I have a blackberry with verizon 3g network. My signal inside the home is weak but it is there most of the time. My question is, if I buy a signal amplifier for my home, will it work with 3g and a cdma smartphone?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-09-11 11:17 AM
    If the signal amplifier works anything like UMA, then yes, it will.
    01-09-11 11:34 AM
    If the signal amplifier works anything like UMA, then yes, it will.
    Ok, I'm a newbie so bear with me. What is uma?

01-09-11 11:41 AM
    I have a blackberry with verizon 3g network. My signal inside the home is weak but it is there most of the time. My question is, if I buy a signal amplifier for my home, will it work with 3g and a cdma smartphone?

I have played with several Wilson amplifiers for my home office and they do work but require a lot of effort to correctly setup an attic or exterior antenna, like a yagi and also mean you have to use very specific low-loss cable to really get it to work well.

The other alternative is a cool box that both Verizon and Sprint (CDMA) offer called Airave built by Samsung. On the surface this looks to operate similar to the T-Mobile UMA.

I have the Sprint Airave and I get five bars all the time in my home office with it and one bar maybe without it. This box creates a cell tower in your home office that works on all (Sprint) in my case phones that get close enough to get the signal. I actually limit it to only the numbers that are on my account to keep other neighbors off of it.

The manual says it does not create a 3G tower, however most of the time by 9650 shows 3G while on it (1XEV).
    Last edited by CatManBB; 01-09-11 at 11:56 AM.
    01-09-11 11:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD