I think the issue with the apps is not that there are necessarily too many for iOS/Android and too few for BB, but the usefulness of the apps.

For instance, I have the iheartradio app. When I listen to the radio, they mention in ads that iheartradio allows users to create their own custom stations. Yes, that feature is available, but only for iOS/Android. The BB app does not offer custom stations.

That is just one example. If the same apps that are available for all platforms offer the same functionality, there would be fewer complaints about the apps lacking on BB.
    12-20-11 12:10 PM
    I think that apps are killing the consumer interest. It's all about the apps. If you don't have them, you are setting yourself up to fail. The problem is that most of the apps, are garbage. Fake lightsabers, farting apps, a Zippo lighter app....come one...should those count? Those are time wasters. Just like Word Mole and BrickBreaker are. Those aren't apps. Get rid of all of the junk garbage apps in Android Market and iTunes, and level out the playing field. RIM still doesn't have that many apps in comparison, but most of the apps are decent.

People want apps. They see ads on TV for apps and the iPhone can do this, and Android can do that, just download the app. It's media brainwashing. My wife fell for it, with her iPhone. All she talks about is the apps.
    I've only seen BlackBerry users this interested in fart apps! Seriously, you guys always bring this crap up. Get over it. There is way more to the app store than fart apps. I won't deny that they are there, but I don't know anyone who has them. I have 30+ apps and none of them are fart apps. Mostly photography, finance, social networking, and news.

You can try and justify the fact that the iPhone has fart apps to make you feel better, but it's silly and makes you look immature that you even bring it up.

Apps are a big deal to consumers. All of my favorite apps aren't available on BlackBerry. There might be an app similiar to what I have on my iPhone, but the quality of the app on the iPhone is so much better.
    12-20-11 12:12 PM
    I think that the problem is that at the beginning there were more of those useless apps than there were useful apps. As time evolved and businesses added their apps, those initial fart apps became less visible. Now you find a lot of apps that are built for specific businesses and schools, leaving the fart apps to be a lot less visible.
    Unfortunately, the stigma remains.
    And for the sake of being honest, I was one of the people who always brought up the fart apps. I've seen since then that I was wrong.
    moiselles likes this.
    12-20-11 01:20 PM
    I still think a Zippo lighter app is idiotic.
    12-20-11 01:32 PM
    I have only seen useful apps. But then again, that's because that's what I search for.

I had a ton of great, useful apps and widgets on my Bolt. No games, no farting.

I had no trouble finding apps that were productive. On BlackBerry it is limited.

Youtube
    Skype video
    Netflix
    Trip Advisor
    Google Navigation
    Period Tracker
    Pure Calendar
    Orbitz
    Delta
    Places
    GeoReader
    C:geo
    Google Sky

Some examples of awesome apps I had on my Android that BlackBerry doesn't have.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 12-20-11 at 02:32 PM.
    moiselles likes this.
    12-20-11 02:29 PM
    I love how defensive the iPhone owners get when you mention the fart apps. Look, they are out there. They may be few and far between, but seriously, a fart app? And the Zippo app is an absolute joke. It's stuff like this that makes people look at the iPhone as a toy. I have no control over that, it is what it is.
    12-20-11 02:45 PM
    Here's one of 16:

Check out MegaFarts - Fart application! You can find it at Buy MegaFarts - Fart application - Download MegaFarts - Fart application - Buy Apps from BlackBerry App World

lol
    moiselles likes this.
    12-20-11 02:52 PM
    So since we've established that fart apps are also available for the BlackBerry, we can call it ToyBerry?
    Caymancroc likes this.
    12-20-11 02:54 PM
    I love how defensive the iPhone owners get when you mention the fart apps. Look, they are out there. They may be few and far between, but seriously, a fart app? And the Zippo app is an absolute joke. It's stuff like this that makes people look at the iPhone as a toy. I have no control over that, it is what it is.
    You do realize BBs have fart apps as well right? The iPhone also has a heck of a lot more business related apps as well.

Every device can be a toy. All that matters is the way the user uses it.
    12-20-11 02:57 PM
    I just downloaded all 16!
    12-20-11 02:58 PM
    I was not aware that there are fart apps for the BB. I am surprised, but not that surprised I guess.
    12-20-11 03:03 PM
    So since we've established that fart apps are also available for the BlackBerry, we can call it ToyBerry?
    as much as you like on a platform agnostic or iphone, or Android, or WP7 forum.
    12-20-11 03:05 PM
    16? Wow.

Percentage-wise, that means there are more fart apps on average in the BB appworld than any other.
    Caymancroc likes this.
    12-20-11 03:06 PM
    I just downloaded all 16!
    A girl after my own heart.
    12-20-11 03:13 PM
    A girl after my own heart.
    I thought I was your girl!!!!

MEN!!!!!!!! You're all the same...

I need to go download those....it will provide great amusement during Christmas dinner.
    12-20-11 03:15 PM
    Okay... LOL... I thought Christy was mistaken. I found 25. One was "highly rectumend"ed.

No matter how you cut it, apps make a phone more functional. It's not brainwashing. If an app can make me more business-oriented, than I need it. I can do more on my current device not because the OS is "better" than BB; I can because I have some great business apps that make me more productive.

Now, I understand a BB user telling me that they don't need apps; by definition, that is why one uses a BB. But I do smile when they rant and rave about how useless apps are.... particularly when a smartphone is designed to use them, built-in or third party.
    moiselles and teknishun like this.
    12-20-11 03:17 PM
    You do realize, though, that these are more corporate and business-like, not just your casual run-of-the-mill raspberry-sounding farts. Make no mistake about it -- there is a difference.
    12-20-11 03:18 PM
    You do realize, though, that these are more corporate and business-like, not just your casual run-of-the-mill raspberry-sounding farts. Make no mistake about it -- there is a difference.
    Less guttural and more sophisticated? LOL.

That made my day...
    12-20-11 03:19 PM
    Okay... LOL... I thought Christy was mistaken. I found 25. One was "highly rectumend"ed.

No matter how you cut it, apps make a phone more functional. It's not brainwashing. If an app can make me more business-oriented, than I need it. I can do more on my current device not because the OS is "better" than BB; I can because I have some great business apps that make me more productive.

Now, I understand a BB user telling me that they don't need apps; by definition, that is why one uses a BB. But I do smile when they rant and rave about how useless apps are.... particularly when a smartphone is designed to use them, built-in or third party.
    A BlackBerry can be fully functional without any third party apps. I used to run mine that way, before Twitter and Facebook and the likes became so popular. On my 8830, I don't think that I had a single third party app, and I believe that my 8330 was the same way.
    12-20-11 03:24 PM
    I thought I was your girl!!!!

MEN!!!!!!!! You're all the same...

I need to go download those....it will provide great amusement during Christmas dinner.
    Of course you are. I have a limo with a fully stocked bar waiting for you and only you where we'll spend most of 12/20/2012 drinking ourselves into oblivion in preparation for the end of days (or Google taking over the world, whichever comes first). No number of fart apps will replace that coveted distinction.

Oh, and BBM-ing each other from the back seat. Whew ... there, now we're still on-topic.
    Last edited by 18to7fiddy; 12-20-11 at 03:29 PM.
    12-20-11 03:26 PM
    A BlackBerry can be fully functional without any third party apps. I used to run mine that way, before Twitter and Facebook and the likes became so popular. On my 8830, I don't think that I had a single third party app, and I believe that my 8330 was the same way.
    Wouldn't that depend on the individual users idea of "fully functional"?
    12-20-11 03:27 PM
    I have zero third party apps on my Bold 9650 non-camera BlackBerry.
    12-20-11 03:30 PM
    "Functional" is a relative term, though. Even when I used BB, I was one of those who used apps extensively.

Now, because I am mobile a lot, I could not be as productive without apps that make my day easier and allow for me to be more connected.

I also REFUSE to carry more than one device. I used my BB as a GPS unit and mp3 player, so any platform I use has to do that and more.

There is something to be said for using a device as-is out of the box, but for a lot of people, that is just not the case anymore.
    12-20-11 03:33 PM
    Less guttural and more sophisticated? LOL.

That made my day...
    Absolutely. And they actually smell, all the while convincing the user that they don't. Let's see a single-tasking iPhone pull that off.
    teknishun likes this.
    12-20-11 03:33 PM
    I think the issue with the apps is not that there are necessarily too many for iOS/Android and too few for BB, but the usefulness of the apps.

For instance, I have the iheartradio app. When I listen to the radio, they mention in ads that iheartradio allows users to create their own custom stations. Yes, that feature is available, but only for iOS/Android. The BB app does not offer custom stations.

That is just one example. If the same apps that are available for all platforms offer the same functionality, there would be fewer complaints about the apps lacking on BB.
    That is a problem with the developer of the app. If the developer doesn't take the time and care to develop the app correctly for BB, then the app will not be good. This is not a problem with BB, but a problem with the developers. If the developer didn't take the time and care to develop an app for Android, the same thing would happen.
    12-20-11 04:01 PM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD