**Update from Kevin - Read my reply on this thread HERE for my take on it it all **

Given the whole global market, and the fact that NYC is considered the worlds capital, does it really matter where Kevin sits and types?

I can't see anything but positive in this, honestly. Crackberry will be right in the middle of the action. Kevin will have easier and quicker access to decision makers and stories. I say God Speed and damn the horses. Crackberry NYC is a stroke of genius.
    Last edited by CrackBerry Kevin; 03-12-13 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Added link to my reply
    Dave Liao, Snap51, cd1105 and 4 others like this.
    03-12-13 04:55 AM
    Given the whole global market, and the fact that NYC is considered the worlds capital, does it really matter where Kevin sits and types?

I can't see anything but positive in this, honestly. Crackberry will be right in the middle of the action. Kevin will have easier and quicker access to decision makers and stories. I say God Speed and damn the horses. Crackberry NYC is a stroke of genius.
    NYC is not considered the world's capital by anyone outside of US. The rest of the world knows it's London. In terms of local US ad money, ye you should be in New York.
    But none of this concerns us, the readers. When we hear surprise, we want something that relates to us in a positive way. And not news that Kevin will be running his website from somewhere else.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-13 05:06 AM
    Right, London. Keep dreaming. Just because you put it in the center of a Mercator projector doesn't make it the center.
    Unless you are the Queen of England. The media AND financial center of the world (good and bad) is NYC.

CB is just another Canadian import. This was all spun up to be mind blowing and it doesn't matter. It's nothing.
    Mr Bigs and Bobert_123 like this.
    03-12-13 05:39 AM
    I agree it does not have much significance.

Even the Toronto one was iffy. I believe they booked it in Toronto before they knew the main event was not there perhaps.

I do not personally see why it is important to us where blog posts are submitted from.

The phone is out, the reviews are done...its just going to be separate articles for the release date of each carrier? Why does that have to be in New York. Even for carrier launch events those can be an in-and-out experience with posts written from elsewhere like traditional events. To be honest it sounds like Kevin is going there for something else and the spin is that it is all for a HQ. All that is there is an AT&T event to my knowledge.

The meetups are also hyped up until the point where its time to do them in my opinion. It never really happened in Toronto. I believe Zach Gilbert had a small one and a few people showed up but it was not really promoted.
    SF71 and Lendo like this.
    03-12-13 05:43 AM
    In the grand scheme of things, I suppose it doesn't really matter. It's unfortunate that Kevin hyped up his announcement and got a lot of people excited for something BlackBerry related, but it is what it is.
    As long as it doesn't change the quality of the content he pushes out, then it shouldn't matter to us.
    03-12-13 05:57 AM
    Couldn't care less where the Site is produced, NYC sounds like a logical spot! Good for CB, Kevin and BlackBerry as all 3 brands will be better promoted!
    cd1105 likes this.
    03-12-13 05:59 AM
    There is a reason that New York is chosen by many companies as one of their headquarters, and there is a reason that BlackBerry has taken their product there many many times to show to people on the street. Kevin and crew have a chance to interact with real people, potentially millions of them, every day, and bring a great deal of hype to this launch. Media is centered there, national news in both print and video, and the more people that Kevin can reach the better. I think NY is a great choice.
    03-12-13 06:04 AM
    Right, London. Keep dreaming. Just because you put it in the center of a Mercator projector doesn't make it the center.
    Unless you are the Queen of England. The media AND financial center of the world (good and bad) is NYC.

CB is just another Canadian import. This was all spun up to be mind blowing and it doesn't matter. It's nothing.
    Still living in the early 90's are we? New York is indeed competing with London for the title of Financial Capital of the world, but is still number 2. In terms of media this is surely a joke as British agencies control near 70% of the global market. Just add WPP and Aegis, then come the French with Havas and Publicis, and only then the yanks with Omnicom and Interpublic.

Do your homework before you talk.
    03-12-13 06:10 AM
    There is a reason that New York is chosen by many companies as one of their headquarters, and there is a reason that BlackBerry has taken their product there many many times to show to people on the street. Kevin and crew have a chance to interact with real people, potentially millions of them, every day, and bring a great deal of hype to this launch. Media is centered there, national news in both print and video, and the more people that Kevin can reach the better. I think NY is a great choice.
    "Media is centered there, national news in both print and video."

True. But how will this effect Crackberry? Everything done (going to an AT&T event, what else??) will be documented and posted on Crackberry. Why does it make it better to post it from a media centre/city on to this website? How does Crackberry reach more people when an article is submitted to the blogs from NYC?

Do not see how many companies having a headquaters in NYC makes it a good idea/valuable for Crackberry to have it there for a few days. How is that related/relevant for a company that's product is virtual?

If some actual substantial meetups are advertised and actually happen that is the only positive I see out of this, and that would be no more then an estimate of what....100 people? I do not see how millions of people will be interacted with again, unless millions are watching the AT&T event live and the pony tail is chopped again.
    03-12-13 06:13 AM
    Perhaps we will see Kevin standing on some huge NYC building as some kind of BlackBerry 10 messiah.
    03-12-13 06:14 AM

True. But how will this effect Crackberry? Everything done (going to an AT&T event, what else??) will be documented and posted on Crackberry. Why does it make it better to post it from a media centre/city on to this website? How does Crackberry reach more people when an article is submitted to the blogs from NYC?

Do not see how many companies having a headquaters in NYC makes it a good idea/valuable for Crackberry to have it there for a few days. How is that related/relevant for a company that's product is virtual?

If some actual substantial meetups are advertised and actually happen that is the only positive I see out of this, and that would be no more then an estimate of what....100 people? I do not see how millions of people will be interacted with again, unless millions are watching the AT&T event live and the pony tail is chopped again.
    Maybe Kevin just wanted to move to NYC and thus betray the Common Wealth and Her Majesty the Elizabeth Windsor? Treachery....
    03-12-13 06:20 AM
    Still living in the early 90's are we? New York is indeed competing with London for the title of Financial Capital of the world, but is still number 2. In terms of media this is surely a joke as British agencies control near 70% of the global market. Just add WPP and Aegis, then come the French with Havas and Publicis, and only then the yanks with Omnicom and Interpublic.

While I wont discuss financial (as I have no clue), I am pretty sure that the media piece is wrong. After all, there is no way you can control 70% of media if you include giants such as Disney and Time Warner in the equation. Keep in mind that media includes more than just newspaper, more than just TV, etc. Disney itself is MASSIVE. Don't forget News Corp either, which controls TV and radio stations, as well as print media (i believe) ALL over the world.
    cd1105 likes this.
    03-12-13 06:21 AM
    and while reading this thread,

State of mind - Jay Z feat ALICIA KEYS

doing the background music..

[Chorus: Alicia Keys]
    New York, concrete jungle where dreams are
    made of
    There's nothin' you can't do
    Now you're in New York
    These streets will make you feel brand new
    Big lights will inspire you
    Let's hear it for
    New York, New York, New York

Sent from my unsliding slithering torch slide using Tapatalk
    cd1105, Turnda643 and Abrante like this.
    03-12-13 06:23 AM

Being able to meet, directly, with those that publish the news, relating to this event, and be interviewed (potentially) on national TV, but also in print, can easily reach millions of people. Kevin has a significantly better chance of organizing this if he is based in NYC for the launch, than he would in Canada. He is well known in the BlackBerry world, even appearing in the Jan 30th launch. Who is to say he couldnt be featured in this launch as well?

Let us also not forget that CB could set up in Times Square and talk to/interview random people walking by, generating buzz from the boots on the ground effect as well.
    03-12-13 06:23 AM
    @Sydsam - keep dreaming that the British Empire is relevant.
    Pretty funny.
    cd1105 likes this.
    03-12-13 06:24 AM
    Doesn't matter to me. But now will they have to travel all the time back to Canada to get real BlackBerry news and interviews?
    CDM76 likes this.
    03-12-13 06:30 AM
    While I wont discuss financial (as I have no clue), I am pretty sure that the media piece is wrong. After all, there is no way you can control 70% of media if you include giants such as Disney and Time Warner in the equation. Keep in mind that media includes more than just newspaper, more than just TV, etc. Disney itself is MASSIVE. Don't forget News Corp either, which controls TV and radio stations, as well as print media (i believe) ALL over the world.
    We are talking different media. I am talking Media Agencies = Advertising, this is relevant to discussion. The fact that there is Disney and NewsCorp (Aussies originally) are also in America makes very little to no difference to CrackBerry business.
    03-12-13 06:31 AM
    Pretty funny.
    Depends what you call relevant. What language are you speaking, for instance?
    03-12-13 06:32 AM
    Be proud of your heritage. But it isn't the center of media or finance.
    Disney is Aussie? Wow, different history books. Walt Disney would be surprised.

And if it wasn't for the US, you'd be speaking German.
    Oops.
    xandermac, SK122387 and Mr Bigs like this.
    03-12-13 06:33 AM

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/04/ma...anted=all&_r=0

You are correct on the financials it appears. What I was worried about was China more so than NYC for financial. At this time though, it appears that London is indeed the center.
    03-12-13 06:37 AM
    I think it does. It will help with the launch here in the US. I believe many of the media outlets will take the opportunity to speak with those who are more in the know than they are. I saw on local news this morning a report of the Z10 coming to ATT that was basically just an announcement, so any hype will most likely help. Especially after SXSW response.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    03-12-13 06:41 AM
    Be proud of your heritage. But it isn't the center of media or finance.
    Disney is Aussie? Wow, different history books. Walt Disney would be surprised.

And if it wasn't for the US, you'd be speaking German.
    Oops.
    Reading can be tricky. I said News Corp are Aussies.
    And I'm sorry but if you want to bring in the War, it's more like we have to thank the Russians, for kicking Nazi ***.
    All US did until the very end of the war, was sell explosives for the bombs that dropped on London. So no it's because of US that we might have been speaking German.
    Last edited by sydsam; 03-12-13 at 07:47 AM.
    03-12-13 06:42 AM
    Pretty funny.
    Well if you can dream that America is the center of the universe then he is free to dream that the British Empire is relevant.
    I don't care either way, New Delhi is the capital of the Moon .

Posted via CB10
    03-12-13 06:45 AM
    We are talking different media. I am talking Media Agencies = Advertising, this is relevant to discussion. The fact that there is Disney and NewsCorp (Aussies originally) are also in America makes very little to no difference to CrackBerry business.
    While NewsCorp's owner may be Aussie, the company is HQed in NYC.

Also while advertising is relevant to BlackBerry, I dont so much think it is in play here for CB and Kevin. Word of mouth, print, and other media exposure is what counts for CB.
    Well if you can dream that America is the center of the universe then he is free to dream that the British Empire is relevant.
    I don't care either way, New Delhi is the capital of the Moon .

Posted via CB10
    LOL! well played!
    ghundiraj likes this.
223 123 ...