hello just wondering does using google Maps eat a lot of mb out of our BIS packages..like using latitude and loading the maps..

thanks in advance..
    11-21-10 02:26 PM
    Anything that uses the GPS and especially if it is used to load and update maps
    will chew up a substantial amount (MBs) of data.
    11-21-10 02:49 PM
    thanks for the reply..i'm just wondering if you have a 500 mb data plan if i use map for about 10 minutes maybe twice a week is it enough to make 500 mb becomes consumed in less than a month?..

cause i am thinking blackberry is good in compressing email so that it won't eat a lot of mb..but when it comes to loading maps blackberry doesn't compress data..(just my insights)

peace..
    11-21-10 02:57 PM
    Google maps is very efficent, even when satellite view is enabled. It barely make a ripple in my data plan.

Most carriers offer a way to view your current data use or you may have to wait for your billing cycle. Make note of your typical data use, then experiment with Maps for a day. I suspect you will barely notice the difference.

However, when you pull the battery, the cached data will be lost and it will repeat the download. The built in memory manager does a good job of sorting out what to keep and what to purge.
    11-21-10 03:14 PM
    Here is a good app that keeps track of your data usage. e-office mobile - Mobile Data Alerter
    11-21-10 03:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD