Over publicized news�
    I work in financial services and have been running with a 9700 and an iphone 3GS since January of this year. Both are connected to exchange server. Since January, I have burned through 6 iphones (still under warranty and replaced with no questions asked by Apple) and had 1 BB.

The iphone is a great entertainment device and for the last few months has turned into my weekend phone because it falls short as a business device. The 9700 is the work-horse I use during the week (looking forward to picking up the 9780 this month).

So what is the bottom line, people will jump at the opportunity to use the iphone like I did but will shortly realize its terrible for business and you have to buy a bunch of apps that come built into the BB to function.
    11-06-10 07:40 AM
    I couldn't agree with you more. I personally use my bb solely for the purpose of what it intended for, email, bbm, scheduling and tasks. I can't see me moving away from a physical keyboard because without it everything in my life will slow down. Smart phones should not slow people down especially in typing. On my torch I only have a handful of apps, I belief if you're not using an app within a work week then it's notworthy of paying for.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-06-10 08:22 AM
    Yup, for *certain* environments nothing beats the Blackberry. Just like for entertainment and perfect browsing I would choose an iPhone.
    My friend just opened a day spa in Annapolis. She handed her managers iPhone 4s. For them, it's perfect.
    Personally, I prefer the Blackberry. And my work won't have anything else.

11-06-10 08:33 AM
    I couldn't agree more. I had an iPhone for all of three months; only two apps were ever useful to me. It was a great phone to show my friends, but served no actual purpose. Does not even have a task application! Went back to the BB for its calendar, messaging, tasks/memos & e-mail. [insert sigh of relief]
    11-06-10 08:34 AM
    I don't plus ten char

11-06-10 08:55 AM
    I've been preaching this to associates and friends for years.

BB for work, iphone is for play.

And some of them still choose the iphone and come asking me questions about enterprise and how to make it more business functional, I tell them get a BB!

11-06-10 09:08 AM
    I don't plus ten char

LOL ... +1

There are many of us that can agree, when it comes to communications and organization, BlackBerry does the job best.
    11-06-10 11:30 AM
    I have an iPod touch for 'all' the things Apple supposedly does better than BB. So far that is only iTunes, and even that is mostly because of 16 gb built into the iPod, and the fact that I personally prefer to keep a separate device for music. I spent a lot of time with my iPod in the days before I finally pulled the trigger on the Torch to help me decide if I could live with the iOS interface on my every-day phone. I decided that I couldn't. And furthermore, there's nothing I need my Torch to do that it can't ... it works and plays quite well for me.
    11-06-10 11:37 AM
    Blackberry is a tool, Iphone is a toy, plain and simple...couldn't agree more with ya OP!
    11-06-10 11:50 AM
    The iPhone is as much of a tool in the right hands. This stupid "toy" analogy has to
    stop and stop now.

A person with a personal BB, limited data, who only texts, play games and update
    their Facebook page has a tool? Seriously?

Both are fine BUSINESS and PERSONAL devices. Let's end the snobbery.
    11-06-10 01:05 PM
    Once the novelty rubbed off on the iphone all you get is an expensive mp3/mpeg2 player. I need my smartphone to make critical calls and while I'm on a call I want to have the ability to send bbm or update my schedule/task then switch back to the call without missing a beat. Don't get me wrong Apple makes great products as I do I have an Imac (prev. Mac mini) and an ipod nano but just not phone. Too much emphasis on aesthetic and none on functionality is just not going to make me buy a product with an Apple icon on it.

11-06-10 01:06 PM
    Once the novelty rubbed off on the iphone all you get is an expensive mp3/mpeg2 player. I need my smartphone to make critical calls and while I'm on a call I want to have the ability to send bbm or update my schedule/task then switch back to the call without missing a beat. Don't get me wrong Apple makes great products as I do I have an Imac (prev. Mac mini) and an ipod nano but just not phone. Too much emphasis on aesthetic and none on functionality is just not going to make me buy a product with an Apple icon on it.

what BB and carrier to you have?
    11-06-10 01:11 PM
    I prefer my BB to the iPhone that I used to have, but I don't see how my BB helps me get through my work week any better. I was basically able to do the same things on my iPhone that I did on my BB. There are just different ways of doing it. The one big thing that I prefer in a BB over the iPhone is text input. The custom dictionary and AutoText are hard for me to let go. Other than that, for all "work/business" tasks, they were about the same. The battery life was the other reason I chose a BB over the iPhone. As far as the iPhone being labeled a toy; I can see that and that's one of the reasons I like it. I used to love playing RockBand and Tiger Woods golf on my iPhone. Its a great way to waste time. I liked watching videos and podcasts as well. For multimedia, its the best. The iPhone is a great overall phone. But I still prefer my BB because I use less data which ends up being cheaper on my bill, the keyboard is the best, battery life is superior, and the messaging system and PIM functions are very intuitive. Both are great.

11-06-10 01:39 PM
    Over publicized news�
    I work in financial services and have been running with a 9700 and an iphone 3GS since January of this year. Both are connected to exchange server. Since January, I have burned through 6 iphones (still under warranty and replaced with no questions asked by Apple) and had 1 BB.

The iphone is a great entertainment device and for the last few months has turned into my weekend phone because it falls short as a business device. The 9700 is the work-horse I use during the week (looking forward to picking up the 9780 this month).

So what is the bottom line, people will jump at the opportunity to use the iphone like I did but will shortly realize its terrible for business and you have to buy a bunch of apps that come built into the BB to function.
    Like what? List the apps you had to buy and their counterpart BB preloaded app in question and the need.
    11-06-10 01:45 PM
    Blackberry is a tool, Iphone is a toy, plain and simple...couldn't agree more with ya OP!
    Here we go again with that same ol line... Do me a favor... fogetaboutit.
    11-06-10 01:46 PM
    It never ends.
    11-06-10 01:48 PM
    Lol....people still say this....
    11-06-10 01:55 PM
    Its hard to believe but it is true.

11-06-10 02:06 PM
    Needs more Chuck D.

11-06-10 04:57 PM
    Since it's my opinion, how bout I don't forget about it? Deal?

Why wouldn't I? If it's how I feel
    Last edited by Nozzles Brewin; 11-06-10 at 06:09 PM.
    11-06-10 06:02 PM
    Yeah! Another my phone can beat up your phone thread. You can never have enough of these!

11-06-10 07:11 PM
    The iPhone is as much of a tool in the right hands. This stupid "toy" analogy has to
    stop and stop now.

A person with a personal BB, limited data, who only texts, play games and update

First, congrats on reaching 15,000 posts.

Secondly, you are one of the few clear voices on here and I enjoy reading your posts.
    11-06-10 07:23 PM
    Back
    Caught you lookin' for the same thing
    It's a new thing - check out this I bring - Chuck D.

Ok so I am back, the fact that I am looking at this forum and responding to my original posting on a Saturday night is a good indication my life has officially jumped the shark. Well my excuse is my wife went out with her girlfriends and I am babysitting our baby daughter� still it�s a pathetic excuse, there must be some hockey on TV I could watch instead.

When I started this thread, it was intended to outline the benefits of the BB and the iphone a tool, (�not a toy�) and it is simply is not very well suited for my situation. I guarantee and am willing to wager you will see similar posts like this one from people at Citi, Bank of America, UBS and other Financial firms adopting the iphone /Android policy in about 6-12 months from now.

Just to set the record straight before I go off on my tangent, my household has a number of PC laptops, an imac, a couple of macbooks, at last count 4 ipads, even a zune, and more ipods than I know what to do with. My point is I am more neutral than Switzerland when it comes to technology.

Back in January I started using an iphone for personal use. It was great and really made my 9700 look shameful, really shameful. It was fast and had a really slick interface. For a period of time I constantly looked at the maps just to see if it was accurate (it was phenomenal, the blue dot moved when I went from my family room and down the hall to my living room on the satellite view).

Being completely infatuated with my iphone, I spoke to my IT department and asked if they could hook it up to the enterprise exchange server, they were apprehensive at first, but they slowly caved because my earnings directly impact the dollar value of their bonus. They received a rather healthy one for 2009 so I did not have to push too hard. My intention was to have the iphone set up on exchange, walk up to the roof and toss my 9700. My thoughts at that time were, �F�you Blackberry, you archaic piece of plastic, you are outta here, adios old technology paradigm�.

Lucky for me I did not trash the BB (it was a couple weeks old at the time). One thing I noticed right away was the 3 � 5 minute lag time when receiving my email on the iphone compared to the BB. It sounds like a trivial thing but I need to usually take action ASAP on emails and that kind of delay is not acceptable.

Another problem I had was the lack of BBM, this is a quick way for me to keep in touch with people or distribute info instantly (e.g. shoot out a quick BBM to a research analyst in London on ABC stock, I can get a quick yes, no or no f�ing way in seconds). The iphone lacks this functionality and I tried to use plain old texting and this for a lack of a better term was f�ing useless and cost me 20K over the course of the first 3 weeks adopting the iphone.

Jumping back to my email point, functionality is pretty limited when dealing with meeting invites or meetings in general on the iphone. You can�t really do much other than Accept, Decline or Maybe. Also I quickly found out you can�t really edit a doc, xls or ppt without buying an app, not a big deal I am a sucker for impulse buying apps on itunes so an excuse to go and buy a specific app will also yield a game or two. From an email perspective, my main show stopper for using the iphone was it lacked the ability of dynamically pulling up email addresses in the recipient field while entering them, minor point but it is huge for me. The only way you can do this on the iphone is to add everyone including people who were cc�d on every email to your address book, I cant believe Steve Jobs did not think about this and is another practical example the iphone is not ready for prime time yet.

The Notes function is lack luster on the iphone, I use Memo all the time on the BB and it syncs up in my Outlook as a note� beautiful. My memory is awful, I can�t remember anything so this is amazing, type it in once and its done. With the iphone I experimented with Evernote, Awesome Note, Simple Note and even tried to use the native Notes� each one was flawed and counter-productive.

The native Task function in BB works well and also syncs with Outlook� it�s clean and does the job nicely. Once again I tried a number of apps, Teux Deux, Awesome Note, and a couple of others not worth mentioning� nothing worked as well as the native one on BB.

My final point is the same argument I have for reading books on my Kindle vs. my ipad. I have a mild case of A.D.D., so when I start reading a book on my ipad, its not long before I quickly think about beating my Bejeweled score or banging out a couple of levels of Angry Birds. The bottom line is if I don�t read a book on my Kindle I am not reading. The same goes for the iphone, I have 50+ games on it, some of them I have played and others are waiting to be played. It�s just another distraction. On the other hand with the BB, I have zero desire to play Brick Breaker (I mastered it and figure my top score is at least in the top 25 globally). I probably have one of the fastest thumbs in North America and Europe guaranteed. I can�t say the same about Asia; I watched a professional ping-pong tournament in Hong Kong years ago and its safe to say Asian probably have the fastest hand-eye coordination out there.

As mentioned earlier I have burned through 6 iphones. In my mind this is shoddy and unacceptable from a quality perspective. Apple exchanges them for new ones with no questions asked during the warranty period (I better make a note in my BB as a reminder to extend the warranty before it expires). In all seriousness, it similar to buying a car made on a Friday afternoon in Michigan prior to automated robotic manufacturing, I am starting to think I get iphones built on a day when some jumps off a building at Foxconn. The durability gets a failing grade in my books.

Back to my fast thumbs, I really enjoy using the touch screen keyboard on the iphone. I increased my words per minute substantially; in my opinion the iphone beats my BB in this category hands down. In hindsight I probably could have typed this post up in a quarter of the time it took to do this on a regular keyboard.

My experience with the iphone is not all bad, it is similar to a 50 something going through mid-life crisis and dating a 25 year old, Like the 25 year old, the iphone was sexy, refreshing and great to show off to friends. I tried desperately to make it work but in reality it was not meant to be. The break up was sad; I got over it and moved on. However not all is lost, like the 25 year old, the iphone is great to have on the weekends!
    11-06-10 09:18 PM
    Back
    Caught you lookin' for the same thing
    It's a new thing - check out this I bring - Chuck D.

Ok so I am back, the fact that I am looking at this forum and responding to my original posting on a Saturday night is a good indication my life has officially jumped the shark. Well my excuse is my wife went out with her girlfriends and I am babysitting our baby daughter� still it�s a pathetic excuse, there must be some hockey on TV I could watch instead.

When I started this thread, it was intended to outline the benefits of the BB and the iphone a tool, (�not a toy�) and it is simply is not very well suited for my situation. I guarantee and am willing to wager you will see similar posts like this one from people at Citi, Bank of America, UBS and other Financial firms adopting the iphone /Android policy in about 6-12 months from now.

Just to set the record straight before I go off on my tangent, my household has a number of PC laptops, an imac, a couple of macbooks, at last count 4 ipads, even a zune, and more ipods than I know what to do with. My point is I am more neutral than Switzerland when it comes to technology.

Back in January I started using an iphone for personal use. It was great and really made my 9700 look shameful, really shameful. It was fast and had a really slick interface. For a period of time I constantly looked at the maps just to see if it was accurate (it was phenomenal, the blue dot moved when I went from my family room and down the hall to my living room on the satellite view).

Being completely infatuated with my iphone, I spoke to my IT department and asked if they could hook it up to the enterprise exchange server, they were apprehensive at first, but they slowly caved because my earnings directly impact the dollar value of their bonus. They received a rather healthy one for 2009 so I did not have to push too hard. My intention was to have the iphone set up on exchange, walk up to the roof and toss my 9700. My thoughts at that time were, �F�you Blackberry, you archaic piece of plastic, you are outta here, adios old technology paradigm�.

Lucky for me I did not trash the BB (it was a couple weeks old at the time). One thing I noticed right away was the 3 � 5 minute lag time when receiving my email on the iphone compared to the BB. It sounds like a trivial thing but I need to usually take action ASAP on emails and that kind of delay is not acceptable.

Another problem I had was the lack of BBM, this is a quick way for me to keep in touch with people or distribute info instantly (e.g. shoot out a quick BBM to a research analyst in London on ABC stock, I can get a quick yes, no or no f�ing way in seconds). The iphone lacks this functionality and I tried to use plain old texting and this for a lack of a better term was f�ing useless and cost me 20K over the course of the first 3 weeks adopting the iphone.

Jumping back to my email point, functionality is pretty limited when dealing with meeting invites or meetings in general on the iphone. You can�t really do much other than Accept, Decline or Maybe. Also I quickly found out you can�t really edit a doc, xls or ppt without buying an app, not a big deal I am a sucker for impulse buying apps on itunes so an excuse to go and buy a specific app will also yield a game or two. From an email perspective, my main show stopper for using the iphone was it lacked the ability of dynamically pulling up email addresses in the recipient field while entering them, minor point but it is huge for me. The only way you can do this on the iphone is to add everyone including people who were cc�d on every email to your address book, I cant believe Steve Jobs did not think about this and is another practical example the iphone is not ready for prime time yet.

The Notes function is lack luster on the iphone, I use Memo all the time on the BB and it syncs up in my Outlook as a note� beautiful. My memory is awful, I can�t remember anything so this is amazing, type it in once and its done. With the iphone I experimented with Evernote, Awesome Note, Simple Note and even tried to use the native Notes� each one was flawed and counter-productive.

The native Task function in BB works well and also syncs with Outlook� it�s clean and does the job nicely. Once again I tried a number of apps, Teux Deux, Awesome Note, and a couple of others not worth mentioning� nothing worked as well as the native one on BB.

My final point is the same argument I have for reading books on my Kindle vs. my ipad. I have a mild case of A.D.D., so when I start reading a book on my ipad, its not long before I quickly think about beating my Bejeweled score or banging out a couple of levels of Angry Birds. The bottom line is if I don�t read a book on my Kindle I am not reading. The same goes for the iphone, I have 50+ games on it, some of them I have played and others are waiting to be played. It�s just another distraction. On the other hand with the BB, I have zero desire to play Brick Breaker (I mastered it and figure my top score is at least in the top 25 globally). I probably have one of the fastest thumbs in North America and Europe guaranteed. I can�t say the same about Asia; I watched a professional ping-pong tournament in Hong Kong years ago and its safe to say Asian probably have the fastest hand-eye coordination out there.

As mentioned earlier I have burned through 6 iphones. In my mind this is shoddy and unacceptable from a quality perspective. Apple exchanges them for new ones with no questions asked during the warranty period (I better make a note in my BB as a reminder to extend the warranty before it expires). In all seriousness, it similar to buying a car made on a Friday afternoon in Michigan prior to automated robotic manufacturing, I am starting to think I get iphones built on a day when some jumps off a building at Foxconn. The durability gets a failing grade in my books.

Back to my fast thumbs, I really enjoy using the touch screen keyboard on the iphone. I increased my words per minute substantially; in my opinion the iphone beats my BB in this category hands down. In hindsight I probably could have typed this post up in a quarter of the time it took to do this on a regular keyboard.

My experience with the iphone is not all bad, it is similar to a 50 something going through mid-life crisis and dating a 25 year old, Like the 25 year old, the iphone was sexy, refreshing and great to show off to friends. I tried desperately to make it work but in reality it was not meant to be. The break up was sad; I got over it and moved on. However not all is lost, like the 25 year old, the iphone is great to have on the weekends!
    Well said. With a blackberry you get to trust that you get all your communications instantly, with others you can't. It's peace of mind if anything else.
    11-07-10 06:49 AM
    stop and stop now.

Finally someone said it. I just read this thread waiting to say the same exact thing. When are people going to realize they're are both equally effective devices in the work place. Get over yourselves. Once you come to grips with this a lot of the bickering on this site will stop.
    11-07-10 06:55 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD