This might be a dumb question, but I am running a 9650 with Sprint. When I turn on wifi, the 1XEV is still there. I was just wondering if I were to walk out of the house and forgot to turn the wifi off and there is no wifi connection, does the 3G automatically take over? Will I still get emails?

Thanks
    09-06-11 07:02 PM
    When your connected to wi-fi all your data will go through wi-fi unless you lose wi-fi then your data will automagically go through your wireless network. It still shows your 1XEV because phone calls will not go through wi-fi. If I helped click mah Thanks button!
    jwang217 likes this.
    09-06-11 07:10 PM
    When your connected to wi-fi all your data will go through wi-fi unless you lose wi-fi then your data will automagically go through your wireless network. If I helped click mah Thanks button!
    There you go Danny. My second question is if I were to leave wifi on when I leave home, would my cell phone constantly be searching for wifi? Would that drain my battery?
    09-06-11 07:12 PM
    I believe that when you leave the house and leave wi-fi on it wont be trying to connect to your preferred wi-fi network but will be constantly refreshing available networks thus draining your battery.... you know where that trusty Thanks button is! LOL, hope I helped! Take care!
    09-06-11 07:14 PM
    if you are home and on 1XEV with wifi on, with your data set to "wifi preferred", your BB data will divert from 1X or EV (3G) and go over wifi only. you can test this by leaving your cell network off and keeping your wifi on. all your BB data (apps, BBM and email) will fully work over wifi only. once wifi loses the connection, lets say you walk out of your house, it will transfer all data through the cell network instead of wifi....a seamless transfer. so yes, when you are home and on wifi, it is handling all data for your phone but of course the cell network (3G or 1X) will still be there showing its still connected to transmit all text messages or voice calls (because they arent sent via wifi).

as for your second question, i leave wifi on 24/7 only because i know im always around a wireless network to connect to (work and home). being connected to a strong wifi signal actually saves battery life, as the phone doesnt have toi struggle to stay connected to a weak tower signal for data. if you know as a fact you are in a spot with no wifi and you will be for awhile, turn it off....it couldnt hurt. but like i said, i leave mine on all the time....connected or not. i dont see it effect my battery that much.
    09-07-11 03:00 AM
    Leaving WiFi on 24/7 will not result significant changes in battery life. I'm on 9700 and have done some comparison. I'm sure there will be difference. It's just not significant.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-07-11 10:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD