Haven't got them on my PRIV or either of my DTEK phones and I don't expect to.
    Why not? If BlackBerry is now a software company, irrespective of actually being in the handset business, those devices carry their name and being newer devices each and every user that forked out money should expect the update to N and even O. The hardware is present in the devices to do so. I expect the DTEK50 I gave our son to get updated. If it does not then it will be our last BlackBerry branded device. (And I have owned one since a 9000.) I picked up a S7 Edge on a screaming T-Mobile sale and it's on 7.0. Why would the DTEK60 with the same chipset not get N and higher? I realize BlackBerry has had their share of blunders but not updating the OS on their Android play, as noted, would be colossal for them and their handset partners.
    06-21-17 03:28 PM
    Because I bought phones made by a company that divested itself of it's handset business. That same company was on the brink of death 4 years ago. Every BlackBerry device I've ever bought since then was as-is status to me. I have nothing in writing inside any box or contract for any phone that guarantees me anything beyond a functioning device with a limited warranty.
    06-21-17 03:42 PM
    I've used blackberry devices since the 950 and owned since the 7200 series. They've always had incentives to keep customers happy. They are no longer in handset business. They don't care whether I'm happy with discontinued hardware or not. I can't threaten with not buying future devices they don't make anymore. It's like threatening an employee with termination after they've already quit or resigned.
    06-21-17 03:49 PM
    If it does not then it will be our last BlackBerry branded device.
    Frankly, BB doesn't care. They left the business except for licensing their Android additions (which still cost a lot of money to update and maintain), and the couple of bucks they make it profit per phone (I strongly doubt it's more than $2-3/phone, net) isn't going to be enough to make them care if they lose it.

The smartphone business, for BB, is now a minuscule piece of revenue, and I honestly doubt that they're counting on having it for more than a couple of years. I'm just not sure the name and software is much of an advantage for TCL and the other licensees, but that remains to be seen.
    06-21-17 09:06 PM
29 12