Does CDMA phones go to 2G if 3G is not available?

I don't have a CDMA phone, so i don't know how that works. What would the indicator state if it is 2G? Would EDGE pop up?
    08-08-11 09:20 AM
    afaik, you can't even use a CDMA phone on a 2G/3G network.
    08-08-11 09:26 AM
    There are...
    1XEV (3g with Data and Voice)
    1X (3g with Voice and No data)
    EV (3g with Data [NO voice])
    1xev (2g with Data and voice)
    1x (2g with Voice)
    ev (2g with Data [No Voice]] (I've never got the last one but I tested the others)
    08-08-11 09:28 AM
    BARRIST: Ok, so what happens to a 3G phone on a CDMA network when 3G is not available?
    08-08-11 09:30 AM
    9930 is CDMA and GSM,so i use it only on GSM and when i don t have 3G it shows(gprs) that mean 2G.
    08-08-11 09:45 AM
    Once again, what happens to a CDMA phone when 3G is not available? This would apply to people who have Sprint and Verizon, so if you dont have Sprint or Verizon and dont know what you're talking about, please do NOT reply.
    08-08-11 10:30 AM
    Deathcommand already showed you what you will see visibly. Does not apply to the Verizon phones anymore. He is a little off from my experience with VzW but if there is no 3G you drop down to the 2G network aka 1XRTT.
    08-08-11 02:38 PM
    There are...
    1XEV (3g with Data and Voice)
    1X (3g with Voice and No data)
    EV (3g with Data [NO voice])
    1xev (2g with Data and voice)
    1x (2g with Voice)
    ev (2g with Data [No Voice]] (I've never got the last one but I tested the others)
    Not exactly correct...

1XEV = 3G with data
    1X = 2G with data
    1xev = 3G NO data
    1x = 2G no data

I've never seen EV or ev at all on my Verizon phone.
    08-08-11 04:42 PM
    Not exactly correct...

1XEV = 3G with data
    1X = 2G with data
    1xev = 3G NO data
    1x = 2G no data

Check again.

I've gotten EV on my 9650.
    Just data.
    1X for some reason will give me data (Until my PRL updated), if I was roaming on VZW

But EV gives me Data with no voice (or text) On sprint.

Lemme think then.
    So...

1XEV 3G Voice and Data

1X 2G Voice with Data

1xev 2G Voice and no Data

1x 2G Voice no Data

EV No Voice 3G Data

ev (Non-existant?)
    08-09-11 12:39 AM
    The newer smartphones don't SHOW the 1XEV or any of that anymore, correct?
    My Droid on Verizon is just straight 3G or 1X.
    Last edited by californiablackberry; 08-09-11 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Typed some parts incorrectly.
    08-09-11 12:45 AM
    BB has to connect to servers so that's why it is more specific.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-09-11 09:34 AM
    But can you use data while in a phone (voice) call at the same time?

I never experienced the ability to use that when on 1XEV/EVDO on telus. Unless I'm mistaken. I'm using a GSM device, so I get data and voice at the same time while in a call.

08-09-11 09:50 AM
    But can you use data while in a phone (voice) call at the same time?

I never experienced the ability to use that when on 1XEV/EVDO on telus. Unless I'm mistaken. I'm using a GSM device, so I get data and voice at the same time while in a call.

Can't do that on CDMA. The only way I can do that is to use wifi for data while in a call on the mobile network.
    08-09-11 10:22 AM
    Does CDMA phones go to 2G if 3G is not available?

I don't have a CDMA phone, so i don't know how that works. What would the indicator state if it is 2G? Would EDGE pop up?
    It will show 1X (with the "X" in uppercase meaning you're connected to RIM servers, a 1x, with lowercase x means no connection to RIM servers)

EDGE is only for GSM
    08-09-11 11:44 AM
    Check again.

I've gotten EV on my 9650.
    Just data.
    1X for some reason will give me data (Until my PRL updated), if I was roaming on VZW

But EV gives me Data with no voice (or text) On sprint.

Lemme think then.
    So...

1XEV 3G Voice and Data

1X 2G Voice with Data

1xev 2G Voice and no Data

1x 2G Voice no Data

EV No Voice 3G Data

ev (Non-existant?)
    Uppercase letters mean you have data and are connected to RIM's servers. Lowercase means no data. So, 1xev is just 3G voice, but no data.

As for this EV thing (never seen it on my Verizon phones), what you say seems right, but it just doesn't make any sense to me. I don't understand how you can have 3G data but no voice reception at all. The "ev" makes zero sense at all, if there was no data (letters need to be uppercase) and no voice then there would just be an "x" meaning no coverage at all.

Here's a link I found just now. I realize that I answered the question there, but civic (if any remembers her, she knows WAY too much about cell phones) backed me up on it. I'm sure the info is available from Sprint or Verizon on their site somewhere though.

1XEV to 1xev - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

Not to sound like an a$$, but I'm sticking with the info I posted in my first post of this thread until someone with a reliable, trustworthy link proves me wrong.

As for getting BBM's on 1xev, not going to happen. Must just be a bad spot and going in and out of data coverage, so it seemed as though you got them on 1xev.
    08-09-11 04:33 PM
    I saw a whole host of these letter combos today yes, even "EV." But I think that's because I was in a hospital building near ultrasound and radiology departments. The one thing that was consistent, performance was off.

08-09-11 04:56 PM
    Can't do that on CDMA. The only way I can do that is to use wifi for data while in a call on the mobile network.
    That's what I was pointing out

It's like EDGE, only it'll never be 3G. If it was 3G CDMA, there would be voice and data at the same time, eg. Data services available during a call.

08-09-11 07:15 PM
    I believe only Sprint BlackBerry's (not sure about other CDMA networks) show the 1X, 1XEV, etc. in the signal area.

Most BlackBerry's (including Verizon on CDMA) show 3G w/ the little BlackBerry logo to indicate an activate BlackBerry account. If you don't have 3G signal, it will revert to 1X.

So to answer the OP's question, it says "1X" if there's NO 3G signal.
    08-09-11 07:38 PM
    if you are in a area where HSPA is offered your CDMA phone will pick up on the highest network availble for it. every phone has a limit on the network it can reach. like my storm2 is not going to be able to connect with the HSPA+ 4G but i can connect with EVDO
    08-09-11 07:56 PM
    if you are in a area where HSPA is offered your CDMA phone will pick up on the highest network availble for it. every phone has a limit on the network it can reach. like my storm2 is not going to be able to connect with the HSPA+ 4G but i can connect with EVDO
    Maybe in Canada (like Bell/Telus who transition from CDMA to HSPA) but in the States none of the CDMA networks have change to HSPA+.
    08-09-11 08:04 PM
    The "1X" and the "EV" are actually separate signals that the phone receives, hence why sometimes you may only see "EV" which means it's getting the EV-DO signal but not the 1xRTT one
    08-10-11 12:17 AM
    Once again, what happens to a CDMA phone when 3G is not available? This would apply to people who have Sprint and Verizon, so if you dont have Sprint or Verizon and dont know what you're talking about, please do NOT reply.
    Nothing happens to it. It still works for the most part. When I'm off 3GBB (1XEV) I have a phone that can text and make calls, but web surfing is out. When I'm on 1X, my web surfing is hit or miss. YouTube videos are scratchy and grainy and don't play. The phone doesn't start ticking and blow up or anything when I'm off 3GBB/1XEV.

Not exactly correct...

I've seen it once on my Verizon phone when a tornado came through and knocked a tower down. 12 hours later, I was back up to 3GBB. I had both EV and ev on my Sprint phone constantly.

I saw a whole host of these letter combos today yes, even "EV." But I think that's because I was in a hospital building near ultrasound and radiology departments. The one thing that was consistent, performance was off.

The radiology department used to be below me at work. They've since moved and my signal has gotten better. Course that may be due to the fact I ditched Sprint and their sucky service and went with Verizon. Occasionally, I get 1X with Verizon, but it's usually when I'm in the back of my office.
    08-10-11 09:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD