.
    Well there is a pretty nice plus, I can get to that high score in tetris sooner, for those time I am forced to turn off my phone. But trying to think when was the last time I actually turned my phone off. This might not count, I dropped it a while back and the back came off and the battery popped out.

Ok I'm sold gimme a Droid.
    11-09-09 03:30 PM
    Yeah? And about the time there's a BlackBerry that has something to offer that takes advantage of all (or any) of that, it'll be time to upgrade phones again anyway. So in the meantime, it's a matter of what is the best available TODAY?

I'm going to a VZW store after work today to play with a Droid....
    I went and looked @ one yesterday --- i think i p00ped a little . and talked to them about plan pricing.... same price @ my t-mo with the same amount of minuets ...
    11-09-09 03:35 PM
    Get somebody to email you an MP3 file to check out. Receive it and listen to it on your BB. If it's over 3 MB, you won't be able to.

Pisses me off all the time 'cause the guys in my band frequently send me MP3s to new songs they want us to learn and most of the time I can't do anything with 'em on my BB and have to wait until I'm at a real computer.

Of course, same problem if somebody sends you a PDF over 3 MB that you want to view. Or any other attachment over 3MB.
    Well that of course is a memory limit which would be reached by any smartphone with less than 3 gigs of onboard memory. (Bad bear pay attention MB not GIG... Whack whack)

My question would be, what Smartphone out there today, would allow you to view or play the files of 3 gig or more, if you have say 3 gig of memory and 2 gigs of that memory is already used up with files and docs you must have, and you have yet to put an SD card into said device?

Edit: Sometimes when reading and replying, my brain does not fully engage. Beat me now for I know I will goof up again sometime in the future.
    Last edited by BlkBear; 11-09-09 at 04:20 PM.
    11-09-09 03:41 PM
    Where do you get "3 gigs" out of "3 MB" ??

I have hundreds of MP3s on my BB. Most of them are in the 3 - 7 MB range. Too big for somebody to email to me, but plenty of room to have them and play them.
    11-09-09 03:54 PM

I have hundreds of MP3s on my BB. Most of them are in the 3 - 7 MB range. Too big for somebody to email to me, but plenty of room to have them and play them.
    Last edited by mjneid; 11-09-09 at 04:05 PM.
    11-09-09 04:01 PM

Eppps I guess I did mix up those two. Beat me for I am goofy and can't read.
    11-09-09 04:07 PM
    Eppps I guess I did mix up those two. Beat me for I am goofy and can't read.
    man enough to admit it is a "get out of jail free card" in my book.
    11-09-09 04:10 PM
    man enough to admit it is a "get out of jail free card" in my book.
    Can I have two? I can still taste toenails... and they're not so bad... *crunch munch*
    11-09-09 04:13 PM
    I hate you! You made me choke on my coffee!!!

Laughing, coughing and choking is NOT a pretty sound...
    11-09-09 04:15 PM
    The HTC Touch Diamond and the HTC Dual Touch I owned both of those ..... im just saying
    But alas I do not, just want them all do do it!! And I have two lungs full of coffee thanks to you... I'll send you the ER bill if I can't cough it all out!
    11-09-09 04:18 PM
    But alas I do not, just want them all do do it!! And I have two lungs full of coffee thanks to you... I'll send you the ER bill if I can't cough it all out!
    ha ha

send it to 1313 mocking bird lane Att: Eddie Munster....
    11-09-09 04:19 PM
    ha ha

send it to 1313 mocking bird lane Att: Eddie Munster....
    Even I know Eddie is a Werewolf, you my friend are a grumpy, bridge lingering post reading, get out of jail card giving, buffed out Uber Troll *sniff sniff*, Do trolls wear Axe body spray?

Now I'm going to have to go play with a Droid. I hope you are all happy now.
    11-09-09 04:30 PM
    Well there is a pretty nice plus, I can get to that high score in tetris sooner, for those time I am forced to turn off my phone. But trying to think when was the last time I actually turned my phone off..
    How about the daily battery pull/quickpull?
    11-09-09 05:54 PM
    How about the daily battery pull/quickpull?
    What daily battery pull? I think I missed that memo?
    11-09-09 08:57 PM
    Try it. If you dont like it, go back to your blackberry.
    11-09-09 09:46 PM
    Get somebody to email you an MP3 file to check out. Receive it and listen to it on your BB. If it's over 3 MB, you won't be able to.

Pisses me off all the time 'cause the guys in my band frequently send me MP3s to new songs they want us to learn and most of the time I can't do anything with 'em on my BB and have to wait until I'm at a real computer.

Of course, same problem if somebody sends you a PDF over 3 MB that you want to view. Or any other attachment over 3MB.
    I tried a test from my ISP, can't send an attachment over 2 MB from my ISp's mail server... dang the limit used to be bigger. Next Gmail or Hotmail for the test.
    11-10-09 01:10 AM
    A large email does NOT require an attachment to reach the email truncation threshhold. I receive the NY Times daily headlines via email. That message is routinely truncated on the blackberry and must be read on the browser via a link in the message. This morning's email, for example, was truncated at 49K bytes. No multimedia, no pictures (they're links), but bulky html text was enough. Changing it to plain text allowed me to download the entire message.

Attachments are not a problem since they stay on the server until you download them. They are saved to my storage card. The body of an email, though, is downloaded to internal memory only. If you have little available internal memory, the blackberry will either truncate the email or refuse to download it at all.

If the problem is caused by limited internal memory, every user may reach the threshhold at a different time. My 8310 has very little memory. A blackberry with more memory can possibly handle larger emails.

Even the gmail application truncates some emails on my phone, probably for the same reason, though it didn't trucate this morning's NY Times email. It minimizes resources by eliminating links, just showing the text. Logicmail didn't even try to display it.

I tried a test from my ISP, can't send an attachment over 2 MB from my ISp's mail server... dang the limit used to be bigger. Next Gmail or Hotmail for the test.
    11-10-09 09:45 AM
    Ah... I understand now. Since I dumped things I don't use or need from the OS, my emails have not reached the "magic" limit, as far as the emails I have gotten.

I do get a few newsletters and newpapers sent to me. So it's due to what I have selected on some of the push type mail, that has limited their size so far. Got it.

Guess if you never see a "problem" you don't know how annoying it can be for those that do have it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-10-09 10:59 AM
    The droid does look attractive but unless it does these, I'm not switching:

1) world phone capability - you cannot beat the dual CDMA/quad band GSM capability
    2) BBM - reliability of message delivery
    3) push email for most if not all email account types, not just gmail
    4) Email functionality overall

I think all us tech junkies love to get a new toy every 4-6 months and while the droid offers something refreshing I will admit, it will not be my S1's replacement simply because of the above reasons. With OS 5.0, many of the S1's shortcomings were addressed...now if they optimize the S2 (already having added wifi) I will be a happy camper....
    11-10-09 10:59 AM
    The droid does look attractive but unless it does these, I'm not switching:

1) world phone capability - you cannot beat the dual CDMA/quad band GSM capability - for those that actually travel the world - it is good - for the 83% of people who do not.... who really cares.
    2) BBM - reliability of message delivery - all BBM is another version of - Y!/AIM/Google Talk
    3) push email for most if not all email account types, not just gmail = like 95% all of the IMAP Emails works with Android... i know, a buddy of mine has one and he gets all his mail.
    4) Email functionality overall - you just admitted to never playing with a Android... their Email Functions work 100% better than BB's as for a "user options on the device"

I think all us tech junkies love to get a new toy every 4-6 months and while the droid offers something refreshing I will admit, it will not be my S1's replacement simply because of the above reasons. With OS 5.0, many of the S1's shortcomings were addressed...now if they optimize the S2 (already having added wifi) I will be a happy camper....
    I honestly think the reason why RIM is addressing all of the problems that they have been addressing / releasing this week, is simply the Android platform is going to be growing like weeds after a spring rain. like i've said before [ but everyone hasn't seen it or may have forgotten] at my place of employment we have a 8310, 8900, 9000, 9530 and a 9630. my best friend and his wife have G1, and my sister and brother in law both have iPhone 3G phones. the Android base phones, in my personal opinion, are the only phones that offer the all might iPhone any type of "challenge" as of today. but with all of the announcements that RIM has leaked it's pretty hard to say what will happen 2/4/6 years down the road. and what will 'Droid and Apple do to combat the RIM platform?!?! it's a never ending battle - i just wish RIM was still leaps and bounds ahead of everyone else - but the plain and simple fact is they need to play a serious game from here on out or the upcoming generation will not want anything to do with "their father's phone"....
    11-10-09 12:03 PM
    I honestly think the reason why RIM is addressing all of the problems that they have been addressing / releasing this week, is simply the Android platform is going to be growing like weeds after a spring rain. like i've said before [ but everyone hasn't seen it or may have forgotten] at my place of employment we have a 8310, 8900, 9000, 9530 and a 9630. my best friend and his wife have G1, and my sister and brother in law both have iPhone 3G phones. the Android base phones, in my personal opinion, are the only phones that offer the all might iPhone any type of "challenge" as of today. but with all of the announcements that RIM has leaked it's pretty hard to say what will happen 2/4/6 years down the road. and what will 'Droid and Apple do to combat the RIM platform?!?! it's a never ending battle - i just wish RIM was still leaps and bounds ahead of everyone else - but the plain and simple fact is they need to play a serious game from here on out or the upcoming generation will not want anything to do with "their father's phone"....
    agreed to all the above. I also admitted to being quite tempted to switch but I originally came from a GSM phone/company and like to take my devices with me....gsm capability means I can take my S1 or S2 to another carrier should I ever need to....that said, I'm probably a minority on this so I can understand why this is a non-issue for a lot of the folks.

As for BBM vs GT or other IM programs, I can tell you nothing else compares...the D and R functionality of BBM means that I know if my message went through and even read....I work in the medical field and this has been an invaluable tool for us.

I didn't know it did so many of the common imap emails - this means its real push functionality or a poll timer?
    11-10-09 12:48 PM
    agreed to all the above. I also admitted to being quite tempted to switch but I originally came from a GSM phone/company and like to take my devices with me....gsm capability means I can take my S1 or S2 to another carrier should I ever need to....that said, I'm probably a minority on this so I can understand why this is a non-issue for a lot of the folks.

As for BBM vs GT or other IM programs, I can tell you nothing else compares...the D and R functionality of BBM means that I know if my message went through and even read....I work in the medical field and this has been an invaluable tool for us.

I didn't know it did so many of the common imap emails - this means its real push functionality or a poll timer?
    From what i've read and understood they are "real time / Push" email clients, but i'm still diggen into that. I'm highly debating on getting the Cliq (1.5 'droid) and that would be a big deal for me. but i guess i could have all of the other emails auto BBC to Gmail then i'd get it.... but anyway.... I love GSM phone, my 8900 and my 8310 are both unlocked and about 90 days after i get my Cliq it'll be unlocked... 1) i'm a free agent so i can pack up and go if i want to 2) brings more monies.

and on the d/r i agree 100% in a need fashion it is nice , but i see google talk adding that to their platform... they'll have to that would open, as you said, more professionals to use 'droid....
    11-10-09 01:33 PM
    If you have droid 1.5, can you update to 2.0 like how we do for bb?

11-10-09 01:40 PM
    Wow, wish I could say that! For my Storm, those are daily events that I've had to accept as part of having a BB.

The browser on a BB is a joke, memory management is a constant problem, and still no folder support for email. Unbelievable. Yeah, I'm going to give the Droid a serious look as soon as Big Red gives me a price break.

Push email? Nice but I can seriously wait a few minutes to pull my email if I can view a web page without getting an error. If it's that important, call me or text me.
    I guess I have also been lucky. I've had my BB storm since Jan 09 and I think I have had to reset it about 5-10 times. I never keep an eye on the memory or have to fiddle with much of anything. I have put on the latest leaked OS's when they came out, and now have 5 (official).

However, on the browser issue, yes, I feel it's just about useless. I don't use it unless it's practically an emergency, which is disappointing on that level, since I'm paying for a data package.
    11-10-09 02:49 PM
    I think a lot of people will learn with all this new openess and apple trying to catch up security will be sacrificed as well as battery life. And its funny how all these berry users say oh I don't need that or this but with the new news you hear how awesome the berry will be hahahaha you guys crack me up

11-10-09 04:42 PM
299 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD