Can anyone tell me?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-27-09 11:59 AM
    Wifi doesn't use a lot of battery even when it's being used - way less than 3G - so that's a no for when it's not connected.

Not sure what you mean by when bluetooth's not connected - as in, has BT capability, but not even turned on? Definitely not using battery if not enabled.
    06-27-09 12:24 PM
    If I enable bluetooth, but it doesn't connect to my device

06-27-09 12:50 PM
    Neither of them will waste battery if not connected.
    06-27-09 12:52 PM
    I turn off wifi and BT when not using them for a simple reason.

If wifi radio is on but not on your router, it will continue to poll here and there listening to see if your router is in the area now. Waking up to poll will use a bit of energy. If it's off, there is no polling.

BT is the same way.. if it's on, it's listening for connections.

GPS I sometimes turn off, but not as much because unlike the other 2, it doesn't need to "listen" for a connection unless you're actively running a program.
    06-27-09 12:55 PM
    BT can waste some energy b/c it is looking for new devices, but wifi doesn't waste that much. If you connect to wifi when browsing, the battery loss will even out to if you just had 3G the whole time.
    06-27-09 12:57 PM
    Well I'm away for the summer in a non-3G area so, using the new feature on os 282, I turned off 3G

06-27-09 01:05 PM
    BT can waste some energy b/c it is looking for new devices, but wifi doesn't waste that much. If you connect to wifi when browsing, the battery loss will even out to if you just had 3G the whole time.
    Bluetooth doesn't look for devices unless you prompt it to search for devices.
    And if you already have a device connected to it and the device is off, then
    once it's turned on BT will connect to it right away.
    06-27-09 01:14 PM
    Omg I'd love to be able to shut off 3G... How do you do that?

Well I'm away for the summer in a non-3G area so, using the new feature on os 282, I turned off 3G

06-27-09 01:26 PM
    The new os .282 has the open to turn it off. Under manage connections>mobile network options! Hope that helps!

06-27-09 04:47 PM
    *gasp* must... Upgrade...

06-27-09 04:49 PM
    And how does the phone's BT know that the device is there? Because its searching...
    06-27-09 05:10 PM
    Wifi on, BT off and no battery life issues.
    06-27-09 05:12 PM
    And how does the phone's BT know that the device is there? Because its searching...
    It searches for those few seconds that you turn power on the BT headset.
    The phone doesn't constantly search for devices unless prompted by the user.
    06-27-09 05:15 PM
    I leave wifi on constantly and my battery life is very good! Running .282 here

06-27-09 05:31 PM
    It searches for those few seconds that you turn power on the BT headset.
    The phone doesn't constantly search for devices unless prompted by the user.
    How would the phone know that the BT headset has been turned on? Because the phone's BT is creating a PAN looking for its paired device.

When you turn on your headset, it starts sending out its BT signal. What's the phone using to see that signal and connect instantly? C'mon, this is just common sense. It can't see something unless its looking...

At work, I often help people pair their Blackberries and headsets. It's surprising how many times I will detect another phone that is openly broadcasting BT
    06-27-09 05:56 PM
    I turned off BT, WiFi, and GPS after about a week of owning my Bold. HUGE difference in battery life. I only turn them on when I need to use them, which for me is only a few times a week.

06-27-09 06:48 PM
    The new os .282 has the open to turn it off. Under manage connections>mobile network options! Hope that helps!

ive always had this option! unless its a new thing for AT&T?
    o2 uk always has it
    06-27-09 06:54 PM
    how do u disable the gps in .282?
    06-27-09 07:18 PM
    Options > Advanced Options > GPS > GPS Services - Location Off

06-27-09 08:25 PM
    It uses zero battery when not in use. I wouldn't turn it off.
    06-27-09 08:34 PM
    That's not entirely true. If you have apps that use gps then it will burn your battery. For instance I have google maps and even when not using my phone much (i.e. Work) it would destroy my battery. Turned off GPS and it was like night and day. 10-20% more battery after my shift at work. Then again maybe I'm just a freak example.

06-27-09 08:40 PM
    That's not entirely true. If you have apps that use gps then it will burn your battery. For instance I have google maps and even when not using my phone much (i.e. Work) it would destroy my battery. Turned off GPS and it was like night and day. 10-20% more battery after my shift at work. Then again maybe I'm just a freak example.

If you don't actually close Google Maps, then not only do you
    have a running app, but you have a running app that uses GPS for location.

Now if you're saying you have it completely closed and the GPS off, then yeah,
    freak example.
    06-27-09 08:46 PM

That would be considered in use. Mine has always been on and I have adjusted all settings where it's not used in the background. Never, ever an issue. Maybe your settings are letting it run, or apps are running in the background. To put it simply, the GPS radio is a passive receiver. The apps use the juice, and the radio usage is negligible.
    06-27-09 08:47 PM
    really? I didn't know that. Maybe they have made some changes to the bluetooth system. When I had my old old phone 2.5 years ago I accidentally left BT on and the battery died in like 5mins (exaggeration). I haven't tried leaving it on lately though. TY for the info
    06-27-09 09:07 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD