Say I have a Storm 2, and it is not currently activated on VZW network. Will the wifi still work?

Same question with an iphone.... even if the phone has been reported lost or stolen, can it stil be used as an itouch type device?

Just curious....
    12-22-09 03:42 AM
    I'm pretty sure that it will. You can turn off the mobile network completely and still use wifi.

Off course your just going to have browser. No push email, SMS, phone, etc.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-22-09 06:04 AM
    and if the phone is lost or stolen i would hope that you return it.
    12-22-09 07:26 AM
    Of course if I found a phone I would try to return it. What I am referring to is a friend lost his phone at work....auto manufacturing. Phone fell out of pocket into a car on shipping line. He waited a few days and no one found it so he did the lost phone thing with insurance. About two weeks later the phone was returned to the plant by a dealers salesman that found it.

Now he has an extra phone.... What, if anything, can be done with it?

I am not talk talking anything illegal or immoral here. I wouldn't do that....

12-22-09 10:18 AM
    Of course if I found a phone I would try to return it. What I am referring to is a friend lost his phone at work....auto manufacturing. Phone fell out of pocket into a car on shipping line. He waited a few days and no one found it so he did the lost phone thing with insurance. About two weeks later the phone was returned to the plant by a dealers salesman that found it.

I like hearing about this sort of thing when people do the right thing.
    12-22-09 10:30 AM
    Being that he lost the phone and filed a claim through his insurance - he needs to return the phone to the insurance company as it rightfully belongs to them. Same as if he damaged the phone and filed a claim - they would want you to return the damaged phone after you got your replacement.
    The phone has more than likely been blacklisted at this point anyway so other than using it as described by grayzweb it becomes a paperweight (can't be reactivated if sold).
    Hopefully he does the right thing with it.
    12-22-09 10:31 AM
    The wifi still works with a bad esn. If you install a skype app on it you can at least have a hotspot phone which is pretty cool.

12-22-09 10:33 AM
    What is this ...everyone now preaching morals . If I find a blackberry the last thing I would do is search for the owner. Finders keepers.
    12-22-09 12:03 PM

Wow, this is a little hard to believe. Not calling you a lier in any way. It's just amazing.

Phone falls into car unnoticed... No one else down the assembly line notices the phone... (Btw, who's doing quality control at this plant...). The car is driven by several people, as it's being transported to the dealer... No one notices... And finally, an "honest salesman" finds it and returns it...

Considering that most salesman would sell their Grandma if they were on commission, you gotta admit that this is hard sell.

Seriously, if I saw this in a movie I would be calling BS. Good story though!
    12-22-09 12:15 PM
    I got my storm2 the other day and set up the wifi before activating the phone and it DID work.
    12-22-09 12:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD