I've realized that the phone I want next is really the phone I have now. I love my 9930. Its never given me a problem and it does everything I want. All the apps that I want and need I already have on the 9930.

Anyway, my question is: does NOT buying a BB10 device hurt BlackBerry? They've already gotten my money from purchasing the Bold, and that will mean one less person supporting/using BB10. I want to support BlackBerry as much as I can, but they've already made the perfect phone for me in the Bold.

I wouldn't mind getting a Z/Q10 at all, I think both phones look great, but if its all the same to BlackBerry then I'd rather keep the Bold that I love.
    03-30-13 09:54 AM
    I've realized that the phone I want next is really the phone I have now. I love my 9930. Its never given me a problem and it does everything I want. All the apps that I want and need I already have on the 9930.

Anyway, my question is: does NOT buying a BB10 device hurt BlackBerry? They've already gotten my money from purchasing the Bold, and that will mean one less person supporting/using BB10. I want to support BlackBerry as much as I can, but they've already made the perfect phone for me in the Bold.

I wouldn't mind getting a Z/Q10 at all, I think both phones look great, but if its all the same to BlackBerry then I'd rather keep the Bold that I love.
    Unless BB is giving the phone free use what suits you. I have not moved yet for the same reason, my phone right now has the apps I need and suits me. When all the apps I use are available that may change.
    03-30-13 10:01 AM
    they are getting subscription fees from you every month...

mind you, once you try the Z/Q10 you will most likely realize how much better the BB10 OS is... then you will want to upgrade.
    03-30-13 10:29 AM
    Financially-speaking, not really - although they won't get a device purchase from you, they will get BIS revenue. But you won't be able to get the word-of-mouth out about BlackBerry 10 in quite the same way without a BB10 device, and I think word-of-mouth is going to be crucial to their sales success. Having said that, I'd just stick with whatever you think works best for you - BlackBerry 10 is absolutely fantastic, but there are certain things you'll have to give up coming from OS7. Maybe you can wait for 10.1 and see if that helps fix any shortcomings that are keeping you on your 9930.
    03-30-13 10:33 AM
    What keeps us on the 9900 -30 ? Our contracts or if we own outright it still works well. Many users are employees of corps who really have little say in the matter. I will likely convert when my contract is up .
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 03-30-13 at 11:02 AM.
    03-30-13 10:50 AM
    Maybe you can wait for 10.1 and see if that helps fix any shortcomings that are keeping you on your 9930.
    There really aren't any shortcomings keeping me from getting a BB10 phone, its just that I asked myself "what do I wish that the 9930 could do that it can't?" and my answer was "nothing."

The only app that I use that isn't available on BB10 is Spotify, and who knows if that will ever be released.
    03-30-13 10:51 AM
    There really aren't any shortcomings keeping me from getting a BB10 phone, its just that I asked myself "what do I wish that the 9930 could do that it can't?" and my answer was "nothing."

The only app that I use that isn't available on BB10 is Spotify, and who knows if that will ever be released.
    Oh I see. Well in that case, I think you best ask yourself two questions:

1. Do you think the advantages of BlackBerry 10 are worth the money to you, or are none of them going to affect you in your daily usage? I think the user experience alone is well worth the switch, it really does have a great flow to it, but that's up to you.

2. Can you live without that Spotify app? I believe their web player should work just fine in the browser, and you can send a website shortcut to your homescreen, but there's no app at the moment and we haven't heard anything about it for a while.
    03-30-13 10:58 AM
    Many of us are waiting to see and use the Q10. Is it a game changer or an just an evolution . BB does have a trade in option which helps.
    03-30-13 11:06 AM
    2. Can you live without that Spotify app? I believe their web player should work just fine in the browser, and you can send a website shortcut to your homescreen, but there's no app at the moment and we haven't heard anything about it for a while.
    Honestly, I hate to say it but I probably couldn't live with it. I'm a huge music fan and use the app constantly. As far as their web app goes I've heard that it will not work on the Z10, even though it works just fine on the PlayBook.

I'm active on the Spotify Community site and it seems Spotify has zero interest in making an app for BB10.
    03-30-13 11:08 AM
    Honestly, I hate to say it but I probably couldn't live with it. I'm a huge music fan and use the app constantly. As far as their web app goes I've heard that it will not work on the Z10, even though it works just fine on the PlayBook.

I'm active on the Spotify Community site and it seems Spotify has zero interest in making an app for BB10.
    That's odd, I had heard the web app worked previously. But if it doesn't, then it looks like your best bet is to stick with the 9930, at least until Spotify makes a BB10 app or fixes their web app. Unless you want to try another streaming service, as there are quite a few streaming apps on BB10 besides Spotify (Apollo for Pandora, Songza, Slacker). Supporting BlackBerry is great and all, but stick with what works best for you.
    03-30-13 11:12 AM
    The 9930 is a mature hardware & software device. In comparison the OS10 device will take some time to smooth out the "kinks", which is to be expected. I loaded the Google talk app yesterday on my Z10 and my battery drained heavily in about 4 hours. The 9930 is a superb device, and I kept mine as a backup device. Your commitment to your 9930 is a benefit to Blackberry.
    03-30-13 11:56 AM
    there are certain things you'll have to give up coming from OS7. Maybe you can wait for 10.1 and see if that helps fix any shortcomings that are keeping you on your 9930.
    I wish there was a thread that spells out specifically what functionality is lost when one upgrades from 9900/9930 to the Z10 now. As I understand the bridge capability with the Playbook is not ready for primetime. What else?
    03-30-13 12:14 PM
    why yes OP..you and you alone are so crucial to BB that should you decide to keep your older model.....the company will fold shortly thereafter...
    03-30-13 12:16 PM
    I wish there was a thread that spells out specifically what functionality is lost when one upgrades from 9900/9930 to the Z10 now. As I understand the bridge capability with the Playbook is not ready for primetime. What else?
    -Notifications haven't got nearly the same level of customization
    -BIS is gone
    -The "Delete on Device" or "Delete on Device and Server" option for email
    -Remember lacks the functionality of Tasks (no reminders, due dates cannot be set to a specific time but only a day, no recurrence)

This is just off the top of my head, there's probably a few more things.
    npunk42 likes this.
    03-30-13 12:18 PM
    I feel the same way as the OP.. I still use my 9900 as my daily driver phone.. This thing has never let me down and works flawlessly for my everyday tasks! However, I did activate a z10 on a spare line I have and getting used to the way it works.. All the ins and outs are great but, I feel that the z10 is more geared towards media content.. Which is cool, but I don't need those type of features on my phone. I have an iPad for that! I like to keep those type of things separate.. So I think I'm going to stick with my 9900 until it breaks and maybe at that point get whatever qwerty keyboard BB has out at that time!

Sent from my iPad Mini 32GB using Tapatalk
    03-30-13 12:42 PM
    -Notifications haven't got nearly the same level of customization
    -BIS is gone
    -The "Delete on Device" or "Delete on Device and Server" option for email
    -Remember lacks the functionality of Tasks (no reminders, due dates cannot be set to a specific time but only a day, no recurrence)

This is just off the top of my head, there's probably a few more things.
    Thanks for that. I just did some quick research on some of those points. I didn't understand BIS very well previously, now I have a much better idea what happened when "Blackberry went down" a few years ago when service was interrupted across large areas. I wasn't affected by it so I didn't look into it. Anyway the current consensus is we are probably okay without BIS. I'll go with that speaking for myself only. I don't use Tasks, I can live fine without the delete on device only option. The bridge thing is a serious hangup for me. I was really afraid that "upgrading" from my 9930 would actually be a step backward, but except for the bridge it doesn't seem so bad. Has anyone used Sheets To Go extensively on the Z10? What did you think of it. It is unusable on the Playbook. Serious bummer. Your thoughts?
    03-30-13 01:04 PM
    Thanks for that. I just did some quick research on some of those points. I didn't understand BIS very well previously, now I have a much better idea what happened when "Blackberry went down" a few years ago when service was interrupted across large areas. I wasn't affected by it so I didn't look into it. Anyway the current consensus is we are probably okay without BIS. I'll go with that speaking for myself only. I don't use Tasks, I can live fine without the delete on device only option. The bridge thing is a serious hangup for me. I was really afraid that "upgrading" from my 9930 would actually be a step backward, but except for the bridge it doesn't seem so bad. Has anyone used Sheets To Go extensively on the Z10? What did you think of it. It is unusable on the Playbook. Serious bummer. Your thoughts?
    I haven't used Sheets to Go much, but the Docs to Go program has worked flawlessly for me. I've typed out entire reports, start to finish, on my Z10. Did you have any specific gripes with Sheets to Go on the PlayBook? I can't see anything wrong with it on the Z10 from a quick glance
    03-30-13 01:11 PM
    I haven't used Sheets to Go much, but the Docs to Go program has worked flawlessly for me. I've typed out entire reports, start to finish, on my Z10. Did you have any specific gripes with Sheets to Go on the PlayBook? I can't see anything wrong with it on the Z10 from a quick glance
    Yeah thanks, try to open an excel sheet with menus and functions and see if the still work in sheets to go. Its a bust on the Playbook.
    03-30-13 01:42 PM
    Yeah thanks, try to open an excel sheet with menus and functions and see if the still work in sheets to go. Its a bust on the Playbook.
    I've tried a few basic functions out and they work absolutely perfectly. There's a function display at the top to show you the function of the selected cell, and the correct number appears in the cell itself. Menus, however, still seem to be broken.
    03-30-13 01:58 PM
    I've tried a few basic functions out and they work absolutely perfectly. There's a function display at the top to show you the function of the selected cell, and the correct number appears in the cell itself. Menus, however, still seem to be broken.
    Well, that's something. Thanks for the reply.
    03-31-13 01:41 PM