One issue is that is often overlooked is that a mobile OS isn't a solitary device - in order for it to really be useful, it needs to be able to communicate and interact with hundreds or even thousands of standards, protocols, and services - which are constantly evolving. What an OS requires to "be alive" is a constantly-moving target, requiring constant development to adapt and keep pace with those changes.

An OS that is no longer being developed is an OS that is rapidly dying, not because its own code is changing, but because the code running on billions of other devices that it needs to talk to are changing.

Things that work perfectly fine today could stop working tomorrow. We've seen that happen with the FB app - FB changed the API, and BB didn't update the app to reflect those changes. SnapChat worked, and then it didn't. Maybe next will be LinkedIn, or Google Maps, or Citrix, or something else important. And when it breaks, it almost certainly won't be fixed - ever.

That's a risk that every user will have to evaluate for themselves, but it's understandable that many people aren't going to find this risk acceptable, and are going to move on to another platform. Others will live with it for as long as they can, or at least until they start feeling the effects themselves.
    Once again, great comments. BlackBerry 10 is being left behind. Android apps will become more incompatible. Less native apps. New technologies, products, companies, media outlets, etc. will come out that won't have apps for BlackBerry 10. What happens if communication protocols change or update on various systems? Doesn't look good unfortunately.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-21-16 06:05 AM
    Many are not drinking the android kool aide.
    Blackberry's market share has dropped to less than 1%. Most have already drunk.
    JeepBB and Witmen like this.
    01-21-16 06:07 AM
    Crackberry is POISON these days.
    01-21-16 07:33 AM
    Is there a better way for BB10 to be utilized
    As an alarm clock.. or a paperweight.
    01-21-16 07:35 AM
    Bb10 is not CB.
    Bb10 is dead.
    CB is alive.
    I don't see why CrackBerry is on the picture.
    01-21-16 07:37 AM
    There are many who believe BB10 is in maintenance and phase-out mode. That is "dead" in the sense that what you see in BB10 hardware and software today is what you will see a year from now, while the other mobile platforms will see new devices and major OS updates.

It is possible for someone to acknowledge the reality of BB10's situation while still remaining a fan of it and even continuing to use it.

Posted from my  Q10 via CB10
    01-21-16 07:41 AM
    There are many who believe BB10 is in maintenance and phase-out mode. That is "dead" in the sense that what you see in BB10 hardware and software today is what you will see a year from now, while the other mobile platforms will see new devices and major OS updates.

It is possible for someone to acknowledge the reality of BB10's situation while still remaining a fan of it and even continuing to use it.

Posted from my  Q10 via CB10
    I see this all the time. It makes me wonder what these people think the word, "dead" means. By their definition my 2003 Subaru is "dead" because it's out of warranty and Subaru isn't adding any new features for it. I can't get satellite radio or GPS without tweaking it with aftermarket stuff.

But it still runs great, and Subaru will still "patch" if it issues a recall.

Blackberry 10 likely will not be developed any further, but neither will Window 7, and there are hundreds of millions of people using that OS.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-16 07:58 AM
    I see this all the time. It makes me wonder what these people think the word, "dead" means. By their definition my 2003 Subaru is "dead" because it's out of warranty and Subaru isn't adding any new features for it. I can't get satellite radio or GPS without tweaking it with aftermarket stuff.

Blackberry 10 likely will not be developed any further, but neither will Window 7, and there are hundreds of millions of people using that OS.

Posted via CB10
    Even though it's a big deal for most, let's leave apps out of the equation.

Strictly as an email client, you are probably correct - right up to the point that they make server-side changes at your email provider. Hopefully that doesn't happen for a while.

Lack of browser security and standards/protocol updates are of some concern.
    Last edited by conite; 01-21-16 at 08:27 AM.
    JeepBB and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    01-21-16 08:13 AM

Posted via CB10
    We probably agree more than you'd think.

I try to use the phrase "BB is done with BB10" rather than "BB10 is dead", though I probably have used "dead" in some of my posts. What I am sure of though is that BB10 isn't coming back and won't be developed further.

BB10 phones will continue to work as they do now. If BB10 does everything you want, then that's fantastic, and BB's decision to move BB10 into maintenance and towards EOL need not bother you.

Except that BB10 doesn't exist in a vacuum. The world moves on. There will be new must-have Apps, new wearables, new comms protocols, new frequency bands, android apps that won't run on the Jellybean RT, etc ... And all of that world of external development will be denied to BB10 users.

I'd be astonished if any shortfall were met by aftermarket suppliers either. The remaining BB10 userbase is tiny, I'd guess at 8M devices owned by 5M owners worldwide, and that's far too small to sustain an aftermarket IMO.

Like I say, if you are happy with BB10 as it is now, and assuming that the external world doesn't move too fast, you can continue to use your BB10 phone for years to come.

So, not dead. Maybe frozen in time is a better description?
    Last edited by JeepBB; 01-21-16 at 09:51 AM.
    01-21-16 08:25 AM
    Even though it's a big deal for most, let's leave apps out of the equation.

Strictly as an email client, you are probably correct - right up to the point that they make server-side changes at your email provider. Hopefully that doesn't happen for a while.

Lack of browser security and standards updates are of some concern.
    Email. Browser. Maps. BBM. Phone. SMS. Calendar. Remember Synced to Outlook/Exchange/Evernote. =All are working great. There are some B4B apps I use occasionally as well, but mostly big use the good old Web. I haven't had any problems with my phone in months, and I use it 16-20 hours a day.

Posted via CB10
    gugomat likes this.
    01-21-16 08:47 AM
    OP, I totally agree with you. Although I'm using Priv as my daily driver but I still find myself using my SE Passport often too. BB10 IS ALIVE AND FIGHTING TO REMAIN SO.
    BB_PP and gugomat like this.
    01-21-16 09:15 AM
    Email. Browser. Maps. BBM. Phone. SMS. Calendar. Remember Synced to Outlook/Exchange/Evernote. =All are working great. There are some B4B apps I use occasionally as well, but mostly big use the good old Web. I haven't had any problems with my phone in months, and I use it 16-20 hours a day.

Posted via CB10
    I was limiting my comments to just the potential issues that might come up with email and the browser when a device no longer receives updates - the two most basic functions of any device. I still see another year or two of occasional updates mind you.
    01-21-16 09:18 AM
    This thread is depressing.

Can only hope the BB phone of productivity can live on in a future physical form, and not just in our hearts.
    01-21-16 09:23 AM
    Actually Exchange 2013 is still working great on my totally dead PlayBook.
    01-21-16 09:31 AM
    i was actually surprised crackberry is also still alive, i thought blackberry (the company) had already gone bankrupt or something... i came on just to see if the site was still intact and got the shock of my life to see that it is...

it is actually very very amusing reading to see there are still some people out there who insist on using inferior products and seem to be stuck in the past.
    01-21-16 09:34 AM
    i
    it is actually very very amusing reading to see there are still some people out there who insist on using inferior products and seem to be stuck in the past.
    Like 80% of all Android users...
    David Tyler and lift like this.
    01-21-16 09:41 AM
    yeah! exactly! but blackberry is like at the very rock bottom of the pile....
    01-21-16 09:43 AM
    So we are basically arguing about semantics? Sounds like most agree on the same fundamental idea but perhaps prefer different terms.

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB and JeepBB like this.
    01-21-16 10:16 AM
    We probably agree more than you'd think.

I try to use the phrase "BB is done with BB10" rather than "BB10 is dead", though I probably have used "dead" in some of my posts. What I am sure of though is that BB10 isn't coming back and won't be developed further.

BB10 phones will continue to work as they do now. If BB10 does everything you want, then that's fantastic, and BB's decision to move BB10 into maintenance and towards EOL need not bother you.

Except that BB10 doesn't exist in a vacuum. The world moves on. There will be new must-have Apps, new wearables, new comms protocols, new frequency bands, android apps that won't run on the Jellybean RT, etc ... And all of that world of external development will be denied to BB10 users.

I'd be astonished if any shortfall were met by aftermarket suppliers either. The remaining BB10 userbase is tiny, I'd guess at 8M devices owned by 5M owners worldwide, and that's far too small to sustain an aftermarket IMO.

Like I say, if you are happy with BB10 as it is now, and assuming that the external world doesn't move too fast, you can continue to use your BB10 phone for years to come.

So, not dead. Maybe frozen in time is a better description?
    Agreed on every item. Don't expect a advances, but don't panic if you're happy with current functionality.

Posted via CB10
    David Tyler likes this.
    01-21-16 10:21 AM
    So we are basically arguing about semantics? Sounds like most agree on the same fundamental idea but perhaps prefer different terms.

Posted via CB10
    I'd like to think we are "discussing" semantics, because words matter. The word "dead" is not a very precise term when it comes to technology, so it can lead to confusion.

Posted via CB10
    David Tyler likes this.
    01-21-16 10:23 AM
    What's that, can anyone explain it to me? Why are you, guys, telling everyone about BlackBerry 10 death here?
    Probably you'd feel better about it if comments were prefaced with "In my opinion" or some other qualifying language. BlackBerry 10 predictions you read here are speculation -- some of them informed, a lot of them "not so much" -- and it's up to you to filter out the garbage. It's the internet! <shrug> 75% of the posts here are written because people like to feel part of something, so there's a lot of "Yeah! What he/she said!" In my opinion (hah hah), you could do worse than keeping in mind that if you never look at CrackBerry forums again, your life will go on pretty much the same as it was 39 posts ago.
    01-21-16 10:29 AM
    It's all assumptions. No one has facts. All silly assumptions.

Posted via CB10
    David Tyler likes this.
    01-21-16 10:36 AM
    It's all assumptions. No one has facts. All silly assumptions.

Posted via CB10
    I think you can escalate the assumption level a bit higher than "silly", no?

There are a lot of hard facts to discuss.
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-21-16 10:39 AM
    I keep saying that Thor stated BB10 would last for ten years which means it will be supported until 2023.
    01-21-16 10:40 AM
    I think you can escalate the assumption level a bit higher than "silly", no?

There are a lot of hard facts to discuss.
    Fact is John Chen himself said he would like to release another BB10 device in the future. If no one is aware of this key fact, it boils down to silly assumptions.

Posted via CB10
    gugomat likes this.
    01-21-16 10:49 AM
220 12345 ...