I just counted the numbere of 3rd party apps I use on the android market: 28 not counting games. At least half of those are app based interfaces of things I would normally use a browser for on a larger screen (ie. Playbook). So that leaves roughly a dozen 'essentials'. I've found equivalents to those on BB app world. in about 10 weeks this will be a moot point.
    12-20-11 09:26 PM
    I've found equivalents to those on BB app world. in about 10 weeks this will be a moot point.
    I wouldn't be so sure. Though there certainly will be Android apps available on App World, don't delude yourself into thinking that App World will include a compatible version of every "essential" Android app.
    12-20-11 11:24 PM
    why not? i already said most of my phone apps consist of apps that are simply small phone friendly interfaces for things i would normally use a browser for on a bigger screen. otherwise all i need are a file syncer, media players, file manager, etc and app world already supplied those needs.
    12-21-11 01:14 AM
    Wouldn't that depend on the individual users idea of "fully functional"?
    Fully functional - these are the apps I use on a daily basis. They're all on App World

Communications (it *is* a phone)
    web browsing
    shopping online
    tracking items I send/receive
    banking
    news
    entertainment news
    YouTube
    opening documents with minor edits (I have a laptop if I need to edit a document, wouldn't do it on a phone)
    taking, editing, sending photos
    tracking my car's mileage
    finding a movie, restaurant, business

There is one app I cannot find on App World that is available on the Android Market and in the App Store

DC Transit - metro, trains, buses, Circulator

I would love to have this app on my BB. It's not there. Pain in the neck. You know what I have to do? Use the browser. Which gets me to the Circulator site. Where I can track the bus. So....a minor irritation.

This to say - out of all the apps that are available on the Android market which I have on my Atrix, there is only one that I cannot find for my BB.

You know what I cannot find for my Atrix that is in App World?

An LED light like BeBuzz that does not require my credit card. Last time I checked they did.
    A screenshot app that did not require my phone to be rooted. Last time I checked there were none for my Atrix.

Last time I checked was when I gave up on using the Atrix and gave it away to my niece. I've since got it back and learned to use it and I love it, but it was an acquired taste.

So....this "you must have apps or the world ends" kind of thinking simply does not reflect my reality.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 12-21-11 at 03:37 AM.
    teknishun and Mecca EL like this.
    12-21-11 03:33 AM
    Fully functional - these are the apps I use on a daily basis. They're all on App World

web browsing
    shopping online
    banking
    news
    entertainment news
    YouTube
    opening documents with minor edits (I have a laptop if I need to edit a document, wouldn't do it on a phone)

There is one app I cannot find on App World that is available on the Android Market and in the App Store

I would love to have this app on my BB. It's not there. Pain in the neck. You know what I have to do? Use the browser. Which gets me to the Circulator site. Where I can track the bus. So....a minor irritation.

This to say - out of all the apps that are available on the Android market which I have on my Atrix, there is only one that I cannot find for my BB.

An LED light like BeBuzz that does not require my credit card. Last time I checked they did.
    A screenshot app that did not require my phone to be rooted. Last time I checked there were none for my Atrix.

Last time I checked was when I gave up on using the Atrix and gave it away to my niece. I've since got it back and learned to use it and I love it, but it was an acquired taste.

So....this "you must have apps or the world ends" kind of thinking simply does not reflect my reality.
    I agree with everything that you just said. Which, IMO, reinforces what I said. The individual user interprets his/her idea of "fully functional". I could list the apps that I use on a daily basis (almost completely different than yours, I might add.) which makes my phone fully functional, and it wouldn't necessarily be any more or less functional overall, just more functional for MY needs. ALL of these smart phones have some amazing capabilities, but sometimes go about performing tasks in different ways. You have to decide which way you like your daily tasks handled. And I'd be willing to bet that the majority of the bickering that goes on within the world of CrackBerry is not because one phone does this and another phone doesn't (with some notable exceptions on both sides of the aisle.), but because people have decided which way they prefer that these tasks be accomplished.
    CDM76 likes this.
    12-21-11 04:57 AM

web browsing
    shopping online
    banking
    news
    entertainment news
    YouTube

spot - on! I have an Atrix as well and I'm of the exact same mind-set as the above
    12-21-11 09:25 AM

This is one reason why I use Google Maps instead of BB Maps. Google Maps gives public transit directions with live scheduling. I didn't even realize this until visiting San Francisco a year and a half ago, where I used buses quite a bit to get around. I then paid more attention to what Google Maps had, and found that it not only told me which buses to take, but when they were expected to arrive. Very useful.
    12-21-11 10:02 AM
    This is one reason why I use Google Maps instead of BB Maps. Google Maps gives public transit directions with live scheduling. I didn't even realize this until visiting San Francisco a year and a half ago, where I used buses quite a bit to get around. I then paid more attention to what Google Maps had, and found that it not only told me which buses to take, but when they were expected to arrive. Very useful.
    oooooo!!!!!!!!!!! Awesome tip! Thank you!

I use Google Maps because of stalkapp.com (AKA Latitude) and I've never used BB Maps.
    I'll explore what you said.
    12-21-11 11:02 AM
    I think another issue behind the perception is that the company-issued Blackberry is in many cases very old and outdated.

Businesses do not upgrade like consumers do. Chances are the desktop PCs in the office are old and outdated too, compared to what people have in their houses.

One of my classmates had a company-issued Blackberry. It was an 8330. His personal device was an HTC Evo. There is absolutely no comparison there. I wouldn't like being stuck with a 4 year old device either.

If these business users actually got current Blackberry models (and were able to use Blackberry Balance to still use apps and separate personal/business functions), they would probably be a lot happier.
    this is the #1 reason. So many people have no idea about new Curve and Bold devices.
    Last edited by shemaree09; 12-22-11 at 11:40 AM.
    12-21-11 11:44 AM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD