Maybe you need to take sometime and read the manual before you use a BB. Because those things never happen to me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Then you are the ONLY one!
    06-11-10 05:53 PM
    I get it and can see why people move on. I just wish they would quietly.
    Agreed.

10char
    06-11-10 05:56 PM
    So, and correct me if I'm wrong, but you're saying that RIM should stay complacent and keep trucking along as usual? Kind of like Palm?
    06-11-10 05:56 PM
    People will go for flashy first, its a proven fact. They will look at the Android devices and iPhone, maybe even purchase. Give them some time to learn about it and they will wish they went BlackBerry, and many even go return / exchange their initial selection so they can get a BlackBerry.

Witnessed first hand, many times.
    That statement doesn't even remind me of the truth!
    06-11-10 06:02 PM
    So, and correct me if I'm wrong, but you're saying that RIM should stay complacent and keep trucking along as usual? Kind of like Palm?
    Not at all, I agree 100% that innovation and new features is a must, but I dont agree with this whole "wow" flashy earth shattering etc.

I think constant improvements will keep coming, and that is what we need.
    06-11-10 06:04 PM
    Does your head hurt from all those rolleyes you enter? Every device I used had some issue... Even the Iphone needed a restart from time to time. Battery pull on the 9700 NEVER for me... Only when installing/Deleting apps.... Memory none that I would notice... I'm always over 103 free.
    So if that makes me the Only 1... Then yes I am.

Then you are the ONLY one!
    06-11-10 06:23 PM
    Seriously one one, I would be interested in hearing what you like about your choice in phone or what you missed in the BB platform or your thoughts on the OP's original post. But, these drive by zingers with emoticons go against the spirit of the thread.
    06-11-10 06:29 PM
    Not at all, I agree 100% that innovation and new features is a must, but I dont agree with this whole "wow" flashy earth shattering etc.

I think constant improvements will keep coming, and that is what we need.
    Then you need to tell RIM to stop swinging from carriers nuts and implement their own upgrades to the public. You want quick? No such thing when a carrier is involved.

Also, these improvements you speak of. Every BB I had, and every beta release I installed had an improvement, but they also broke something else in the process. RIM needs to stop making 10000 builds a day and needs to focus, and focus hard on one build. Then move onto the next one.
    06-11-10 07:02 PM
    Then you need to tell RIM to stop swinging from carriers nuts and implement their own upgrades to the public. You want quick? No such thing when a carrier is involved.
    There would be no way for RIM to do this unless they sold unsubsidized phones, which would be a fail because everyone would complain about the prices of the device.

Thats a loss either way, sadly
    06-11-10 07:13 PM
    There would be no way for RIM to do this unless they sold unsubsidized phones, which would be a fail because everyone would complain about the prices of the device.

Thats a loss either way, sadly
    Why would they lose subsidy? Apple has subsidized devices and they do this. Android has subsidized devices, and they also do this (not all devices though).
    06-11-10 07:15 PM
    Even if did do this.... Why 48 upgrades a year?.. All that to add and fix minor things for each carrier. Honestly I never felt the difference when changing OS so I don't even bother anymore.
    I like the apple style 1 or 2 small ones during the year and 1 major one 1 a year. Simple and easy and the same across the board

06-11-10 07:21 PM
    Even if did do this.... Why 48 upgrades a year?.. All that to add and fix minor things for each carrier. Honestly I never felt the difference when changing OS so I don't even bother anymore.
    I like the apple style 1 or 2 small ones during the year and 1 major one 1 a year. Simple and easy and the same across the board

If you read the second part of my post, I said RIM needs to stop producing so many builds and just stick to one, and then move on. There is no need for a beta every other hour, they should worry about keeping everything working in every release they have.
    06-11-10 07:24 PM
    Why would they lose subsidy? Apple has subsidized devices and they do this. Android has subsidized devices, and they also do this (not all devices though).
    Apple's contract with ATT is different though. Also, they don't push out enough updates for us to know how their process works.

Android updates ARE put through carrier testing with the exception of the Nexus One which was sold unsubsidized as well as subsidized only through T-Mobile.
    06-11-10 07:25 PM
    Apple's contract with ATT is different though. Also, they don't push out enough updates for us to know how their process works.

Android updates ARE put through carrier testing with the exception of the Nexus One which was sold unsubsidized as well as subsidized only through T-Mobile.
    We do know how Apple's process works. They push out about 2 updates a year. Each has a beta phase that Developers have access to.

I know the N1 is the only one without carrier intervention, but Google is going to start having more control over the devices soon, so carriers wont be as involved. The N1 was just the beginning. Only Android devices that aren't labeled "with Google" will have the slow updates.
    06-11-10 07:32 PM
    We do know how Apple's process works. They push out about 2 updates a year. Each has a beta phase that Developers have access to.

I know the N1 is the only one without carrier intervention, but Google is going to start having more control over the devices soon, so carriers wont be as involved. The N1 was just the beginning. Only Android devices that aren't labeled "with Google" will have the slow updates.
    Yes, Apple's beta just stays behind the scenes, BlackBerry ones leak more frequently. You don't think they test more then the dozen builds that developers see a year?

As for the Android and other carrier updates, I can not see any provider not having a say at what software their devices are running. They have to support these devices and their network does too, therefor testing will continue.

The Droid has "with Google" and is one of the slowest to get updates...
    06-11-10 07:36 PM
    Yes, Apple's beta just stays behind the scenes, BlackBerry ones leak more frequently. You don't think they test more then the dozen builds that developers see a year?

As for the Android and other carrier updates, I can not see any provider not having a say at what software their devices are running. They have to support these devices and their network does too, therefor testing will continue.

The Droid has "with Google" and is one of the slowest to get updates...
    BB ones leak more frequently because RIM can't keep their stuff on lockdown. Same goes for their devices. RIM devices are always leaked 6 months to a year before release.

I'm sure Apple tests more builds, that wasn't the point. If your lucky a BB will get one new release a year, after the carrier had 5 months to play around with it, and then by that time it is already outdated.

Yes the Droid is slow to receive updates, but that is because of Verizon, they are slow with EVERY OS update.

There are hacked Droids running around all over the place with Froyo (2.2), and they work on the network. Testing by them is not required. I have never had a problem with any rooted build I was using on the network. The carriers don't HAVE to test them, they just chose to. This can just be done by the manufacturer.

Yes carriers have to support the DEVICE. The software should still be pushed by the manufacturer. The carrier should have NO say in what OS version I want on my device, that I pay for, that I own. They should allow it and enjoy my money (like what Google is doing with the N1). I do agree the carrier should have a build so they can get ready for tech support and other questions before hand.
    06-11-10 07:46 PM
    Here is what RIM needs to do to compete:
    1. Better hardware, Motorola is going to bring a 2ghz Droid with Nvidia graphics capable of Flash 10.1 support by years end!! Meanwhile RIM just released the 9650 with the same CPU and clock speed as the year old 9630. What is wrong with that picture?

2. Give consumer/small businesses without exchange server BES like functionality via either software we can install on our home computers or an online service(see my previous post on this matter)

3. Why was Apple first to the market with a forward facing camera for video conferencing? RIM is suppose to be the business choice and as someone above put it a "communications tool" and board room execs love video conferencing more so then consumers IMO. Imagine your an exec. be able to make a meeting abroad without having to setup a laptop? This is the exact sort of lack of innovation people have been bring up lately, RIM should of been first to the market with a forward facing video camera.

RIM needs to step it up big time, I'm seeing the 9800 slider as a potential first step, it compromises between BB traditional portrait form factor and the wide touch screen form factored necessary to surf the web more accurately and watch videos...something that BB6 w/ webkit will hopefully address. Now it all depends on what kind of hardware is inside the 9800 if they continue down the path of putting inadequate old processors in their devices then they are going to lose out. And they need to drastically speedup their release schedule. It seems like when a phone is rumored to be coming out it's not released for a year and by that time the phone is already a year outdated compared to the competition.
    06-11-10 07:47 PM
    Why was Apple first to the market with a forward facing camera for video conferencing?
    They weren't, this has been going on in Europe for a while now. They just have crazy charges to use it

Even then, the Evo was launched before the new iPhone so technically, HTC is the first in NA (unless Canada has a different phone with it?). I wouldn't doubt though that Apple is the first one to get it "right".
    06-11-10 07:51 PM
    They weren't, this has been going on in Europe for a while now. They just have crazy charges to use it

Even then, the Evo was launched before the new iPhone so technically, HTC is the first in NA (unless Canada has a different phone with it?). I wouldn't doubt though that Apple is the first one to get it "right".
    Yeah but being a more business oriented phone BB should of been the first to have this function, that's the point I was trying to make.
    06-11-10 07:56 PM
    Yeah but being a more business oriented phone BB should of been the first to have this function, that's the point I was trying to make.
    Oh I hear ya on that one, I was just busting balls.

I don't think you will see RIM do anything "first" anymore, besides maybe some awesome clicking screens....
    06-11-10 07:59 PM
    Seriously one one, I would be interested in hearing what you like about your choice in phone or what you missed in the BB platform or your thoughts on the OP's original post. But, these drive by zingers with emoticons go against the spirit of the thread.
    I owned the storm (excuse me, 4 storms), need I say more?
    06-11-10 08:00 PM
    I dont think its always about doing it first, but more so about doing it right
    06-11-10 08:00 PM
    Apple seems to be slipping in regard to the spec war too. They just came out with their annual upgrade and are still not on pace with HTC. That being said I find the apple 4 more appealing than the incredible or evo.
    06-11-10 08:01 PM
    eleven i can't help you. i gave it a shot. you are the don rickles of tech forums.
    06-11-10 08:02 PM
    I dont think its always about doing it first, but more so about doing it right
    Which is exactly what apple is doing with the iPhone4 (hopefully)
    06-11-10 08:16 PM
78 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD