Ok, ok. Hear me out. Back in the day, people said "Watch out for fakes! Fake BlackBerries don't run RIM's software, they are generic 3G devices! No BIS!!1!" but since BIS and other BlackBerry services are shutting down, perhaps digging up the old fake BlackBerries would be beneficial for people who love the old 9700s and 9900s. Both those devices had a fair amount of clones? I'd assume they would still work fine for making calls, texting, emails, etc.

Just an idea I had, lol.
    12-07-18 10:17 PM
    Ok, ok. Hear me out. Back in the day, people said "Watch out for fakes! Fake BlackBerries don't run RIM's software, they are generic 3G devices! No BIS!!1!" but since BIS and other BlackBerry services are shutting down, perhaps digging up the old fake BlackBerries would be beneficial for people who love the old 9700s and 9900s. Both those devices had a fair amount of clones? I'd assume they would still work fine for making calls, texting, emails, etc.

Just an idea I had, lol.
    What fake BlackBerry devices?
    12-08-18 02:12 AM
    What fake BlackBerry devices?
    Like this one? 😉
    Attached Thumbnails Does it make sense to buy a knockoff BlackBerry these days?-77757.jpg  
    12-08-18 04:22 AM

Just an idea I had, lol.
    These fake BlackBerrys that you're talking about, whether they're genuine BB handsets with non-proprietary software or fake BB handsets with non-proprietary software are surely not the same as the real deal. One would have to try the phone out and review it with the same thoroughness and objectivity that you would apply to an approved OEM equivalent. I wouldn't waste my money on one, who would?!
    12-08-18 06:40 AM
    Like this one? ������
    https://crackberry.com/fake-week-kno...eal-thing-kind
    Ya know, the old BlockBerrys and BlackBerlys lmao.
    They still sell Spider-Man, Cars, and princess toy BlackBerries at my local Dollar Tree.
    12-08-18 10:37 AM
    These fake BlackBerrys that you're talking about, whether they're genuine BB handsets with non-proprietary software or fake BB handsets with non-proprietary software are surely not the same as the real deal. One would have to try the phone out and review it with the same thoroughness and objectivity that you would apply to an approved OEM equivalent. I wouldn't waste my money on one, who would?!
    They all wouldn't run BBOS, but BBOS getting closer to useless every day as BlackBerry services are shut down and apps drop support. Once BIS is shut down the legit phones won't be able to send emails and browse the web while the fake ones still can.
    12-08-18 10:39 AM
    They all wouldn't run BBOS, but BBOS getting closer to useless every day as BlackBerry services are shut down and apps drop support. Once BIS is shut down the legit phones won't be able to send emails and browse the web while the fake ones still can.
    Yes but my point is a) on the software side of things how would you describe the user experience? So you can send email, great, but how does it handle attachments, file size, formatting of text. And b) on the hardware side of things describe what you would get. Do they have good battery life? How's the typing experience? What's the call reception like? Is the build quality good? I don't think looking like a BlackBerry is enough of a reason to use one. The quality of the imitation product and user experience would have to be equal to the quality and user experience of using a genuine BlackBerry device supported by BIS.
    12-08-18 10:59 AM
    it’s actually ironic that the knockoffs would still work but the real ones will mostly be paper weight!
    12-08-18 11:00 AM
    Depends on what OS those knock-offs ran.

Back around late 2014, there were posts everywhere about fake BB10 phones, iPhones and a few Samsung Galaxies being sold all over China and all running android. Externally, they were very good counterfeits, but all Chinese parts inside running Android. I'm sure it was full of back doors too.
    12-08-18 11:25 AM
    sure, if you have faked nike shoes, RL shirt, Rolax watch, etc. might just get a full suite add fake BB to complete the set. (all those functionality do not matter, it just have to "fool" user's ego for few minutes). Go for it OP. 21 dollar is a lot for me. I would buy something better (Udacity course of AI for free, add few ram to update computer for example... ).
    12-08-18 04:49 PM
    sure, if you have faked nike shoes, RL shirt, Rolax watch, etc. might just get a full suite add fake BB to complete the set. (all those functionality do not matter, it just have to "fool" user's ego for few minutes). Go for it OP. 21 dollar is a lot for me. I would buy something better (Udacity course of AI for free, add few ram to update computer for example... ).
    I have yet to see a Rolax time piece.
    12-09-18 11:19 AM
    aha, typo - rolex watch...
    12-09-18 12:24 PM

Just an idea I had, lol.
    Circling back, I guess the answer is "No".

If they are old devices, finding one with appropriate bands would be difficult, many places are starting to shut down their 3G bands, no support, and devices of dubious origin likely phoning home to who knows what government.

And, they are all likely running android, so why bother with an old unknown when you can get a new device that has no such questions. You already know Google gets everything.
    12-09-18 03:15 PM
    Circling back, I guess the answer is "No".

If they are old devices, finding one with appropriate bands would be difficult, many places are starting to shut down their 3G bands, no support, and devices of dubious origin likely phoning home to who knows what government.

And, they are all likely running android, so why bother with an old unknown when you can get a new device that has no such questions. You already know Google gets everything.
    You root the device, and swap firmware to basic stock android (latest the SoC will handle), problem solved, no backdoors. If you're talking about US carriers exclusively, the Canadian ones aren't shutting out 3G/H+ bands for another decade unless i'm missing something. Haven't heard any announcements on mobilesyrup or other tech blogs yet relating to it.

Typed on my BlackBerry passport, via freedom mobile DC-HSPA+/LTE
    12-17-18 02:30 PM