Apple seems to be slipping in regard to the spec war too. They just came out with their annual upgrade and are still not on pace with HTC. That being said I find the apple 4 more appealing than the incredible or evo.
    What is not on pace? Last I saw the screen has a better resolution, a 1Ghz Apple A4 processor, a gyro sensor, Wifi 802.11 n and noise cancelation for the microphone. Seems to be a little ahead or just about the same.
    06-11-10 08:16 PM
    Well avt, the screen is not better than HTC technically, just different bolstered by what steve claims from what I have read on the tech blogs. I have not seen anyone clock the A4 in the iphone at 1Ghz but would love to see your source as I am interested. I guess we can agree to disagree on noise cancellation and how revolutionary it is. Wifi 802.11n is out on the pearl and i am not blown away by the gyro sensor although it sounds very steampunkish.
    06-11-10 08:37 PM
    A lot of the wow factor is created by third party developers. RIM itself doesn't need to do much, just create a stable environment for creativity, which they've failed to do.

Is it "wow" to have an OS that doesn't leak memory?
    Is it "wow" to store apps on an SD card?
    Is it "wow" to be able to view emails in their entirety?

No, but it's these easy fixes RIM struggles with. I can live without wow if they give me something that meets standard needs. The BlackBerry OS has the same exact problems it had two years ago, and that's a problem.
    06-11-10 08:47 PM
    Well avt, the screen is not better than HTC technically, just different bolstered by what steve claims from what I have read on the tech blogs.
    Never said the screen was better. It just has a better resolution. AMOLED does have better battery life, but from what I have read the resolution is nicer.

I have not seen anyone clock the A4 in the iphone at 1Ghz but would love to see your source as I am interested.
    Well, it is suppose to be the same one in the iPad, and that is clock at 1GHz from what I remember.

I guess we can agree to disagree on noise cancellation and how revolutionary it is. Wifi 802.11n is out on the pearl and i am not blown away by the gyro sensor although it sounds very steampunkish.
    Oh I know, it's not that big of a deal, but both HTC and Apple have it. And WiFi n is out on the Pearl, I know, but these are also the frist ones to get it.

About the processor though. Even if it is not clocked at 1Ghz, I still wouldn't doubt the OS is smoother. Apple software is made for Apple hardware, and works flawlessly.
    06-11-10 08:48 PM
    Yea I read the second part and I agree with this too

If you read the second part of my post, I said RIM needs to stop producing so many builds and just stick to one, and then move on. There is no need for a beta every other hour, they should worry about keeping everything working in every release they have.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-11-10 08:50 PM
    In addition, when I look at a Droid Incredible, I'm not envious of a 5MP camera or fancy UI or better music player or in the iPhone's case, a front-facing camera.

I get jealous with Android because you don't have to worry about app space, you don't have to reboot nearly as often, there is NO lag throughout the OS - NONE, the typing does not slow down on a touchscreen like the Storms, and there are a lot more app choices than with BB.

All of the things I'm jealous of...RIM could have done easily without being wild innovators. It's really disappointing.
    06-11-10 08:52 PM
    In addition, when I look at a Droid Incredible, I'm not envious of a 5MP camera or fancy UI or better music player or in the iPhone's case, a front-facing camera.

I get jealous with Android because you don't have to worry about app space, you don't have to reboot nearly as often, there is NO lag throughout the OS - NONE, the typing does not slow down on a touchscreen like the Storms, and there are a lot more app choices than with BB.

All of the things I'm jealous of...RIM could have done easily without being wild innovators. It's really disappointing.
    You still have to worry about app space on the Android, you can run out, trust me has happened to myself and many I know on the Droid. There IS definitely OS lag, just the high end devices with the 1ghz processor dont show that on camera.
    06-11-10 08:54 PM
    "About the processor though. Even if it is not clocked at 1Ghz, I still wouldn't doubt the OS is smoother. Apple software is made for Apple hardware, and works flawlessly."

I am curious how you and others feel about this concept. I really want some advances in balance between speed and battery. I know this will get slammed endlessly but the 624 in the 9700 is really quick and my understanding is the iphone 4 is also very quick. The 9700 has intense battery life and the claim on the i4 is similar. This is one reason the new iphone really interests me. My point is, I want a balance of speed and efficiency. I mean, who can't just dump a bigger processor in a phone and watch the battery blow up. What do y'all think?
    06-11-10 09:01 PM
    You still have to worry about app space on the Android, you can run out, trust me has happened to myself and many I know on the Droid. There IS definitely OS lag, just the high end devices with the 1ghz processor dont show that on camera.
    1. No OS lag on my Droid running 2.2 w/Launcher Pro. It's not even overclocked and it's as smooth as the Incredible.

2. Apps2SD is on 2.2 now. I have less than 10 downloaded apps but it's nice knowing I can store apps on the 16GB SD card.

3. I used my friend's Storm 2 briefly on the bus home from school last month and there was lag on that. Funny thing is that my old 8900 was not even buggy like the Storm 2.
    06-11-10 09:03 PM
    Honestly you would all be surprised at how choppy Android can be even running at 1gHz. I have tried many settings, many different ROM's, many different over clock kernels and none of them operate smoothly enough at all times for me to be consistently happy. the Android OS will randomly lag while not even tasking like downloading or browsing, even with a strong processor.

Also with this whole Apps2SD thing, many of the Android developers have realized it only stores the .apk (install file) on the SD and it stores that data from the app on the device, so not truly a huge benefit.

It needs to be a good mash up of processor, OS and battery.

I really do think RIM has something good coming for us in OS6, and even more to come after that.
    06-11-10 09:05 PM
    Android may have some lag...but the performance of almost all its apps blows BB out of the water.
    06-11-10 09:14 PM
    Honestly you would all be surprised at how choppy Android can be even running at 1gHz. I have tried many settings, many different ROM's, many different over clock kernels and none of them operate smoothly enough at all times for me to be consistently happy. the Android OS will randomly lag while not even tasking like downloading or browsing, even with a strong processor.

Also with this whole Apps2SD thing, many of the Android developers have realized it only stores the .apk (install file) on the SD and it stores that data from the app on the device, so not truly a huge benefit.

It needs to be a good mash up of processor, OS and battery.

I really do think RIM has something good coming for us in OS6, and even more to come after that.
    I've run my Droid at 1GHz and never experienced any problems before. I'm just content with it at stock speed on 2.2. Not everyone's phone will operate the same way. Xliderider's Droid can't even run 2.2 properly.

And right now I have 203MB of internal storage and over 13GB of external storage. And I don't need to download any more apps.
    06-11-10 09:14 PM
    I've run my Droid at 1GHz and never experienced any problems before. I'm just content with it at stock speed on 2.2. Not everyone's phone will operate the same way. Xliderider's Droid can't even run 2.2 properly.

And right now I have 203MB of internal storage and over 13GB of external storage. And I don't need to download any more apps.
    Right, and you dont see an issue with that fact that 1 Droid runs it well, 1 wont run it at all, 1 is laggy, etc? Shouldnt the experience be the same on all Droids?
    06-11-10 09:16 PM
    Right, and you dont see an issue with that fact that 1 Droid runs it well, 1 wont run it at all, 1 is laggy, etc? Shouldnt the experience be the same on all Droids?
    I see it as user error. If thousands of other Droids can run 2.2 and his can't, it must be user error on his part.
    06-11-10 09:18 PM
    My friends cant run it properly either, and I personally loaded it. I know it wasnt user error there.
    06-11-10 09:21 PM
    "About the processor though. Even if it is not clocked at 1Ghz, I still wouldn't doubt the OS is smoother. Apple software is made for Apple hardware, and works flawlessly."

I am curious how you and others feel about this concept. I really want some advances in balance between speed and battery. I know this will get slammed endlessly but the 624 in the 9700 is really quick and my understanding is the iphone 4 is also very quick. The 9700 has intense battery life and the claim on the i4 is similar. This is one reason the new iphone really interests me. My point is, I want a balance of speed and efficiency. I mean, who can't just dump a bigger processor in a phone and watch the battery blow up. What do y'all think?
    Well Apple has been striving for better battery life. If you looked at the new specs for talk time and standby, they are incredible.
    06-11-10 09:23 PM
    My friends cant run it properly either, and I personally loaded it. I know it wasnt user error there.
    Well it is an unofficial leak so that may have something to do with it. Once 2.2 officially releases through OTA, your friends' problems may be solved.
    06-11-10 09:24 PM
    Not all are made exactly. Same can be said with BB. I remember the countless complaints from people running beta OSs and saying they had certain problems that the majority didn't. Same goes for the Droid. The majority can OC and run things properly, but the minority can't.

I have never had a problem loading a custom ROM or OCing my processor. And never had ANY lag once OCed.
    Last edited by avt123; 06-11-10 at 09:32 PM.
    06-11-10 09:28 PM
    If those numbers apple is giving us for the Iphone old up to be true and exact.... Then it's a huge improvement and should be fantastic.
    Now for the A4 processor from apple... I'm pretty that it's not 1g.... But apple doesn't need to have a 1g processor...... The iphone is one if note the smoothest running devices out there. No one could deny that.

Well Apple has been striving for better battery life. If you looked at the new specs for talk time and standby, they are incredible.
    06-11-10 09:45 PM
    If those numbers apple is giving us for the Iphone old up to be true and exact.... Then it's a huge improvement and should be fantastic.
    Now for the A4 processor from apple... I'm pretty that it's not 1g.... But apple doesn't need to have a 1g processor...... The iphone is one if note the smoothest running devices out there. No one could deny that.

That's what I'm saying (even though I do think it is 1Ghz). iOS is the smoothest OS.

And this is from the iPad page- Apple - iPad - View the technical specifications for iPad.

1GHz Apple A4 custom-designed, high-performance, low-power system-on-a-chip
    Blogs have been saying the chip in the iPhone is identical.
    06-11-10 09:49 PM
    Could be 1Ghz... I think I read it's not... But don't have any prof of this. In any case yes it's should very smooth I never tried iOS... Only tried 3.0 on a 3GS and that was supper smooth.... I could only imagine iOS . Can't wait to get it

That's what I'm saying (even though I do think it is 1Ghz). iOS is the smoothest OS.
    06-11-10 09:53 PM
    Wow! Great post! And I've enjoyed reading a few of the comments...

I will say I'm kind of on the fence about RIM needing the "wow" factor....so I'll say this...RIM, IMO, only needs to step it up(waaaay up) on the mobile browsing as far as the consumer market, and tweak a few things in the OS like adding contacts to different locations other than just work and it would hurt to have a "few" more cool apps as well(not a deal breaker though)....I don't see myself leaving the company anytime soon but I would like to see a few changes...and I, by no means, want RIM to create an OS with all that "crap" like iphone and android devices have...I actually hate Iphone's OS lol and android's OS is just aggravating to deal with

06-11-10 10:30 PM
    I have been a loyal BB user for a few years. A loyal Verizon customer since the Bell Atlantic Mobile days. My first BB was the 8330 curve, then the Tour 9630 and lastly the Storm 9550 Loved them all. BUT It's has now become time to jump ship. While i HATE to leave VZW, it's time for something new. I feel like RIM is going nowhere. I logged on to good ol Crackberry.com and read a review of a weather app called Ace Weather I believe for TWENTY DOLLARS !! It was the saddest app I think I have ever seen. And yes looks are important too. I was so aggravated the crackberry actually had reviewed this app and it made me realize the there is just nothing interesting for crackberry to blog about RIM. It's the same ol crapola. Leak after leak after leak. Every website has post and/or information about upcoming devices (that actually are released withing a month or two) and it's exciting. It's something to look forward to. I understand the this a BB site but I'm bored of RIM and I think a lot of others are as well. Every day there is some more great news about the iPhone or Android. EVERY DAY!! Blackberry? Nothing. SO...when every other platform out there has a wow factor almost every day, yes...RIM Needs a WOW factor. But IMO....it's not anywhere in sight. So it has come time for me to say farewell to RIM. At least for now, and say hello to the iPhone4. Just my opinion....
    06-11-10 11:29 PM
    Why do "consumers" always need to be "wowed"? I remember how, in seventh grade, I was invited to a classmate's birthday party. Upon arrival, I found a sizeable group huddled around a television, playing Atari. They were so excited! When it came time for my turn, I tried it and, after about five minutes, was ready to turn the joystick over to the next kid. I simply did not see what the big deal was. In fact, I found the entire experience quite dull. Anyway, I liken the others' having been "wowed" by the Atari to the typical consumer's propensity to be "wowed" by Android, Iphone, EVO, etc.

ps -- "wow factor" = hype
    Last edited by T�nis; 06-11-10 at 11:44 PM.
    06-11-10 11:35 PM
    Why do "consumers" always need to be "wowed"? I remember how, in seventh grade, I was invited to a classmate's birthday party. Upon arrival, I found a sizeable group huddled around a television, playing Atari. They were so excited! When it came time for my turn, I tried it and, after about five minutes, was ready to turn the joystick over to the next kid. I simply did not see what the big deal was. In fact, I found the entire experience quite dull. Anyway, I liken the others' having been "wowed" by the Atari to the typical consumer's propensity to be "wowed" by Android, Iphone, EVO, etc.

ps -- "wow factor" = hype
    So you should buy a phone with substandard performance because "it's all I need"?

Let's be realistic - BB is not differentiating itself into its own segment with their phones here. They are FAILING at creating phones that satisfy current demands. "Push email for business" is an excuse for poor software upgrades on RIM's part.

You're assuming all 3 phones (Android, Apple, RIM) are on a level playing field. They're not.
    06-12-10 10:06 AM
78 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD