Hey all,
    I am a crackberry addict who is about to due for an upgrade. I've been trying to wait for bbx or whatever they are going to call it but with rumors of a next summer release I don't think I can wait that long. I've been leaning towards either a 9810 or 9900 (gotta have that keyboard! I'm concerned about my grubby fingers on the 9810's small keyboard so was leaning towards the 9900. However the other day saw a disturbing blog post about 9900's bricking. This happnens all the time with my current curve (away for repairs for the 3rd time) and god help me I don't want to go through this again, especially when locking into a new 3 year contract. Can anyone tell me how prevelant this issue is with the 9900? how about the 9810? and is it happening a lot in Canada? I really don't want to spend that much money and time on a paper weight.
    thanks
    11-01-11 05:17 AM
    Basically the phone really doesn't brick if you keep official OS. I haven't bricked a device ever. That is for 4 years. Trust me. If you need more suggestions just drop me a pm!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Alibran likes this.
    11-01-11 05:28 AM
    As you can see I'm new at the forums so I'm not sure '"how" to pm you. I appreciate your reply. it is a big decision and the idea of those damned jvm error messages on a new phone leaves me cold. I've had friends try to sway me to iphones, however using my ipod touch is about as close to Ios as i wanna go. Couldn't imagine that as my primary phone. One other question I'll throw here. In comparing 9900 to 9810, how big a deal is the lack of an auto focus camera in the 9900?
    thanks for the help!
    11-01-11 05:53 AM
    If you go looking for bad reports about any phone, you will find it online. I personally have the curve 9300 and never had the dreaded "brick" issue you speak of. Go for the 9900, that is what I would do if my family CEO let me.
    11-01-11 06:29 AM
    I have to wonder if some of the bricking is from doing device switches, restoring backups with incompatible settings or corrupt files. Installing apps or themes not made for the OS.
    11-01-11 06:40 AM
    I have never seen one used as a paperweight, but they do get used as coasters.

Deathcommand likes this.
    11-01-11 07:31 AM
    Basically the phone really doesn't brick if you keep official OS. I haven't bricked a device ever. That is for 4 years. Trust me. If you need more suggestions just drop me a pm!

Disagree. My hybrid and my official got bricked.

downloading A new BBM and App World without rebooting caused it.

I think.
    Maybe.
    Idk. I know it was bricked because of a wlan .cod.
    11-01-11 07:34 AM

I never had anything but official OSs on my BBs and they bricked. It can also be due to bad apps, too many apps and just because it feels like it. You don't have to download a virus to blue screen your PC. Sometimes, it just happens. Same thing with a BB.
    11-01-11 08:52 AM
    9810 here with 0 bricking issues since its release a couple months ago. Camera can be a factor, but I have seen just as good pictures coming from a 9900 as the 9810. I think the only place the camera suffers is close up shots.

Really the only difference(minus the camera) is the screen size and keyboard. If you don't mind a little smaller keyboard the screen real estate can be a huge deciding factor. It really comes down to either a smaller keyboard and larger screen, or a larger keyboard and smaller screen, and the sliding form factor of the 9810.

Best bet is to go and have a tryout of both devices and decide for yourself.
    11-01-11 09:35 AM
    I hate to say it dude, but run, get as far away as possible. I am pretty close to going past the coaster stage and just gonna smash my phone into something very hard. I am on hold with Telus, again, for about the 10th time in past two weeks.
    11-01-11 11:02 AM
    Wow ...last post does not inspire much enthusiams...especially since im with telus as well.....alright crackberry addicts...restore my dwindling faith and convince i wont be buying a brick if i stay with blackberry!
    11-01-11 12:11 PM
    Coming from a Storm2 to a Bold 9930, I have only bricked the 9930 when I was updating from the Storm. And the fix wasnt a big deal and more my aggressive nature to move things over quickly was my downfall. I always use the tool the BB tool on my pc vs over the wire for updates with a backup prior.

Note tho, I use like 4 apps on my phone.
    11-01-11 12:47 PM
    Dont get me wrong Alibran, i love my phone, maybe a bit too much. I am sure other phones have had issues as well, and even the Telus rep told me that you cant beat the BB for messaging.
    I have had some issues though, and this "brick" thing really freaks me out.
    FWIW, my phone is currently on the way to RIM, and I am using a loaner.
    11-01-11 01:09 PM
    Another 9810 user here, zero bricking ever, and have loaded two leaked OS builds without drama. I'm reconsidering buying a 9900 even to test it out, they seems to have some problems that do not exist on the 9810. Loving the larger screen as well!
    11-01-11 01:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD