1. T
    I see a lot of people have inexpensive plans with low voice minutes (e.g. 300 minutes) included. As much as I'm envious of their low costs (I would love to pay just $30/mo) I do wonder how anyone gets by with such little talk minutes. Doesn't anyone make phone calls? I think I'd go crazy having to watch my minutes, lol. Here's my past twelve months' voice usage:

On the other hand, check out my low data usage:

I did nevertheless look at my voice usage for the current month, and it looks like it might end up a record low. I'm fifteen days into the billing cycle, and I've only used 300 of my unlimited talk minutes.
    01-21-12 02:08 PM
    I talk quite a bit but mainly with other TMO users or on the weekends/night slots that don't count against my anytime minutes. I have 500 anytime minutes which is more than enough.
    01-21-12 02:13 PM
  3. T
    I'll have to look into and analyze that. I haven't really paid attention to what time(s) of the day most of my minutes are used, but I think they're mostly during the day.
    01-21-12 02:15 PM
    I think the free mobile to mobile is helping keeping the minutes low. With more and more people disconnecting their landline and having mobile phones having larger minute bundles is less needed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-21-12 02:21 PM
  5. T
    Hmmm, yes. I see that "any mobile any time" feature on the Sprint web site. I'll have to call up and ask what that's all about. Are calls to any carriers' mobile phones included? If so, I'm downgrading this plan right away. Most of my calls are to mobile phones. Then again, what about incoming? Are those always free/included?
    Last edited by Tnis; 01-21-12 at 02:25 PM.
    01-21-12 02:23 PM
  6. T
    Hmmm. Just found the answers to a few of my questions. From the Sprint site:

"Any Mobile, AnytimeTM

Unlimited domestic calls from the Sprint network to and from ANY U.S. mobile phone regardless of carrier. Any network, any time,"

and:

"What you can do with it

Forget about restrictive calling circles..
    Call any mobile, anytime while on the Sprint Network.
    Access to over 250 million U.S. mobile phones nationwide.

"Applies when directly dialing/receiving standard voice calls between domestic wireless numbers as determined when the call is placed using independent third-party and Sprint databases. Available with select Sprint plans and while on the Nationwide Sprint or Nextel National Networks (excludes voicemail, 411 and other indirect methods)."

Perhaps I'm on the wrong plan. Could there be a price to be paid for ignorance?
    01-21-12 02:31 PM
  7. T
    Then again upon taking a closer look, it appears the savings wouldn't be too great on a downgrade. "Any mobile any time" is only available on Sprint's next cheapest plan:

01-21-12 02:38 PM
  8. T
    Oh, wait a minute ... Yes, it would if I went with the 450 minutes. Savings of $30/mo!
    01-21-12 02:40 PM
    I almost never use voice anymore. I am 1000 times more likely to send a text, use BBM or email.
    01-21-12 04:39 PM
    I rarely use voice minutes. I have UNL now,but i'm downgrading to 500 min. Even that is way too much for me. I rarely use over 200 minutes a month (that includes tmo-tmo min, weekend, anytime, etc>.

Data, on the other hand, I use a bit more...but I rarely even get to 200 meg a month..but i'm hesistant to switch TO the 200 meg a month from the 2 gig just in case i do, so I decided to keep that data plan.

Texts and BBMs and emails I use the most out of anything.
    01-21-12 07:18 PM
    yeah I have the 450 min plan and I'm fine with that. people are def using less and less voice. A few years back I had the 1500 mins plan with unlimited nights an weekends and I kept going over.
    01-21-12 07:28 PM
    many people are paying far more than they have to for cell service (myself included)

I negotiated my rate down as some months I am using upwards of 3000 minutes of peak time non local calling,

I encourage everyone to look at their phone plans on a quarterly basis and evaluate their usage, Many Enterprise customers pay for Unlimited or ultra high data cap plans because the sales people sell them that, when in fact they could say 5-10 per user by buying data restrictive plans
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-21-12 07:30 PM
    I average about 60-80 mins per month. The majority of my communication is done by text/email.
    Last edited by MartyMcfly; 01-21-12 at 09:10 PM.
    01-21-12 07:35 PM
    I had to call in for my now dead 9930 and the rep said "Wow, you don't talk at all!" I'm on a 700 min family share with 3 phones and we average about 200 voice a month total!
    01-21-12 08:56 PM
    I just recently started using it and more time is wasted helping one person troubleshoot why the others can't hear him/her than needed. I've also encountered button mashers and people who sing (poorly) along with their bg music. More of a hassle than it is useful.
    01-21-12 09:07 PM
    I may be old school but I still use my BB primarily as a phone. I keep my texting and BBMing to a minimum. The way I see it, if you can take the time to text me a message than you can take the time to dial my number.
    01-21-12 09:17 PM
    And from another perspective ....

1. You might be too busy or not able to talk to me on the phone but you might be able to receive a text message or email.

2. I might be up at midnight wanting to contact you and give you information that you need but you are asleep. But at 7am you will be awake and can receive the information, but at that time I might be asleep.

It's not always about being able to "take the time".
    01-21-12 09:31 PM
    Very well said.....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-21-12 09:37 PM
    i have always had my 450 minute plan and never gone over, but also unlimited sms and data so i used those far more often
    01-21-12 09:48 PM

1. You might be too busy or not able to talk to me on the phone but you might be able to receive a text message or email.

2. I might be up at midnight wanting to contact you and give you information that you need but you are asleep. But at 7am you will be awake and can receive the information, but at that time I might be asleep.

I agree with both your points and I do use texting, bbm and email in situations like you mentioned but I was refering to general communication. If I wanna say hi to someone, ask someone how they're doin or to make plans with someone I'm gonna call them on he phone.
    Last edited by up488; 01-21-12 at 10:03 PM.
    01-21-12 09:58 PM
    That's fine.

And in the same situations you mentioned, I would prefer to just text or BBM unless I absolutely know that they can take my phone call.
    01-21-12 10:48 PM
    I call on weekends. I use most of my 450 too every month. Of course VZW to VZW is unlimited.
    01-22-12 07:26 AM
    I do as it's my only phone. I use to have 1,000 minutes and never even came close to using them with free incoming, mobile to mobile and nights and weekends. Now on a 450 plan. One thing I love about uscellular is everything incoming is free.
    01-22-12 07:40 AM
    I've got unlimited voice on VZW....I've got unlimited voice and data on AT&T...I talk and consume data.....a lot.
    01-22-12 08:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD