Please excuse my ignorance but I have an open ended question regarding news that Ryan Seacrest has invested 1 Million of his own dollars into a company that is selling a blatant ripoff of the BlackBerry Q10 keyboard.

Incase you haven't heard here is the article . Ryan Seacrest drops $1 million into iPhone keyboard when he could just use a BlackBerry instead | CrackBerry.com

Exhibit A)
    The groves between the rows of keys is identical, the shape of the keys are identical.

Attachment 227545 VS Attachment 227534

Now look at the image they released to the press, ring a few bells?

Attachment 227548 VS Doesn't BlackBerry have grounds for a lawsuit here?-typo-keyboard-iphone-ryan-seacrest.jpg
    12-06-13 03:31 PM
    id say probably not. It might look the same but i would bet there is something that makes it unique enough to keep lawsuits from happening
    12-06-13 03:35 PM
    Any company can sue any other company. BlackBerry is a great case example. Google "NTP" - RIM to Pay NTP $612.5 Million To Settle BlackBerry Patent Suit - WSJ.com

If they feel they have a case, I am sure the remaining C-level office - chief legal officer Steven Zipperstein - will bring a case. In his free time when his team isn't working on the class action lawsuits against BlackBerry.
    12-06-13 03:35 PM
    id say probably not. It might look the same but i would bet there is something that makes it unique enough to keep lawsuits from happening
    Also, it depends on whether BlackBerry has a design patent on its keyboard. You can copy anything you want as long as it's not patented.
    12-06-13 03:44 PM
    Well they have a patent on this one
    http://m.crackberry.com/rim-granted-...berry-keyboard
    Maybe they also have some more types of keyboards patented

Posted via CB10
    12-06-13 03:54 PM
    Here's a novel thought... On the off chance that this keyboard does indeed conflict with BBRY's patent for "A keyboard designed for thumbs"... Who's to say they didn't actually PAY BRRY for a patent license to make it all legal?

Why the automatic assumption that any mobile keyboard for any platform other than BB or Motorola didn't first go through the proper steps to make them legal?

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta
    eldricho and Bsbudd like this.
    12-06-13 03:58 PM
    The arrangement of the letters is suspiciously the same as a Blackberry keyboard, e.g. "QWERTYUIOP" - The rows are identical. This device must be modeled after a Blackberry.
    cgk likes this.
    12-06-13 04:02 PM
    Here's a novel thought... On the off chance that this keyboard does indeed conflict with BBRY's patent for "A keyboard designed for thumbs"... Who's to say they didn't actually PAY BRRY for a patent license to make it all legal?

Why the automatic assumption that any mobile keyboard for any platform other than BB or Motorola didn't first go through the proper steps to make them legal?

Well, for starters,.. because they needed a million bucks from Ryan Seacrest...

I doubt BlackBerry would license it's one-remaining flagship feature for less than a million dollars.

Posted via CB10
    R Field likes this.
    12-06-13 04:06 PM
    Well they have a patent on this one
    RIM granted patent for angular BlackBerry keyboard | CrackBerry.com
    Maybe they also have some more types of keyboards patented

Posted via CB10
    They probably do, but how old are the patents? In the United States, design patents expire after 14 years.
    12-06-13 04:15 PM
    I'd say no grounds for a lawsuit , but then again I do not personally know the specific patents BlackBerry has for its keyboards. Are the frets patented? I would assume not.

I agree through, there is no question that it is very close in form to the Q10 keyboard and copies its design. There are other keyboard phones out there but this typo one no doubt takes it styling from the Q10.
    12-06-13 04:18 PM
    Well, for starters,.. because they needed a million bucks from Ryan Seacrest...

I doubt BlackBerry would license it's one-remaining flagship feature for less than a million dollars.

Posted via CB10
    Doesn't matter if it was 1 million or 3 billion. They wouldn't have put a lump sum price tag on it. BB would take a cut of every sale as per a licensing agreement. That's usually how patent licensing works.

12-06-13 04:20 PM
    Doesn't matter if it was 1 million or 3 billion. They wouldn't have put a lump sum price tag on it. BB would take a cut of every sale as per a licensing agreement. That's usually how patent licensing works.

In that case, this is good news for BlackBerry? Lol..

I doubt they would allow this without them mentioning it was BlackBerry 'technology'.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-13 04:24 PM
    In that case, this is good news for BlackBerry? Lol..

I doubt they would allow this without them mentioning it was BlackBerry 'technology'.

Posted via CB10
    Assuming there was a patent license (as this is just supposition anyway) usually any mention or recognition would be buried in fine print within a user manual or something similar.

12-06-13 04:32 PM

I think we assume they stole it because that's how Apple would do it and a lot of people have followed in those footsteps but Apple popularized it. Simply put: "Copy now, pay patent license later".

Posted via CB Forums iOS app
    ital1 likes this.
    12-06-13 04:36 PM
    I think we assume they stole it because that's how Apple would do it and a lot of people have followed in those footsteps but Apple popularized it. Simply put: "Copy now, pay patent license later".

Posted via CB Forums iOS app
    Except that this isn't an Apple manufactured product. And no, other businesses don't flock to the Apple mentality. (not to mention that assuming Apple steals everything is a bit of a stretch)

Last edited by DenverRalphy; 12-06-13 at 04:52 PM.
    12-06-13 04:40 PM
    well-- we don't know if BB has a patent on it-and if they do, they will probably get paid to allow this..
    12-06-13 04:46 PM
    Years ago I doubted BBRY, worldwide leader in mobile device e-mail, would launch a tablet without a native e-mail app. So stranger things have happened.
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    12-06-13 04:58 PM
    I remember when Samsung got sued by Apple and Apple won.
    After case was dismissed, apple stock went down and samsung stock went up.
    Would this happens to BlackBerry if they sued the maker and win the case?

Better android than android. The future is black....
    12-06-13 05:31 PM
    Even if they did, BlackBerry doesn't have a massive history of going after patent cases and I kinda doubt they'll start. Legal battles are expensive, timely and well... in this case you're taking on a company that, at least seems, to be not exactly *rich* in the first place. It's not like they're MS with coffers full of $$.
    12-06-13 05:33 PM
    They probably do, but how old are the patents? In the United States, design patents expire after 14 years.
    I would assume less than 10 atleast, cause the first modern BlackBerry's had keyboards that differed from the ones that the devices came out with these last 5 years. I would assume they are less than 7 years old (if they even exist)

Posted via CB10
    12-06-13 05:49 PM
    Even if they did, BlackBerry doesn't have a massive history of going after patent cases and I kinda doubt they'll start. Legal battles are expensive, timely and well... in this case you're taking on a company that, at least seems, to be not exactly *rich* in the first place. It's not like they're MS with coffers full of $$.
    True....but it would be nice to see Seacrest have to file for bankruptcy.

Lol. We all know he himself goes down a lot. Haha...i kid kid.
    12-06-13 05:55 PM