Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum and I've been looking around for the information above. I've found someone on eBay who has an unlocked version of the Bold 9780 and claims the 3G will work in the U.S. for AT&T. I don't know a lot about the frequency stuff. Will I lose BBM or VVM? They have great feedback...if anyone can look into it for me and let me know, I'd really appreciate it! I really want this phone! Thanks!

This is what they have in the description: Brand New BlackBerry Bold 9780 Black. Bell FULLY UNLOCKED and ready to use anywhere and on any network. HSDPA (3G) frequency is 850/1900 Mhz. Work 3G with at&t in the USA, New Zealand, Australia, Chile and other countries.
    02-26-11 02:55 PM
    An unlocked Bell, Telus and Rogers all from Canada will give you full 3G service on AT&T. You will not lose BBM, however you will lose AT&T VVM. Now you can modify some .axl files and get the VVM to work. Make sure that it is not a T-Mobile device because that will only give you 2G service on AT&T. Once you get the device, log into your AT&T BIS account, connect the device and once the PIN is recognized, you can move your email to that device. Also, make sure you send the AT&T service books to the new device. On a side note, since AT&T has not officially released the 9780, it will appear as a BlackBerry Pearl. That is normal so don't be worried if you see that. If you have any other questions or concerns, ask.
    Wolffy0917 likes this.
    02-26-11 03:07 PM
    An unlocked Bell, Telus and Rogers all from Canada will give you full 3G service on AT&T. You will not lose BBM, however you will lose AT&T VVM. Now you can modify some .axl files and get the VVM to work. Make sure that it is not a T-Mobile device because that will only give you 2G service on AT&T. Once you get the device, log into your AT&T BIS account, connect the device and once the PIN is recognized, you can move your email to that device. Also, make sure you send the AT&T service books to the new device. On a side note, since AT&T has not officially released the 9780, it will appear as a BlackBerry Pearl. That is normal so don't be worried if you see that. If you have any other questions or concerns, ask.
    Wait, you have an official AT&T branded 9780? Tell me your secret!!! haha
    02-26-11 03:48 PM
    Virgin Mobile Canada will work as well...
    02-26-11 06:50 PM
    It worka for me, I'm using and unlocked 9780.

The only thing that doesn't work is that you can't connect to the free ATT Wifi they have around the US.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-27-11 10:43 AM
    Wait, you have an official AT&T branded 9780? Tell me your secret!!! haha
    Sorry, no can do. But I assure you it is an officially AT&T branded 9780 with the AT&T flash at the start and shut down screen and logo on the bezel. There are several forum users that have them. The downside...since AT&T has not officially released the 9780, if I have an issue, I can't really look for them to offer tech support.
    02-27-11 11:02 AM
    It worka for me, I'm using and unlocked 9780.

The only thing that doesn't work is that you can't connect to the free ATT Wifi they have around the US.

Really???, I had a Telus 9780 and was using on A&T and had no problem at all connecting to AT&T wifi. Do you have all the proper AT&T service books?
    02-27-11 11:04 AM
    Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum and I've been looking around for the information above. I've found someone on eBay who has an unlocked version of the Bold 9780 and claims the 3G will work in the U.S. for AT&T. I don't know a lot about the frequency stuff. Will I lose BBM or VVM? They have great feedback...if anyone can look into it for me and let me know, I'd really appreciate it! I really want this phone! Thanks!

This is what they have in the description: Brand New BlackBerry Bold 9780 Black. Bell FULLY UNLOCKED and ready to use anywhere and on any network. HSDPA (3G) frequency is 850/1900 Mhz. Work 3G with at&t in the USA, New Zealand, Australia, Chile and other countries.
    9780 works on both AT&T and T-Mobile 3G systems it supports HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100 and HSDPA 900 / 1700 / 2100
    04-20-11 01:38 PM
    I've wondered the same thing...good to know.

04-20-11 01:40 PM
    Hey! does anyone know if a T Mobile 9780 can work on 3G networks?
    Mine seems to work only on EDGE.
    Someone told me to reboot the phone with a different OS. Is that going to work?
    05-17-11 09:44 AM
    How does one go about sending service books from one phone to another? I'm looking to switch from my 9800 to an unlocked 9780 and I doubt AT&T folks would help me with the transfer.

05-24-11 11:20 PM
    Hey! does anyone know if a T Mobile 9780 can work on 3G networks?
    Mine seems to work only on EDGE.
    Someone told me to reboot the phone with a different OS. Is that going to work?
    NO. the t-mobile branded 9780 will only get 3G on t-mobiles network, or anyone else using 1700 mhz. if used on at&t, all you will get is EDGE. if you want 3G on at&t, you will need a 9780 that covers 850/1900, like a Rogers branded one.
    05-25-11 12:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD