Hi guys,

I'm thinking about going with a carrier that supports UMA over my Wi-Fi. I will be getting SmartWifi to automatically connect me to my wifi and then disconnect me once I leave its range.

What I am wondering is that when I turn on my Wi-fi and UMA becomes active will it disconnect my 3G? Seeing as there would be no need for me to be using 3G at that time.

Thanks
    08-09-10 05:42 PM
    UMA is WiFi calling over the internet. If you disconnect from the WiFi, you most likely will cycle through GPRS/EDGE to 3G. The connect/disconnect is not always smooth with UMA. You will need to make sure your handover point is set properly to help make a better transition.
    08-09-10 06:55 PM
    UMA is designed to support both your carrier and Wifi. If you have an adequate signal strength from your Wifi souce, you will have UMA.

If the signal drops below a threshold, your call/data switch to your carrier automatically.

If you were to switch off the carrier network, your would experience dropped calls as you move out of Wifi range.
    08-10-10 10:39 AM
    As Reed said, your device will move from UMA to 3g (or EDGE) - I find it to be seamless with my home WiFi. I have found WiFi to be faster than 3g so my BlackBerry is set to WiFi preferred with the provider network and WiFi checked on the Manage Connections screen..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-10 11:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD