As a former Storm2 owner, I have switched to the Thunderbolt as of this past wednesday. I wanted to share my experieince as well as offfer a word of warning to anyone who intends to purchase a cell phone in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts:

I could not believe it. I was filled with anticipation when I entered my local VZ store 2 days ago. I had researched the Thunderbolt and was prepared to take the plunge. The price of the phone was $199.00 with a new 2 year contract. It was then that the "fit hit the shan".

The friendly, knowledgeable store rep told me the final price of the sale and I looked at him and asked the origin of the additional $30 on the bottom line. He explained to me the Commonwealth of Massachusetts collects tax from VZ when they sell a phone. As of July 1, the Commonwealth collects/charges VZ for taxes on the MSRP of the unit, not the sale price! I said you've got to be ****ing me! He smiled understandably and informed me that's the way it is now.

NH with no sales tax is only and hour away from me, but it was getting late and my anticipation superseded my frugality and I gave Gov. Deval Patrick (President Obama's mini me) the unearned extra $30 he so desperately needs.
    Save your money, plan a tip to NH when it's time to upgrade your phone.

To those who are not residents of the Bay State, is this the same in your state or are we, who are blessed to live in the Home State of Paul Revere, John Quincy Adams and the Kennedys, as well as Super Bowl, World Series and now Stanley Cup champions, oh yeah and Barney Frank, the only ones who are subject to this lunacy?
    07-23-11 07:15 AM
  2. T
    Strange. Bought mine at Best Buy Mobile in Massachusetts in June, and it was the usual 7.5% sales tax on my product total of $80. Of course the value of the phone is significantly higher. But I think it worked out this way for me because this phone wasn't in stock, and I technically bought a gift card (I don't have a credit card) which the salesperson then used to place my order from the website. So, remember this: in Massachusetts, first buy a gift card, then order the phone on line, lol.
    Last edited by Tnis; 07-23-11 at 07:37 AM.
    07-23-11 07:35 AM
    This new tax rate went into effect on July 1, 2011
    I bought my phone on the 20th. "Missed it by that much."
    07-23-11 07:42 AM
  4. T
    Hmmm. I guess I did dodge that bullet, lol. Don't forget states have been doing that scam with cars forever -- charging the sales tax on the value of the car as opposed to on the actual sale price. So if I buy a car from family for $1, it's still a sales tax screw job on the full book value.
    07-23-11 07:47 AM
    What, you don't like paying for the best government money can buy?

This is only going to become more common, and I sympathize with your plight. Would that apply to online purchases as well? And do they swoop in and tag you after you go out of state for your new device? I can definitely see a need to make a trip if they don't.

Thanks for tipping your fellow members to this pickpocket tactic.

A long distance dedication from your Gov. http://goo.gl/3TFFw

For the story.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by BergerKing; 07-23-11 at 08:04 AM.
    07-23-11 07:56 AM
    I heard that Obama's Mini Me, Gov. Deval Patrick wants citizens of the Commonwealth to pay taxes to the state on their out of state purchases.
    Online purchases are still not taxed in this state, as far as I know. .
    A few years ago, the news media caught a Mass politician, who had voted to increase the state's liquor tax, up in NH buying a trunk load of booze.
    Can you believe that??? Only in the Bay State.
    07-23-11 08:03 AM
  7. T
    ... And do they swoop in and tag you after you go out of state for your new device?
    I think Massachusetts already tried this with certain things its residents were traveling to New Hampshire to buy. Of course, this is only possible with the cooperation of the other state and its retailers over whom MA has no jurisdiction. I think I remember reading how California was the silliest in assessing property tax. Satellite companies were getting tax bills on satellites they owned which were deployed outside of California -- in outer space!

Last edited by Tnis; 07-23-11 at 08:12 AM.
    07-23-11 08:06 AM
    I heard that Obama's Mini Me, Gov. Deval Patrick wants citizens of the Commonwealth to pay taxes to the state on their out of state purchases.
    A few years ago, the news media caught a Mass politician, who had voted to increase the state's liquor tax, up in NH buying a trunk load of booze.
    Can you believe that??? Only in the Bay State.
    Yes, I can believe it. What's good for the goose isn't necessarily good for the hunter. You are the taxpayer, and you're supposed to watch this, and follow by example Roll Video!

07-23-11 08:12 AM
    I think Massachusetts already tried this with certain things its residents were traveling to New Hampshire to buy. Of course, this is only possible with the cooperation of the other state and its retailers over whom MA has no jurisdiction. I think I remember reading how California was the silliest in assessing property tax. Satellite companies were getting tax bills on satellites they owned which were deployed outside of California -- in outer space!

What else would you expect from Space Cadets?

Kinda reminds me of a funny thing when Hot Rod Blagojevich was raping Illinois and decided to double the registration fees on all commercial trucks that were registered or based in Illinois to trucks and fill their coffers, and then gaped in disbelief as tens of thousand of trucks were registered in nearby states as their companies moved out. Hello! They're trucks, they roll!
    Last edited by BergerKing; 07-23-11 at 08:21 AM.
    07-23-11 08:16 AM
    Wait... you went to buy a phone - discovered an additional $30 fee - purchased the phone anyways and are blaming the state for collecting revenue? If you disagree with it - why'd you buy it?

Originally Posted by Michael_V View Post
    Most states require you to pay taxes on purchases outside of the state - you are responsible for claiming those purchases and paying the taxes on your own. Whether or not you do that is your own choice since they have no way of tracking it. And guess what? My state is ran by (dougle finger quotes) conservatives.

And in most states - online purchases from entities that are either based in your state or have a branch in your state are susceptible to state sales tax.

And how come whenever anyone has to pay taxes it has something to do with Obama? If anything that makes your post look like some fringe tea bagger rant.
    Last edited by mjs416; 07-23-11 at 12:18 PM.
    07-23-11 12:16 PM
    My guess is Massachusetts treats rebates as tenders against the sale total, not as a discount to the price. Coupons are similar. If VZW applied the rebate at the POS and made sure every customer always gets it, they could probably argue it should be considered taxable as a discount and not a tender.

The unfortunate disconnect to the consumer is the "after rebate" advertised price. Common sense says the price is being discounted. But what is happening in the states eyes is you are paying most of the price and the phone manufacturer is paying a portion of that price on your behalf. Same with coupons.

07-23-11 12:41 PM
    I believe the Tax is to pay for Romneycare, which BTW has nothing to do with Obama, other than he copied the dumbass plan in his version.
    07-23-11 01:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD