So today I got my fiancee to upgrade her Bold 9900 to a Classic and I will be upgrading my 3 year old Z10 within the next month to a Priv. I am waiting to see a bit of a price drop to around 200-250 on Bell. Who is doing their part to buy Blackberry ?? I understand the different O/S 's as in BB10 vs Android. This is not a comparison topic. I would rather buy a Blackberry on Android then have Hardware disappear. How do we keep winning phone awards but our hardware doesn't sell? I believe people will say damaged brand perception and minimal marketing. Go Blackberry
    04-07-16 03:59 PM
    How do we keep winning phone awards but our hardware doesn't sell?
    Awards that people don't care about and no one tells them they should care about, don't really matter. When was the last time you saw a BlackBerry ad touting the fact they won the Red Dot Award for example?

Answer: Never.

Heck, for that matter they don't even put it on the packaging despite that actually being a 'perk' of winning.
    04-07-16 04:49 PM
    Awards that people don't care about and no one tells them they should care about, don't really matter. When was the last time you saw a BlackBerry ad touting the fact they won the Red Dot Award for example?

Heck, for that matter they don't even put it on the packaging despite that actually being a 'perk' of winning.
    Blue Square award goes to Bla1ze for best comment of the day!

The real question is: when was the last time you saw a BlackBerry ad? Period. I've seen some targeted ads once in a while when browsing online but that's because I'm already Google searching "BlackBerry Priv" so I don't include those targeted ads in the tally. The sad answer is "zero".
    04-07-16 05:03 PM
    We have a few pairs of Kamik boots and some Mega Blocks. I'm not even Canadian.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-16 05:15 PM
    That is very true; Then what's the purpose of these awards and winning? I guess not much.
    04-07-16 07:26 PM
    That's nice - thank you for buying Canadian.
    04-07-16 07:28 PM
    I believe I only saw some adds on the ACC Maple Leaf arena.
    04-07-16 07:30 PM
    I have yet to see a single BlackBerry ad on TV. Might have to go and get cable service again. I actually have not seen any ads on my TV in 3 years. I miss the unlimited Internet though

Posted via CB10
    04-07-16 07:42 PM
    Does she miss her 9900 yet or mention it?
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-09-16 03:05 PM
    I'm not Canadian. I buy things that work best for me. I certainly don't buy anything, or persuade others to buy stuff, for reasons of patriotism.

Here in the UK, back in the 1970's, the car manufacturers pitched a "Buy British" campaign to counter the rise of Japanese imports. Some people fell for it, and bought the clunky, unreliable, British cars available at the time, many more bought the nicer, better value, more reliable, higher spec'ed foreign cars.

Eventually, UK car manufacturers did what they should have done from the start. They started to produce nicer, better value, higher spec'ed cars ... Which the UK public started to buy because the UK product was now a serious competitive product that sold both domestically and internationally.

Patriotism is a terrible reason to buy consumer goods. It generally delivers poor value for the buyer, and allows the vendor to become complacent.

Complacent vendors who fail to innovate and develop their products generally fail!
    TgeekB, DrBoomBotz, TGR1 and 3 others like this.
    04-10-16 02:33 AM
    I'm not Canadian. I buy things that work best for me. I certainly don't buy anything, or persuade others to buy stuff, for reasons of patriotism.

Here in the UK, back in the 1970's, the car manufacturers pitched a "Buy British" campaign to counter the rise of Japanese imports.

Patriotism is a terrible reason to buy consumer goods.
    Many of us ARE Canadian and it helps keep the $ in OUR country, and many jobs as well. That is good for the economy. (Remember when Nokia had to lay off thousands of workers at Nokia, and right before Christmas if I recall!) Canadian technology was "innovative" in the past, Blackberry was the first to offer Mobile Email and BBM in 2005 when no one else did it. You cannot say it was not "innovative." Only 5 years ago BB was 75% of the global cell market.

Telling a Canadian to not be Patriotic is like telling an American to fly an Iranian flag on their front yard.

1970's car quality, even in North America, generally left a LOT to be desired, but we all know about British electrical systems, there are a ton of MG's here from back in the day.

The point is, the Americans have FIERCE "Protectionism" when it comes to supporting their American jobs, so if we want to support our local and Canadian tech companies I say more power to them, that's our choice, and we are entitled to! The fact that Blackberry even thrived in the US market as long as it did is an accomplishment! If someone wants to buy a product from a Canadian company to feel good about themselves, that's THEIR buisness.

Blackberry is always something we can be proud of here, not to mention inventing the telephone, oh sorry, there I go with my pride again.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 04-10-16 at 04:42 AM.
    04-10-16 03:10 AM
    Many of us ARE Canadian and it helps keep the $ in OUR country, and many jobs as well. That is good for the economy.
    Yes, the "Buy British" campaign made a similar patriotic appeal.

The alternative strategy that they were eventually forced into - of making competitive products that people (both in the UK and abroad) actually wanted to buy on their merits, because it was the product that offered them the best value-proposition... that worked out a whole lot better.

Canadian technology was "innovative" in the past, Blackberry was the first to offer Mobile Email and BBM in 2005 when no one else did it. You cannot say it was not "innovative." Only 5 years ago BB was 75% of the global cell market.
    I believe the key word there is "was".

Back in Queen Victoria's day, Britain and British industry (literally) ruled the world. That was then...

And people in the Victorian age didn't buy things made in Britain just because they were British-made. They bought it because it was the best! In the World!
    04-10-16 03:28 AM
    for the sake of the job market, I got no problem with Patriotism. if you do thats your problem, but dont tell people to not buy their own product if they want to!

04-10-16 03:32 AM
    Looks like Canada has a lot of current innovation in many companies to be Patriotic about. We are also one of the world leaders in Robotics, right in Waterloo, home of Blackberry

http://www.canadianinnovationexchang...ogy-companies/

04-10-16 03:48 AM
    for the sake of the job market, I got no problem with Patriotism. if you do thats your problem, but dont tell people to not buy their own product if they want to!
    I don't believe that I did.

I stated that buying a product based on patriotism rather than it being the best product for your needs is a terrible reason to buy anything. And that remains true.

Pushing this back on topic rather than indulge in "my flag is bigger than your flag" banter... Imagine a smartphone world where the iPhone never happened. BlackBerry would likely still be on-top and Google would have released their BB-clone of Android (including a PBK, as was the pre-iPhone plan). In that alternative world, do you believe that we would have the smartphone world we have today? The immensely powerful, and capable, handsets?

MikeL famously couldn't see the point of 2G networks, and didn't see why any phone should have a camera. Imagine the world that such closed-mind thinking would have brought.
    04-10-16 03:58 AM
    I don't believe that I did.

I stated that buying a product based on patriotism rather than it being the best product for your needs is a terrible reason to buy anything. And that remains true.
    Yes you did. Ain't no sugar coating it.

Ah I see, so its not up to other people what THEIR individual "needs" are, its up to you telling them how to buy. Yes I get it and you just made it clear.....only you can tell people what their best needs are and no one is allowed to buy for Patriotic reasons because you know best what others want for themselves.

04-10-16 04:05 AM
    Yes you did. Ain't no sugar coating it.

Ah I see, so its not up to other people what THEIR individual "needs" are, its up to you telling them how to buy. Yes I get it and you just made it clear.....only you can tell people what their best needs are and no one is allowed to buy for Patriotic reasons because you know best what others want for themselves.
    Finished?

This is what I wrote: "I'm not Canadian. I buy things that work best for me. I certainly don't buy anything, or persuade others to buy stuff, for reasons of patriotism."

You don't have to invent things I might have said. It's up there. People can read it for themselves.

Oh, and if you wanted the debate at this level, my flag is definitely bigger than your flag!
    04-10-16 04:11 AM
    Finished?
    Nope, I am buying a new couch this week and I REALLY REALLY NEED you to please tell me what colour I should buy please please PLEASE!!!!!!

04-10-16 04:13 AM
    Nope, I am buying a new couch this week and I REALLY REALLY NEED you to please tell me what colour I should buy please please PLEASE!!!!!!
    Throwing a tantrum like a two-year old doesn't really aid your argument. But, carry on, as I'm sure you will.
    TgeekB, TGR1 and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    04-10-16 04:17 AM
    Throwing a tantrum like a two-year old doesn't really aid your argument. But, carry on, as I'm sure you will.
    I really value your opinion now because you see....I was thinking about buying that couch from a Canadian company. Ok well I don't know what I will do without you telling me what to buy now but I'll survive

04-10-16 04:19 AM
    Being a proud Canadian I always felt better to buy a Canadian product and also liked the product BlackBerry produced however over the years went stagnant for a lot of reasons I am sure people on these threads will have their own ideas why and yes I purchased an iPhone an American product and feel better about that although like BlackBerry most of their devices /parts are made off shore for some reason I could never buy a Samsung although a nice popular device and I do drive past the BlackBerry buildings in Waterloo sometimes and think what a once Great Canadian business they once were and how many Great local employees they once had .
    04-10-16 05:32 AM
    most of their devices /parts are made off shore for some reason .
    our iphones are made in China, and likely our Blackberries in Mexico. These countries likely don't have powerful unions that drive up the wages and then it costs so much to produce totally "in house." I bet that if an iphone was fully made in California it would cost over $1300 for the average consumer, maybe more.

Agree about Samsung.

wilber1 likes this.
    04-10-16 05:41 AM

Good friggin point why don't they do that? I never understood what BlackBerry is doing most times, I guess it's a good thing they fired off all those people then because what do they have to lose.

The power of the force and the  passport.
    04-10-16 06:22 AM
    Well I think I did a heck of a part I have 7 BlackBerry 10 devices, 4 10s,a z30and two passports. I as well use to pass the blackberry office now for leased in mississauga unfortunately.

The power of the force and the  passport.
    nickelodeon008 likes this.
    04-10-16 06:30 AM
    And you were correct. He couldn't help himself and continued the childish tantrum.

I agree with you. I do not buy products because of Patriotism. I buy products that work best for me and there is nothing wrong with that.

Note that I also did not say everyone should do it, just as you didn't.
    DrBoomBotz, JeepBB and TGR1 like this.
    04-10-16 07:35 AM
123 123 ...