Gentlemen!

Looking at smartphones and I love what the Torch has to offer.

Not having access to a free GPS / Driving directions would be a deal killer for me.

And I'm not paying AT&T for it - so you experts.......looking to buy through Amazon tomorrow if you guys say it has it / or an app for it.

ALso - does the torch have text to speech and voice search?

I really like this phone......

Advice needed soon to keep me from going Android or Windows.....
    11-13-10 10:53 PM
    yes and yes
    11-13-10 11:04 PM
    Yes to.........?

(GPS and driving directions) or (Text to Speech and Voice Search)

?

If it's yes to GPS / Driving, what program is it on the phone? You're talking seperate from the AT&T app right?

If so - cool.......I'm ordering up!
    11-13-10 11:12 PM
    Blackberry Maps (AT&T hides access but there is a work around - search the forum for BB Maps launcher) and as another option you can download Google Maps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-13-10 11:32 PM
    Blackberry Maps does but provide voice turn-by-turn directions and I'm pretty sure that is what the OP is looking for.

11-14-10 12:47 AM
    im interested in this thing to im looking for a free map or and app like an gps i dont wanna spend another 7$ for an app that dosent work and also i have a GPS in my car but i would like to use my phone as an GPS it looks better in my iGrip case

If any one know a link or something please let us know THANK YOU !!
    11-14-10 02:06 AM
    Waze, supports voice turn by turn, just no street names
    11-14-10 02:27 AM
    yes but waze need data plan in order to work
    11-14-10 02:35 AM
    yes but waze need data plan in order to work
    Of course it does. It needs to download map updates as you move.

Google Maps does the same thing but this does not yet provide spoken turn by turn instructions.

I am not sure if BlackBerry Maps does this either - never used it.

Garmin sell a very good Blackberry turn by turn GPS but this too requires a data plan.

If you do not have a data plan then you really should get one.
    11-14-10 03:21 AM
    They all will.

11-14-10 04:08 AM
    I've heard that the google maps app isn't working well with the os6 in the Torch - any truth to that?

Is the blackberry maps free? Does it give driving directions (I dont care if it talks)?

(And yes - I'm getting a data plan - I wouldnt do otherwise with a phone like this!)
    Last edited by Soderholmd; 11-14-10 at 10:28 AM.
    11-14-10 10:21 AM
    - Google Maps works fine on OS6.
    - Blackberry Maps is free from RIM.
    Both provide on screen map route and on screen turn by turn directions (not spoken).

- There are a couple free apps for text to speech that work. (Drivesafley, Vlingo)
    - Google Mobile App allows you to type or give spoken queries for internet searching.
    - The phone has a built in voice dialing app.
    11-14-10 10:51 AM
    Damn - I'm going for the 1cent Amazon deal - Great Info - thanks guys! I'll check back when I receive my phone....

I sure love forum boards.....lol!
    11-14-10 10:54 AM
    I find google maps work so much better than blackberry map. And it runs perfectly fine with OS6. Very smooth and accurate.
    11-14-10 02:48 PM
    Excellent! Is the 2GB plan / mo. from At&T enough data to be comfortable with?
    11-14-10 02:51 PM
    Yes. You are not limited to only 2G. If you go over they add another 2G for like 10 - 15 for that month. You should not have issues unless you strart streaming music or videos. You can always check your data usage via the predefined contact. It will sent you a text for free with details...

11-14-10 02:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD